Why Do People Always Presume I'm Lying?

Chapter Five:

Dreams are something I consider a gift. It's a chance for your mind to explore and think on it's own without your thoughts and conscience to intervene. It's a time for you to sit back and see what you think of freely. Sometimes, it could be a memory, something you don't even know happened, perhaps you were too young to remember, but it's there, and it's it's alive in your sleep.

We all dream four to six times a night. Sometimes, it's about the one we love, or the one we miss. Sometimes it's about someone we've never seen before, but did you know that everyone in your dreams you've seen at least once in your lifetime? The mind is complex thing, and I've spent much of my life trying to study it, but dreams are difficult, because no one knows about your dreams but you, and sometimes that's a scary thing.

Most people think dreams are an escape from the harsh world into a sweet bliss, but sometimes, your dreams are something you want to escape. They aren't always extreme enough to be nightmares, but they scare you. The simple thought that your mind came up with something of the sort can scare a lot of people, it scares me. It can be downright terrifying knowing your mind capable of such things, but our minds are capable of anything if you think about it.

I, myself, have no idea how far my mind can go, and I wonder what I can do with it.

Tonight, I had a dream of my mother. It's the worst dream I've ever had, but although part of me wishes I could forget all about it, another part of me hopes it'll stay there forever just so I can remember her.

Her name was Sandy. She was beautiful and I was always so proud to be her daughter. I missed her so much.

"Loki, take Delaney and get her out of here." She shouted over the explosions.

"Sandy, I am not leaving without you."

"Yes you will! She is only a little girl. She needs her father."

"She needs her mother even more!" Loki responded as another explosion sounded.

A small girl with brown curly hair looked up at bother her parents, confused and scared. Why were they fighting? What was happening? Why was everything so loud?

"Please. I've caused this, and I am able to end this, just save our daughter." She cried.

"Sandy, please, there has to be another-."

"There isn't and time is almost out, and we'll all die. Get out of here!" Sandy shouted at her spouse.

She then scooped up the little girl and held her tight. "Mommy loves you so much, and I want you to remember that, alright?"

The little girl nodded her head, and recieved one more kiss on her forehead and was given to her father, where he held her close.

The man hugged his wife, and kissed her on the top of her head. "I love you, Sandy."

"I love you too, Loki. Goodbye."

She passed him a small silver item, and he closed it in his hand and ran.

While he couldn't see what was going on his small daughter did, and she saw everything before her eyes. Her mother appearing further and further into the distance and she would never see her again. A moment later, she is attacked. A man. He grabs the woman, and kills her with a knife her right before the girls eyes. She hears her mother scream as the blade pierced her skin, shortening her life by the second. Her mother falls. She screams. There's black.


I jolted up in my bed screaming. It was dark. It was only 4:45 in the morning. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and stared off into nothingness. It was a dream I had often. It always brought the same result. I never told my dad about it either. He will never find out. It would worry him, and I've handled it for 16 years, I can handle it for years to come.

I got up from my bed and walked into the kitchen where I got a bottle of water. I then threw on my shoes, and walked outside. It was fairly cool outside, but it felt nice. I wasn't sure where I'd go, but I had to get out of my apartment. I walked a little ways and found myself at a small park. From there I walked over to a bike path where I found myself on a bench looking out at the water. I stayed here for awhile. It was so peaceful. No one was around, and the water had an eerie calmness about it. I've always found it soothing.

Around 6:00 I felt my body being shaken, and I felt my self stiffen, afraid of who it could be.

"Hey, what are you doing out here?" A familiar voice called.

I opened my eyes and found Bruce Banner looking straight at me.

"I'm not exactly sure." I replied, "How do you remember me?"

"Well, Steve's rarely ever brought up a girl, let alone brought them somewhere we'd all be, so we tend to remember the faces." Bruce laughed.

"Oh." I said, unsure if I should be flattered or some other feeling.

"Are you coming to the brunch this morning?" He asked.

"Oh, that was today? Shit, I totally forgot.."

"If you can't make it I'm sure it's not a big deal."

"No, I can make it, but it's in three hours, and I look dead to the world I'm sure. Plus I have no clue where I'm at."

"I'll help you back to you're apartment, I live right next door remember?" He grinned. I got up by the help of his hand, and we walked back to my apartment by 6:30. By my luck, someone was out on their morning jog around the same time.

"Hey Steve!" Bruce called.

He looked over from across the road confused, and then jogged over realizing who it was.

"Morning you two, I thought you weren't a morning person, Delaney?"

"I'm really not." I laughed. "I have to go though, so I'll see you two in about two hours.."

"See ya, Laney." Bruce said, and I smiled at them both and walked away to my building door.

"Wait, Delaney, am I coming to get you later?" Steve called.

"Yeah." I waved, and walked inside.

I kept feeling an aching inside of me, like I knew how wrong it was from the start, but maybe I was just beginning to understand how wrong it actually was. I held onto the necklace my mother wanted me to have, and I looked inside of it and wondered.

Would my mom be proud of what she saw?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi, so this isn't my best chapter, but it's more about the dream than not, but I assure you they will get better, but as much as I dislike doing this, I ask that you guys comment, at least once telling me what you think! There's more than twenty of you, so if a few of you would, I'd really appreciate it! Also, next chapter will be the brunch, and one of them is tricked by Laney, but who do you think it'll be? :)