Until We Meet Again

Picturesque

"Can I talk to you for a second?" He whispered into my ear, interrupting my current conversation with two of my closest friends. They both stopped talking, watching with curious eyes at the two of us. I nodded, my face falling for just a second before I got a smile on my face once again.

"I'll be right back." I told them, flashing a smile to them before following Tom out of the room to the back screen door. I knew what he wanted to talk about even without him saying a word, now my stomach was making naseous turns as I walked outside, him holding the screen door open for me.

We were at my grandparent's house on a day in June. The sun had set hours ago yet the sky was still a light shade of gray. From where we sat, I could see many stars in the country night sky. Lightning bugs drifted around the grassy yard, all the way back to the line where the woods began.

I sat down on the stone step next to him, taking in the perfect scenery slowly, smelling the evergreen trees. This was a picturesque moment.

"Here," He said, handing me a bouquet of white roses. "These are for you."

"These are so pretty. Thank you." I told him, reaching over to hug him.

"You're welcome." He said. I pulled away, sitting in silence for a moment as the crickets chirped. I watched him in this silence. He was focusing on the stone step, his hands rubbing against his knees. Something was on his mind. We had dated on and off two years ago, and I knew these signs, since I had seen them so many times before.

"What's wrong?" I asked him. He looked up at me, his golden brown eyes alert.

"Huh? Nothing's wrong." He denied.

"Yes there is." I said, reaching down and squeezing his knee, stopping his hand from moving. "Talk to me." His calloused hand stroked mine as he braced himself for what he was going to say.

"Remember, how we said before that we would always love each other? No matter what the circumstances? I always will." He said when he found the right words, watching my face. I must have looked close to tears, because he pressed his hand to my cheek.

"Baby don't cry." He begged.

"I'm not." I told him, even though I wasn't sure myself.

"Baby, I know how hard this is. I know how hard it is for you to date me. It's always been so complicated, and I don't want that for either of us. We've been through a lot these past few years, and we've changed a lot." He explained to me.

"I know, and I wouldn't have changed what we had for the world." I said, feeling sad but strong at the same time. This had to be done.

"I'm sorry I never was what you wanted or needed." I apologized for what I should have said and done a long time ago, back when we did have a relationship before our origional breakup. If I had maybe we wouldn't have been sitting here a year and a half later, realizing how much we have changed.

"You were a great person. I'm glad to have met you and fallen in love with you." He told me, for once not trying to disreguard what I had said about myself. He knew how much pain I had put him through, as well as the pain he had caused me.

"I guess we just shouldn't have jumped ahead and had taken the time, huh?" I told him.

"Yeah." There was a pause between us as I fought for more words.

"Maybe we could...I don't know." I knew now that we couldn't work out, not right now at least, but I didn't want this to end. We had been each others everything at one time in our lives, and I didn't want to call it over just yet, even though I knew it was for the best.

"No, I want this. I'm sure of it. You're going to find someone, at that someone will be right for you. We were never right together, but I'll still always be here for you." He said.

"Same to you. I'll always love you." I told him, reaching out and hugging him, catching one more smell of his sweet scent, wondering when I was going to be able to do this again. I knew that this wasn't the end, but this was just the beginning of something new. He'd always be there, and I would always be there for him. For once, we had made an almost movie-like, picturesque moment, and it was in our breakup. I knew I couldn't have any regrets now about the relationship we had had before; it was time to create a future instead of living in the past.

We pulled away and he touched my face once more. I tried my hardest not to cry as he stood up.

"I have to leave soon. Goodbye." He said.

"No, don't." Tears started to form then. "Please don't say goodbye. Goodbye's are too permanet."

"Okay. Until we meet again?" He said. I smiled up at him, nodding my head in approval.

"Better. Until we meet again." I agreed as he smiled, walking back into the house. I touched the petals on the white roses and looked around the yard once more, capturing this picturesque moment before walking back into the house, our old relationship resolved, and any past arguements forgotten.