Sunset Veins

Arrival.

Floridan sun seemed to have no mercy on me. Even in the car with AC on full blast, I felt the little amount of sunshine burn the patch of skin on my arm, and I was sure I'd have trouble seeing seeing the road if I didn't have a pair of sunglasses on. But there was only an hour left till I arrived, and it was no time to complain. I was grateful knowing that I'd be in the safe hands of my grandparents soon. I knew grandma had made my favorite dish like she had promised she would on the phone.

I was actually really happy to be spending my summer at my grandparents' house till mid-July. Until I had to go settle down in my dorm. Until I was officially a college student. But for now, I was Lucas, still a highschool student at heart, ready to have my last summer in which I could still pretend I was a little boy.

It's not that I wanted to stay a kid forever. I was 18, and that meant something, I knew I was mature for my age. Being 18 meant being legal. Being able to go to the military and vote meant I was an adult. But there was still a little kid in me who liked kites, who still believed in Tooth Fairy and who had listened to his parents' fights all night when they thought he was asleep, there was still a little kid I hoped to kill this summer. And that's why I had taken up the offer. To get away from my poor excuse of a family. That, and to see my grandparents. I loved them dearly.

And that's why I was glad when I stopped the car, got out and rang the bell, that's why I was so happy to see my grandmother's beaming face, her wrinkles that were carved deep into her skin even distinctiver now that she was smiling. She took a long look at me, staring me up and down before she spoke the words I knew that she was going to all along in a high pitched voice.

"My boy, have you gone scrawny!"

I smiled at her words, taking a step towards her before I lifted my arms to wrap it around her fragile body.

"Well, grandma, you have a month and a half to change that."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first story, so I hope you liked the start. It's a bit slow, but you can always check out the Characters to see the upcoming people that're gonna be in the story!
I would love some constructive criticism and feedback -negative and positive- and I hope you liked it.

Hope.