Always Be Your Hero

One

“TONY!” She screamed, pulling herself up off the floor. Quickly, she ran to the room next door where the shots were being fired. Her eyes scanned the dark room, fixating on the mass laying lifelessly in the middle of the floor.

“Tony!” She gasped, rushing over to his side. She placed a hand on his chest and felt the warmth of the red liquid on her palm. He rolled his head to the side lazily, barely opening his eyes.

“Run,” He whispered, but it was too late. Two more shots rang out and her body weight dropped instantly on top of him.


Elizabeth shot straight up out of bed, swallowing deep breaths of air. She ran her fingers through her messy locks and looked around her room, realizing that what had just happened was all a dream.

She leaned over to the table beside her bed and grabbed her cell phone, lighting up the screen and scrolling through her contacts.

“Hello?” A groggy voice answered.

“Gibbs.”

“It happened again, didn’t it?” He asked, turning on a light in the background.

Elizabeth nodded, but remembered that he couldn’t see her. “Yeah,” She answered quietly. “This makes number four this week.”

“What happened tonight?” Gibbs asked, sliding out from his bed and stepping out in to the hall so that his partner could sleep peacefully.

Elizabeth sighed. “He was shot tonight,” She gulped. “Last night he was stabbed. The other night he was choked. But tonight was the worst,” She began crying. “I was shot too.”

“Lizzie, no one is there. They aren’t coming after Tony, okay?”

“But—“

“There is no one there, I promise.”

“But---“

Gibbs exhaled loudly. “Give me ten minutes and I’ll be right over.”

“Thank you Jethro.”

“You know how I feel about relationships in the work place,” He said in almost a fatherly tone. “This is why I don’t encourage them.”

“We aren’t even in a relationship!” She protested, wiping away a tear from her cheek.

“Exactly.” And with that he had hung up, leaving her to question why she had even told him in the first place about her thing for Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo.

There was nothing easy about wanting to be with a man that could potentially get killed almost every single day. She had reoccurring nightmares that often varied in the way in which he was killed, but they always ended in his death no matter what.

She never had dreams about herself dying, even though she was also a Special Agent as well. Though she spent most of her time behind a desk, much like McGee so she didn’t necessarily have to put herself in a great deal of danger.

A knock on the door startled her from her thoughts. She jumped out of bed and grabbed her robe from the closet, slipping it over her shoulders and pulling it around her body.

Another knock came, this one more urgent than the first.

“Calm down Gibbs,” She chuckled, unlatching the four bolts that held her door shut, revealing the silver haired man behind the wooden door.

“Thank you,” She said again, stepping aside so that he could look around her place and make sure that no one was in it. She took a seat down on her couch, waiting patiently for three words he always said that made her feel better.

“It’s all clear.” She breathed a heavy sigh of relief.

“I got your call Boss.” She turned her head, seeing the man of her nightmares standing there in jeans and a NCIS t-shirt. “What’s going on?” He asked, his eyes wandering over to where Elizabeth sat.

“Good,” Gibbs nodded. “You both know how I feel about relationships at work,” He began. “And you both know how I feel about this one.” Gibbs turned his attention straight towards Elizabeth. “You need to tell him about this, right now.”

“I---“
“DiNozzo.”

“Yeah?”

“Stay with her tonight. I don’t care what I told you before. You stay with her.”

Tony smiled a little. “Right Boss.”

“Now you two have a good night,” Gibbs said, excusing himself from her home and shutting the door behind him.

Tony looked over at his girlfriend, whose eyes were all red and puffy by now. “Babe, what is going on?”

She took in a deep breath, slowly letting it go. “I’ve been having dreams… About you…”

He raised his brow in a quirky manner, almost seductively in a way.

She shook her head, staring at him face to face. “Not those kinds of dreams.” His face dropped becoming a bit more serious. He took notice of her timid body language and wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulder, pulling her into his chest.

“You’re dead,” She cried out.

“I’m not dead,” He said kissing the top of her head. “I’m right here.”

“No,” She said, pulling back a bit. “You die in my dreams.”

Finally realizing what she had been saying, he cupped her cheeks, bringing her eyes up to his level. “Elizabeth, I am not dying. I will not die. Not as long as I am with you.”

“But—“

He didn’t even give her a chance to retaliate. Instead, he brought his face to hers, gently pressing their lips together, letting her know that everything was alright.

But just as soon as she had finally relaxed a bit, a crash came from her bedroom window. Her worst nightmares were coming true.

Her breath hitched in her throat, knowing exactly how this was all going to play out. Though this time, she did not know how it was going to end.

Tony moved his arm from around her and slid it to the side of his waist, placing a hand on his gun. “Wait right here,” He instructed, slowly standing up from the couch they were sitting on. “I will be right back.”

She watched him walk down the hall, but soon closed her eyes, hoping that this was all just a bad dream that she would soon wake up from and call Gibbs to have him come over and check the place.

Shot rang through the hall, jolting Elizabeth from her thoughts.

“TONY!” She screamed, pulling herself up off the couch. She ran down the hall to the room where the shots were fired, quickly glancing it over with her eyes. First thing she saw was Tony’s body laying lifelessly on the floor in the middle of the room.

“Tony!” She gasped, rushing over to his side, kneeling on the floor beside him. “Oh god,” She muttered. “I knew this was going to happen, I knew it.”

He rolled his head to the side lazily, barely opening his eyes, rolling his head back up to face the ceiling. Then he began to chuckle lightly. Elizabeth was clearly confused by what was going on.

“Stupid punk,” He said, sitting up a bit and lifting up his t-shirt. “He should’ve been wearing one of these,” He laughed, showing off the glimmering copper bullet implanted in his black vest.

Elizabeth didn’t even hesitate to throw her arms around him, pushing him back down to the floor. He wrapped his arms around her back, holding her tightly.

“I’ll always be your hero baby.”