Status: Slowly Starting

Reflecting Words

No Iron in Your Veins

“I hate these meetings with a passion,” Liam, a fellow reporter for the Times and one of Dawson’s closest friends at the paper, muttered. “Seriously, whose idea was it to have the weekly story meeting on a Monday morning? As if Monday isn’t bad enough.”

“I agree wholeheartedly. I detest these things. I just sit there and watch everyone else get the cool story ideas while I get stuck with obituaries and pet stories,” Dawson responded.

“You’ll get your chance soon enough, buttercup,” Liam smiled but Dawson just rolled her eyes in return. She knew she had what it took to be a great reporter but she was never given the chance to showcase her talents.

The pair each grabbed one of the bagels sitting on the table before taking their spots while the rest of the staff slowly filed in.

“Okay everyone, let’s get started,” Mr. Henderson the editor-in-chief said as he clapped his hands to get everyone’s attention.

Mr. Henderson began going through the normal story assignments. Dawson received the obituaries she had to write along with a few stories about cats and dogs before she zoned out. She didn’t want to hear the other cooler stories other people got to write about.

“Well that’s it for our usual assignments and then I’m sure we’ll have some breaking news stories pop up this week but does anyone have any other story ideas? It doesn’t have to be written anytime soon. I’d just like some more ideas for different and unique stories.” Mr. Henderson said before pausing. “No one has any ideas?”

“The city is erecting a new statue in Central Park. I thought I could do a story about it and what it represents,” a reporter named Catherine Bates said.

Dawson tried not to grimace as she heard Catherine’s voice. Catherine and Dawson had attended Columbia together and were always competing in college. Their relationship had never been on good terms but it became horrible when Dawson became editor-in-chief of the school paper and Catherine was assistant editor-in-chief senior year. Both of them were hired at the Times immediately after graduation which just intensified their competition. Both were determined to get a front page story before the other.

“That’s a fine idea Miss Bates. That story is really more of a second page story but if nothing else comes along we can put it on the first page,” Mr. Henderson said as Catherine smirked in Dawson’s direction.

Dawson hesitated a few seconds before speaking up. “I have a story idea. I want to do a story on Captain America.”

“That’s a good idea Miss Brooks but Captain America refuses to give interviews,” Mr. Henderson said as he along with everyone else in the room turned to look at Dawson.

“Actually, I got him to agree to an interview,” Dawson said, telling a small white lie. She figured she’d be able to annoy Steve until he finally broke down and gave her an interview.

“You do?”

“Yes.”

“Very well then Miss Brooks. I’ll give you a month to write the story. Miss Bates I want you to continue with your story idea. If Miss Brooks gets her story done and it’s good we’ll put her story on the front page and yours on the second but if Miss Brooks’ story doesn’t get done to my standards you story will be front page. I think that’s it for this meeting so everyone can go back to work.”

Dawson smiled in excitement as she thought of the opportunity she had just been given. If everything worked out she’d have a story on the front page. Her conscious told her she shouldn’t have said anything since Steve refused to do an interview but she pushed that thought to the back of her mind. There was no way she was going to let this chance pass her by.

“I can’t believe you got an interview with Captain America and didn’t tell me,” Liam exclaimed.

“Well it just kind of happened,” Dawson shrugged.

“You bitch. Do you know how many times I’ve tried to get him to do an interview? It’s probably because you have boobs and I don’t.” Liam joked. “I really am excited for you though, Dawson. You’re finally getting your chance to show what you can do and I know you’ll rock it.”

“Thanks Liam.” Dawson smiled as she began to walk out of the room but she didn’t make it out before Catherine stopped her.

“What the hell was that in there?” Catherine asked.

“I believe that was me being told that my story idea was front page worthy.”

“Too bad you completely lied.”

“I didn’t lie. I have a friend who knows Captain America so she helped me get an interview,” Dawson said as she once again lied.

“Whatever, I don’t care. You’re going to fail and as soon as you do I’ll swoop in with my story and have it on the front page. I’ve never had a front page story before and there’s no way I’m going to let you take it from me,” Catherine smirked as she finally walked away from Dawson.

The reality that she might fail and Catherine would get a front page story before her finally hit Dawson. She refused to think about that happening though; failure was not an option. Dawson was going to get that interview one way or another, Steve’s pride be damned.

The rest of the day passed by quickly for Dawson. She started a few of her assignments but mainly tried to think of ways to convince Steve to sit down for an interview with her.

Dawson still hadn’t thought of a decent idea to get an interview with Steve by the time she arrived home and she was slowly beginning to panic.

“Honey, I’m home,” Dawson jokingly called out as she entered her apartment.

“Right in time dear, dinner is on the table. I’ve been slaving away on it all day,” Justine, Dawson’s roommate joked.

“So we’re having leftover Chinese again?”

“Yep.”

Dawson set her work things down and took a seat at the table across from Justine as she grabbed a half-full carton of Sweet and Sour Chicken. Justine and Dawson had become best friends at Columbia and had even roomed together their junior and senior years. When Justine was hired as a junior account manager at a PR firm in New York the two decided to get an apartment together. They both wanted to live in Greenwich Village but knew there was no way they could afford an apartment by themselves. They found an apartment in Greenwich that was fairly small but at a good price so they quickly signed the papers and it was theirs.

“So how was work today?” Dawson asked.

“Busy, as usual. I love PR and working for the agency but I don’t think I’ll ever get married. I don’t have time to date with my crazy work schedule.”

“I feel you,” Dawson agreed. “Although I made a promise to myself that I wouldn’t seriously date anyone until I finally got my front page story.”

“Too bad that Captain America interview didn’t work out. That story would have been front page worthy for sure.”

“Well…”

“Dawson! What did you do?” Justine groaned at her roommate.

“I may have accidentally told my editor that I had secured the interview with Captain America.”

“Accidentally? How do you accidentally do that?”

“Fine, it wasn’t an accident. But Catherine was being promised a front page story and I couldn’t let her get it without a fight so I said I had the Captain America interview. If I get the story then it will be put on front page but if not then Catherine’s story gets front page.”

“Dawson, this feud between you and Catherine has to stop,” Justine shook her head.

“It’s not a feud,” Dawson argued. “I’m the better writer and I’m going to prove it.”

“How though? Are you going to stalk Captain America until he breaks down and promises to do the interview?”

“Justine! You just gave me a wonderful idea,” Dawson smirked.

Steve Rogers was going to sit down for an interview with Dawson whether he liked it or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now starts the major Dawson and Captain America interactions. Get ready for some drama along with a few surprises.