Why Do People Always Presume I'm Lying?

Chapter Three:

I opened the door to the sound of knocking, and there stood Steve himself, looking as dashing as ever.

"Hello, Steve." I smiled warmly at the captain.

"Hi Delaney. Wow, you look beautiful tonight." He complimented, while studying my evening attire.

"Thank you."

He held out his arm, and I accepted his hand and we walked to stark towers next door. We got in no problem thanks to Steve, and once we got inside, I certainly was glad we had. Basically everyone in a five mile radius was here, and everyone had their gaurd down. It would be a perfect time to get in with the avengers.

"Wow, this place is gorgeous!" I commented, noticing all of the beautiful decorations and architecture.

"Tony basically spends his life in this building, it better look nice." He laughed.

"Can you introduce me to Tony?"

"Uh, yeah, I suppose so. Follow me." Tony led me through a maze of guests as I surveyed each one careful. Threat. Simple. Cute. Old. Young. Easy to take out. Wow, you're good looking. The basics. Once we made our way over to the host, he was conversing with some very important people, but that didn't really stop Steve.

"Tony, I'd like you to meet my friend, Delaney. I hope you don't mind that I invited her."

"Cap, I don't know half the people I invited let alone notice those I didn't. She's fine all the same. Hello, I'm Tony Stark of Stark industries, and you, my darling are gorgeous."

He extended his hand which I gladly went to shake, but instead he kissed the top of it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Tony." I smiled, as a young looking red head approach Tony's side.

"This is my beautiful girlfriend, Pepper." He beamed loooking at her.

"It's very nice to meet you Pepper. I'm Delaney Maxwell." I shook her hand, and she instantly welcomed me into some sort of friendship.

"Hi, Delaney. Are you enjoying yourself?" She politely asked.

"Well, I've just arrived, but it's amazing here! You two know how to throw quite the party, and this place is spectacular!"

"Thank you. It's Tony's baby, basically." She whispered, laughing, and I found myself laughing with her. I had to do this soon before I found friendship with them. I doubted I would. They are the reason my dad's so mad all the time.

"Well, I think I want to see the rest of this place. Steve, show me around?"

"Sure. I'll talk to you later, Stark."

He walked me around, and I was introduced to many people, including the remaining members of the avengers.

Bruce was nice. He was a genius, as it said, and he was just an all around sweet guy. Natasha was real pretty. She didn't really talk to me though. She was polite, but very short about it. Clint was nice, but he was hanging around Natasha, and she didn't seem like she wanted to stick around, so he went with her. The only one left was Thor, and he wasn't even in the city, so all was well.

Later in the evening, I found myself sitting alone at an open table picking at my appetizers, and drinking a glass of wine. "Hey, you seem all alone over here!" Pepper said to me, walking to where I was seated.

"Yeah. Parties were never my thing." I responded.

"Well, with someone like Tony, parties have to be your thing." She laughed.

"How is it, being with Tony?" I asked her. I could get some real information out of her..

"It's alright. I mean, of course as every couple does, we argue, and he acts like child sixty percent of the time, but it all works out." Pepper spoke.

"Do you love him?"

"Tony?"

"Yeah. I don't mean to pry, I'm just curious."

"Yeah, I do. I love him a lot."

I had no choice but to smile, but also be jealous of what they had. They seemed to flow nicely and I only knew them for a little over an hour and a half. And I'm sure Tony would give anything to keep her safe...

"That's great. I like you Pepper. I just moved to New York, so basically I don't know anyone here, but I'm glad I'm making some friends."

"Of course! We can get together sometime and have lunch or go shopping. Tony is always having me help him, I barely have any time to make myself some friends!"

"Well, I'll definitely take you up on that."

We talked and laughed for a little while longer. I really did like Pepper, and I almost felt bad about betraying them. Almost.

After I talked to Pepper, I found my way around, and was actually talking to Dr. Banner and my phone went off.

"I'm so sorry, I have to take this though. Excuse me."

"Go ahead." Bruce replied, and I made my way out to the balcony where I answered the device.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Delaney. It's your father."

"Hey dad. How's it going?"

I'm good. How's it down there?" Have you made any progress with the avengers?"

"Yeah, actually I-" I began, but then save a shadow behind me, and found Steve standing there.

"Sorry." He apologized. "I just didn't know where you went. I'll leave you be though."

"Oh, you're fine, I'll be just one second." I held a finger up for him to wait there.

"One second, what?"

"Oh, no. Not you dad. Sorry. I was talking to my friend Steve."

"As in Captain America? What are you doing with him?"

"I'm at a party hosted by Tony Stark, but I have to go, I don't want to be rude."

Alright, Laney, but I want to know later, so you call me. I miss you."

"I miss you too, Dad. Love you. Bye."

I hung up the phone and saw that Steve was still there.

"Sorry about that. He's just worried and all."

He nodded. "That's understandable. I would be too if I had a daughter alone in a big city."

"Exactly." I grinned, and looked out the edge. "It's so nice here. New York at night."

"It is. It's one of those cities that never sleeps. I love it here, but sometimes it's a little too much."

"I understand. Sometimes the city is too much for me too."

He smiled at me, but didn't say anything, and a few moments passed.

"There you two are. Tony wants you to toast with him, Cap. You know how he is." Clint laughed.

"Come on." Steve spoke, and I once again took his arm as he led the way into the party.

The rest night went smoothly, and to top it all off, I was invited to a brunch there in two days. When it was over, Steve took me home, and being the gentleman he was wouldn't do any less than walk me to my apartment door.

"Well, thank you for coming with me tonight.. I hope you had fun."

"I did. It was a great time. Thanks for inviting me."

"Anytime. So I'll see you soon?"

"Definitely. Goodnight Steve."

"Goodnight Delaney."

I closed the door softly, and went into my room where I instantly fell into a dreamless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, wow! Three (now four) chapters in and I already have 14 subs! Thank you all so much! It must mean I'm doing something right :) So thank you, and also I heard from two of you, but I'd love to hear from the rest of you, so if you like it, leave me a comment, tell me what you like about it! I'll try to update later today or tomorrow. I just got a new puppy, so I'm busy playing with him and such! Say hi to Jake guys!

*******Regarding her age: I changed her age from 19 to 20 because it seems more sensible. I hope it doesn't cause any confusion, so I'm clearing that up now.

-I won't do many, but sometimes I just get bored and enjoy making them so here's her Outfit! Hope you like it!