Status: On Hiatus

This Is Bonkers

Surprises

Sunday was a fairly uneventful day. I slept in since I didnt have plans, and mostly lounged around the house for the day.
I had gone for a very long walk late in the day when I got a text from Mary.
"Hannah, I have bad news."
I was temporarily scared before calming down, it was probably something as stupid as running out of coca-cola.
"What is it?" I asked, continuing to walk while texting.
"It's Amy." Was the short reply that stopped my heart for a second.
"What do you mean?" I struggled to type, my hands going slightly numb at the thought of something actually bad happening to Amy.
"She was in a car crash." came the next text and I stumbled over my feet.
I didnt get the chance to text back when another one came.
"She's been rushed to the hospital, and she's currently unconcious."
I stopped dead in my tracks. My eyes began to sting with tears and I put my phone back into my pocket, unable to text anything back to Mary.
I slumped against the nearest wall, trying to sort out my feelings and what I was going to do.
Looking around and remembering how long I'd been walking, I knew I was atleast half an hour from my house. But, I was only ten or fifteen minutes from someone elses.
I dragged my phone out of my pocket and typed incoherently, hoping autocorrect could fix it.
"I'm coming over. Make sure it's you who answers the door." I managed to type and send.
The text back from Sam was almost instantaneous and I only glanced at it before shoving my phone in my pocket.
"What? Haz what's wrong?" was the text.
I began to run my way to Sam's, surprised I wasn't crashing into things.
I had just talked to Amy last night. Who knew she'd be in a car crash? One that could end up being fatal. I didnt want to be alone right now, and I didnt want to try and go all the way back home. I wanted a friend right now, someone who could really calm me down, maybe even force a smile out of me. And if anyone could do that, it was Sam.
I made it to the house. Although as I knocked on the door I wasn't even sure it was the right one, as my vision was blurred with tears I refused to let fall. But soon the door opened, revealing a worried looking Sam behind it.
"Oh my god, Haz what's wrong?" He asked, pulling me into the house.
"Can we go somewhere quiet?" I asked, tears and lack of breath choking my words.
"Well our parents aren't home, and Ellie's in her room, but we can go to my room." he said.
I slipped out of my shoes quickly as Sam took me to his and Mitch's room, never letting go of my wrist.
Mitch sat on the edge of his bed, looking up at us when we walked in the room.
"Is she okay?" Mitch asked as Sam closed the door behind him.
"I'm not sure, but she doesnt look it." he answered.
Silently, I sat on the floor in a crosslegged position, unsure of what to do or say. Sam sat next to me, placing his arm around my shoulders in a comforting way.
"Sorry for showing up rather unexpectedly." I said, having calmed down a little.
"No it's fine. What's wrong?" Sam asked, brushing my hair out of my face.
"My best friend from Canada, her name's Amy, she was in a car crash today." I said, twiddling my fingers. "She's unconscious, so she's at the hospital. I dont think she'll die or anything, but it's possible! I just talked to her last night, who knew this would happen?" I said, the tears finally beginning to fall. "I was out on a walk when Mary texted me the news, and I was really far from my house. I was starting to cry, and I didnt want to walk all the way home. I wanted to be with someone who could comfort me, and maybe even make me smile. I wasn't far from your house, so I just kinda decided I'd come here. Sorry."
"Stop apologizing Haz, it's fine." Sam said, pulling me towards him so my head was on his shoulder. "Amy'll be fine. Does Mary know you're here?"
"No." I mumbled. "But I dont want to tell her, she'll come and pick me up, and I want to stay. If you dont mind." I said.
"I dont mind. But you should probably tell her, Hannah." Sam said.
Usually, it sounded weird to me when he said Hannah instead of Haz, but right now it sounded kind of nice.
"Please dont." I said.
"How long are you staying?" Sam asked.
"I dont know." I said quietly, cuddled into Sam's shoulder.
"It's pretty late," Mitch said. "why were you out so late?"
"Fresh air before bed, it's nice." I said, noticing everything I said was much quieter than normal.
"It is pretty late." Sam said, glancing at his watch. "I cant believe you walked out this far. It's nine o'clock, it'd be almost ten by the time you got back to your house."
"That's why I'm here." I said.
"You think she should stay the night?" Mitch asked.
Sam nodded and I blinked.
"I couldn't. There's school tomorrow, and I can't just stay here." I objected.
"It's a long weekend, Haz. No one has school tomorrow." Sam pointed out.
"Oh. Well I can't stay, that'd be rude of me." I insisted.
"I'm not letting you leave." Sam said, wiping the semi-dried tears from my face with his sleeve.
For a moment, I was glad of my waterproof makeup. Otherwise I'd look like a raccoon by now.
"You can take my bed, I'll sleep on the couch." Mitch offered.
"No Mitch. I understand you're not letting me leave, so I will stay, but I'm not taking your bed. I'll take the couch." I sniffled.
"Guests aren't allowed to sleep on the couch." Mitch said.
"Well then just sleep with me." I said. "Your bed's big enough, and it'll be nice having someone next to me."
"Ohkay. . ." Mitch said, a little unsure.
"Are your parents going to be okay with this?" I asked, looking up at Sam.
"They'll be out late, I'll tell them tomorrow morning. I'm sure they'll understand. Now, let's get you off the floor." Sam said, standing up and offering me a hand.
I accepted the offer and was soon on my feet again.
"Do you need something to sleep in?" Sam asked, glancing at my jeans and varsity jacket.
"Uhm, I guess." I said, feeling a little uncomfortable in this situation. I had gotten myself into this situation though.
"What have you got under the jacket?" Sam asked, going through his dresser.
"A midriff." I said, unbuttoning my jacket to reveal a midriff which was shorter than most of mine.
"You can have this." Sam said, throwing a random t-shirt at me. "And Mitch can probably lend you joggers or something."
"Ohk. Thankyou." I said.
"Yeah, I've got some joggers." Mitch said, standing up to go through his own clothes.
He tossed me a light grey pair of joggers, which would be a bit big on me since he was taller. But they'd definitely be comfortable.
"Thankyou." I said again. "Do I change here?" I asked.
"Sure, we'll turn around." Sam said, doing as he said.
Mitch followed suit and I began to undress. When I pulled Sam's shirt over my head, I noticed it smelled good. Different from Mitchell's jumper from long ago, but good. I slipped into Mitch's joggers. They were a little big as expected, but very comfortable. Sam's shirt was big on me too, since he was taller than Mitchell. I probably looked like a dwarf, but I was comfy.
"Thankyou." I said for the third time, unable to stop saying it. "You can turn around."
The boys turned and stifled a small laugh, sending me large smiles.
"I look like a dwarf, dont I?" I laughed.
These boys really could make me smile, no matter what.
"Just a little." Sam laughed. "C'mere."
I walked over to him, unsure why he was beckoning me over. He squeezed me into a tight hug, forcing my face into his chest. I wrapped my arms around his waist, unable to stand on my toes to reach his neck at the moment.
"You smell good." I mumbled absentmindedly.
"Thanks." Sam laughed. "You look tired, should we sleep now?" he said, releasing me from the hug.
"I'm not tired." I said, supressing a yawn.
"Yes you are Haz. C'mon, you need sleep. I'm making you breakfast in the morning, so you'd better not sleep too late."
"Sam?" I said.
"Yes?" he asked.
"You're amazing. I love you. I love you both." I said.
The boys exchanged a look.
"We love you too Haz." They said in unison.
I smiled. It was a tired and slightly sad smile, but it was still a smile.
I made my way over to Mitch's bed and tucked myself in. Mitch got in too, although he still looked a little awkward. Sam switched off the lights and snuck into his own bed, and soon the room was silent as we all tried to sleep.
I thought I'd be awake forever, thinking about Amy. But I was out surprisingly fast.
When I woke up, I glanced at the nearest clock. It was only around seven in the morning, and the boys were still asleep. Speaking of the boys, I clued in to something odd. I was cuddled into Mitchell's arms. I guess this had happened while we were asleep, it actually didn't really surprise me, and didnt bother me. I was comfortable, and Mitch smelled good. I felt protected and comforted. So I closed my eyes and drifted back to sleep for awhile.
The second time I woke up, I was alone in the room. I didnt really want to venture out into their house, so I sat for awhile and pondered my options.
But I was saved from decision when Sam walked into the room.
"Oh good you're awake."
I nodded groggily.
"I've already explained why you're here to my parents and Ellie. That way, when you come out of our room, especially wearing our clothes, they won't start assuming things." Sam said.
I smiled a little, laughing at what they'd probably think.
"I'm already making breakfast, so you might wanna brush your hair, and then come eat. You can borrow Ellie's hairbrush in the bathroom." Sam said.
"Where's the bathroom?" I asked, having never used it before at their house.
"I'll show you." Sam smiled.
I got up and followed him out of the room and down the hall a little to their bathroom. Glancing in the mirror, I noticed my messy hair. Surprisingly, my makeup wasn't too bad.
"You can use that hairbrush." He said, pointing to a purple one. "Fix yourself up and join us in the kitchen." he said before walking off.
I ran the brush through my hair quickly, fixing knots and flattening it down. I grabbed a little toilet paper and put some soap and water on it. Using this, I attempted to scrub my makeup off. It worked pretty well, and I didnt look quite as bad now. Deciding I was presentable, I went to find Sam in the kitchen.
Sam was making crepes, one of my favourite breakfast foods. Mitch was sitting on the stools at the counter like my house and beckoned me over to him. I sat next to him and smiled.
"Good morning Hannah." Jenny said, walking into the room. "I hope you're feeling a little better. We called Mary to let her know you're here. She was a little scared since she didnt know where you were, but she's alright now. You can set up a pickup time later. For now, enjoy the breakfast my lovely son is making you."
"Thankyou for calling Mary." I said. "And you're sons really are lovely, both of them. Best friends I could have."
Jenny sent a very nice smile to me and left the room.
"You're making me crepes?" I asked, paying attention to Sam again.
The boys hadn't changed out of what they'd been wearing when I got here. Which was fine, cuz they were wearing joggers and t-shirts. Well, Sam was wearing a long-sleeve shirt actually. And I hadn't changed out of what I was wearing either, and the outfit wasnt even mine.
"No Haz. I'm making these for myself, even though I promised to make you breakfast. They're all mine, so don't even try." He said sarcastically, sending me a warm smile.
"Are you two not eating?" I asked.
"We've eaten, Haz. We were awake before you." Sam pointed out.
"Alright, alright. Can I have something to drink?" I asked, my mouth dry.
"Whadaya want?" Mitch asked, hopping from the stool.
"Whadaya have?" I asked, immitating him a little.
"Water, orange juice, we've still got coke." he said, opening the fridge.
"No cola for breakfast, I already drink too much of it." I laughed. "I'll have a glass of orange juice please." I said.
"Sure thing, sweetheart." Mitch said, grabbing a glass from the cupboard.
I was taken slightly aback by being called sweetheart. I wasn't sure exactly how Mitch had meant it. Had he actually meant it? Was he really calling me sweetheart? Or was he saying it in that joking sort of way? Either way, it didnt really bother me. But I hadn't been expecting it.
I clued back in when a glass of orange juice was set in front of me. Instead of reaching across the small counter to place it in my reach, he had walked around the counter to me, and practically reached over my shoulder. His hand brushed my arm after setting down the cup, and he took his seat next to me again.
It hadn't been delibrate. I was over-analyzing everything, it wasn't good to think too much before breakfast. Even if I skipped breakfast on most school days.
A plate was set in front of me, and a couple of crepes were placed on it. A fork and knife were arranged next to it, and my glass of juice was adjusted to create a perfect setting.
"What do you put on your crepes?" Sam asked.
"Uhm, usually lemon juice and confectioners sugar." I said.
"You're lucky, we've got both." Sam said, pulling the sugar out of the nearby cupboard. He went to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of lemon juice. "You'll need a spoon then, hmm?"
"Yeah, for the sugar." I said.
The crepes looked delicious, and were pretty much my favourite breakfast meal. Paired with an orange juice and my best friends, this was going to be an amazing breakfast.
"Thank you so much, my lovely friend Samuel." I said as he he handed me a spoon.
"It's just breakfast, Haz. No need to act like I just saved your life." he said, returning to the stove to continue making crepes.
Had he saved my life? In a way, I think he kinda did. If I hadn't been friends with Sam and Mitch, and I was out walking when I received that text, what might I have done?
I began to place my toppings on my crepe. When I decided I had the right amount, I rolled it up and began to cut it. I was the type of person who liked to cut the entire thing up before taking a bite, I also held my fork upside down when eating pancakes or crepes.
I popped a small peice of the crepe in my mouth, and moaned in satisfaction.
"So it's good?" Sam asked.
"Very goob." I said, my mouth still full and muffling my words.
Mitch sat with his right elbow on the counter and his hand propping his face up. He was looking at me with an amused smile.
I continued to eat the amazing breakfast, although I ate about five crepes when Sam had made so many more.
"I'm full." I sighed, pushing the plate away and drinking what was left of my orange juice.
"We'll put the leftovers in the fridge, dont worry about it." Sam said, picking up the plate full of crepes, as well as the lemon juice, and putting them in the fridge. He came back and put the sugar away, before taking my cutlery to the sink.
Glancing at the clock, I noticed it was about nine fourty. I didnt really want to leave, but I should probably call Mary soon.
"I should probably call Mary before long, shouldn't I?" I said unenthusiastically.
"Mm, yeah." Sam said, sensing I didnt want to.
"I dont want to go." I said.
"Well, invite Mary for some tea. She can sit and talk with our parents, she can meet us again and hopefully get a better impression." he said.
I laughed a little, remembering the last and first time they'd met was when I'd broken my wrist. She had briefly seen and talked to them at the hospital, too worried about me to exchange in actual conversation. Plus, I had been tumbling with them when I'd broken my wrist. And as a mother, even a fake one, she must've partially blamed them.
"That's a good idea." I brightened up. "Where's my phone?"
"On Mitch's dresser." Sam said. "But you should probably ask our parents if they're okay with it first."
"Oh true. I'll ask." I said, hopping off the stool. "I've never met your dad actually." I said, walking into the living room where they sat.
"Hello Jenny." I beamed. "And I dont believe I've had the chance to meet you, I'm Hannah." I said, sticking out a hand to the short man sitting in the easy chair.
"Oh I know who you are." He said, shaking my hand. "I'm Paul. Very nice to meet you, Hannah."
"You too." I said, retracting my hand when he let go. "I was wondering though, I dont really want to leave right away, and you've never met my...." I trailed off. "Mum? You've never met Mary." I corrected. "Sam suggested I invite her here for tea, but I cant exactly do that without asking." I laughed.
"Oh sure, Honey." Jenny said. "I'd love to meet her. Go invite her."
"Thankyou." I said, jogging back to the boys bedroom to grab my phone.
"Hey Mary. Come on over for some tea, come meet the boys and their parents. No is not an option." I sent.
"Alright, no use argueing with you, is there? I'll be there before long." She texted back as I sat back on the stool beside Mitch.
"She's coming over." I announced.
"Jeeze, guess we should make ourselves presentable then, hmm?" Sam asked, looking towards Mitch.
"You dont say jeeze." I laughed. "And she won't care what you're wearing."
"I got it from you, ya div. And we're atleast going to change out of joggers." Sam said.
"And just leave me here in your clothes?" I asked, laughing.
"You dont have to look presentable, you live with her." Sam said, walking towards their bedroom at a slow pace.
"Alright, go get fancied up then." I laughed.
"Will do." Mitch said, hopping off the stool next to me and heading after Sam.
The boys appearred again a few moments later, not entirely fancied up, but dressed nicely in casual clothes.
Sam was wearing a white long sleeve shirt, over-sized in the sleeves, with thin black stripes. He paired it with dark jeans and a black hat.
Mitch went for the simple look he worked well. The outfit was almost identical to the one he'd worn on Saturday. Simple white t-shirt, dark jeans, and the black and white beaded necklace. The only difference was on his face. Glasses.
I recalled that I did actually know he had glasses, but I'd never seen him in them. He looked cute.
"I've never seen you wear your glasses." I said.
"They make me look sophisticated." Mitch said.
"That's impressive." I laughed. "Sam, if you want to impress Mary, pull your pants up." I said.
"What about Mitch?" Sam made a face at me, but proceeded to pull his pants up.
"Mitch doesn't sag his pants as much as you." I said. "And now I feel stupid, here in your clothes." I laughed. "And a little cold actually." I said, suddenly realizing my arms were cold.
"You want my jumper?" Mitch asked.
"I, uh...Sure" I said.
I wanted to refuse, since I already stole their clothes too often. But I was cold, and Mitch's jumper was amazingly warm. And it smelled good.
Mitch walked back into their bed room, and quickly returned with the gray jumper I'd stolen from him a long time ago. He tossed it to me, and I jumped forward a little to catch it. I quickly pulled it over my head as a knock sounded on the door, and attempted to smooth my hair atleast a little.
"I'll get it!" I called, almost acting as if I lived here.
I sped to the door, and opened it with a smile on my face.
"Good Morning Mary!" I said, opening the door wide and stepping back so she could step in.
"Good morning, Hannah. You scared me last night." she said, stepping in and taking off her shoes.
"I know. Come meet the Craskes!" I said pulling her into the living room where the boys had gone to sit with their parents. "The boys' mum, Jenny. Their dad, Paul. The boys themselves, Mitch and Sam, and they're dog Cassie." I said, pointing to each in turn. "They have a little sister, Ellie, too, but I'm not sure where she is."
The boys were sitting on the large couch, and I squished in between them. Paul and Jenny were on the loveseat, and that left the easy chair for Mary. There was still room on the big couch, since the boys and I were squished together, but I was pretty sure she'd take the chair.
"Nice to meet you all." Mary said, confirming my thoughts and taking her seat in the big chair. "And you again, boys."
"Lovely to meet you too." Jenny said. "We've met Hannah a few times, and we hear about her a lot. She's very good friends with our sons, and lovely to have around. But we've never met the woman who takes care of her. Hope you don't mind she stayed the night?"
"Oh no, it's alright. But she should have called or texted me." Mary said.
"Told you." Sam whispered into my ear.
"Shh." I laughed.
"How long are we going to be sitting here politely?" Mitch asked into my other ear.
"I dont know, until we can figure out an excuse to leave." I said quietly.
"Anyway," I said louder. "We'll leave you guys to get acquainted." I said, standing from the couch and gesturing for the boys to follow.
"Who's clothes are those?" Mary asked, a little perplexed.
"Mitch's joggers and jumper, and Sam's shirt underneath." I laughed. "I had nothing to sleep in. Not like it's the first time I've borrowed clothes from them." I said, thinking back to the minigolf adventure. I even still had Sam's hat.
"True. Alright, I know you want to leave, so go on." she said, using her hand to wave us away.
I dashed off to the boys bedroom with them in tow. Now that I'd gotten Mary to talk to Jenny and Paul, I didnt know what to do. So I simply plunked myself down on Mitch's bed and happily wrapped the blankets around my legs.
"Am I going home in these clothes or?" I asked as the boys arrived and sat with me, one on either side.
"If you want, you can just give 'em back to us tomorrow at the studio." Sam said.
"Oh great, more weird looks and probably questions from the other Diversity boys." I laughed, resting my head onto Sam's shoulder.
"Is my shoulder more cuddly than Mitch's or is there another reason you choose me over him? Not that it insults me, I'm flattered." Sam laughed. "And, let me point out, this is the reason we get weird looks."
"Shh Sam. And yes, your shoulder is more cuddly, because you're taller. When I sit next to Mitch, we're like the same height, but when I sit next to you, you're still a lot taller than me. This means I dont have to crane my neck at an awkward angle to rest on your shoulder."
"You're more like my girlfriend than Jade." Sam laughed.
"Really?" I asked. "You two are so cute together."
A knock sounded on the boys' door, despite it not being closed, and Mary's head poked through the gap.
"I'm going soon Hannah, and I'd like to take you with me." She smiled, a small laugh passing her lips.
"Alright, I'll meet you in a few seconds." I said back.
She nodded and left, probably going to wait by the front door or even in the car.
"Thanks so much for being an amazing friend Sam." I said, giving him a tight hug, my chin on his shoulder.
"No problem, Haz. See you tomorrow. If you don't mind, I've gotta go take a shower." he said, standing from the bed.
"No, go." I said, not minding if he left before I did.
Sam nodded and stepped out of the room to go shower.
"And Mitch," I said. "You're an amazing friend too." I hugged him tightly too.
"Are you jealous of Jade and Sam, Haz?" Mitch asked.
"I, uh. I dont know, did I sound jealous?" I asked, not expecting the question.
"A little, never had a relationship like theirs?"
"I've never been in a relationship." I mumbled, looking down and blushing a little.
"What about a first kiss?" Mitch asked.
"Nope." I mumbled.
Next, Mitch was tilting my chin up and forcing me to look into his eyes. My eyes widened when he began to lean towards me, and my heartbeat quickened when I realized what was happening. I closed my eyes just as our lips touched.
The kiss was gentle, just as a first kiss should be. It was short too, and soon Mitch's lips left mine. My lips felt cold as his fingers left my chin and I opened my eyes. I was sure I was blushing like an idiot, but he only smiled, appearring satisified with himself.
"You were saying?" he asked, a smug tone to his voice.
"Hannah!" Came the call from Mary, interrupting the small trance I'd been put into.
"I better go." I said, standing up and grabbing my clothes from the pile on the floor. "Bye."
I stepped out of the door and ran down the hallway to the front door. I slipped into my shoes silently, and stepped out the door with Mary following.
"You're taking their clothes home?" she asked, closing the door behind us.
"Yeah, they told me to." I said, not entirely paying attention to the subject at hand.
I got into the car silently, sitting behind the driver's seat. I buckled my seat belt as Mary backed out of the driveway.
I didn't make an effort to start a conversation on the way home, too caught up in thoughts. Mary didn't bother either, leaving me to peacefully figure out what just happened.
What had just happened? The conversation had started with a question from Mitch about being jealous of Sam and Jade. That had led into relationships and first kisses. When I said I'd never had a first kiss, Mitch tilted my chin up again, and kissed me. Had the entire conversation been planned by him to end with a kiss? Or was the kiss more coincidental?
And what did that all mean? Did he like me? Well I suppose he wouldn't have kissed me if he didnt. Especially with how smug he'd looked after.
And how would our relationship play out now? Would we become boyfriend and girlfriend? Not that I'd mind that. Or would we just become all awkward around eachother?
All these thoughts clustered my mind until we'd made it home and I was already walking into my room. As I flopped onto my bed, the only thought I had was 'I guess I'll find out tomorrow'.
♠ ♠ ♠
All you impatient readers happy now? xP I know that's what everyone's been waiting for haha.

Enjoy! Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes xP This chapter was pretty much planned before I even started the story lol