Status: Slowly Starting

Reflecting Words

You Say You Know Love

“No.”

Dawson Brooks gave a frustrated sigh as she ran her fingers through her dirty blonde hair before taking a sip of her coffee. “Why not, Nat? I never ask for favors and this isn’t even that big of one.”

Natasha Romanoff looked at the girl whom she considered to be the little sister she never had and said, “I want to help you, Dawson, I really do but I know Steve will never go for it. He hates doing interviews.”

“But this could be my chance for my big break! I’m so tired of writing stupid articles about lost pets and community garage sales. Every other S.H.I.E.L.D. superhero has sat down for an interview except Steve. If I could get the in-depth interview with Captain America that no one else has been able to get I’m golden. I’ll finally be a lead writer at the NY Times.”

“You’ve barely been out of college a full year yet and you’ve already obtained a job at The Times, which is great, but you can’t expect to become a lead writer overnight.”

“I’m not expecting that…I just want a chance to show my skills,” Dawson softly said.

Natasha hated letting Dawson down; Dawson had already been let down so many times in her short life and Natasha always felt the need to protect her. Natasha was about to speak when she was interrupted by a little girl approaching their table.

“Excuse me, Miss Black Widow? May I have your autograph please?” The little girl asked.

Natasha smiled and quickly signed the girl’s piece of paper. She looked up at Dawson as the girl walked off and slightly chuckled as she said, “I don’t think I will ever get used to people asking for my autograph. It still surprises me.”

“Why does it surprise you? You’re a kick-ass female and an awesome role model. Better than Brittany Spears or Lindsey Lohan.”

“I’m not a role model,” Natasha quickly disagreed.

“Yeah you are, Nat. I know you used to be a little scary and rough around the edges but working with S.H.I.E.L.D. has changed you. It’s been good for you. You look ahead to the future more and aren’t as bitter.”

“If you’re trying to get your way by complimenting me it’s not going to work,” Natasha warned Dawson.

Dawson once again sighed. “Fine. I figured it was worth a try though. I just thought you could help me get an interview with Captain America but I understand. I’ll just wait for my next big break opportunity to come along. Hopefully it doesn’t take forever.”

“I hate when you use that sad voice and try to guilt trip me into something,” Natasha snapped. “It gets me every time.”

“So does that mean you’ll help me?” Dawson asked hopefully.

Natasha paused before finally agreeing. “I’ll try to help….I’m not making any promises though. Come by S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters tomorrow.”

“Thank you so much, Nat.” Dawson exclaimed as she hugged her. “I definitely owe you. I can just picture the article now. These next few months are going to be great for me, I can just tell. I’m finally moving on.”

The trouble with moving on though is that you have to eventually face your past to fully live your future; and the past was the one thing Dawson kept locked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outift

New story! This is my first superhero story and I'm really excited for it. This awesome layout was done by the wonderful pelican park. Hopefully the story ends up being as good as the layout haha.

I know Captain America isn't in this first chapter but no worries, he'll be in the next one. I'd love to hear what you think!