The Killing Joke

3/4

Alfred closed the large front door after saying goodnight to Selina Kyle. Bruce hadn’t said he wanted her to leave, but he didn’t ask for her to stay either. And after Alfred had explained the whole situation to the lady, she had a very persuasive way, Selina had decided it would be best if she left. Alfred didn’t protest, or agree, just brought her coat and led her to the door. Before she left he did ask if she was going to help Bruce. She had given him a soft smile and a polite goodnight.

Currently, Alfred was down in the Batcave, sitting at the computer. He was in the middle of calling all the members of the Bat-Family, per Master Bruce’s request. That included Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Oracle, and many other vigilantes who worked in collaboration with the Batman.

“Alfred?” Is everything okay?” Dick Grayson asked the old man, concern lining his voice. He had excused himself from the small party he was at with a few of his friends to ring in the New Year. Dick made sure to go far enough away so that no one could see him talking into his watch, he didn’t feel like coming up with some bullshit excuse at the moment.

“I am so sorry to interrupt you this evening, Master Bruce is as well. He tried to handle this by himself as much as he could, not wanting to bother you all, not wanting to put an end to your festivities,” Alfred began. “Master Bruce needs everyone’s help tonight. You may or may not be aware of the fact that two Gotham banks were robbed only a few hours ago. Master Bruce went to investigate and found Two-Face. I do not know all of the details; he was in a great hurry when he called a few moments ago. He asked me to call all of you, to ask you to please suit up and start searching for the Joker. We know that this madman is planning something terrible for this very evening, and your help in finding him would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,” Alfred ended the call, hoping that everyone got it in time. It had gone out to everyone, and they device they received it one was usually on their person at all times.

After a few minutes Alfred was able to sigh in relief as everyone began responding to the message via the frequency they all shared. It sounded like everyone, and at this point it didn’t really matter how many people answered just as long as come did. Bruce needed all the help he could get. Who knew how much longer they had until the Joker decided to put his devastating plan into action.

*****


Oracle, also known as Barbara Gordon, made her way over to Wayne Manor as soon as possible. She had decided using the computer and other electronics in the Batcave would be much more useful than just using what she had. Barbara used to hate the fact that she couldn’t go out and jump around rooftops and fight bad guys like everyone else. Now she learned to accept the fact, and her current job was pretty important as well. Ever since the Joker had paralyzed her, making it so she couldn’t walk anymore, she had been known as Oracle. Hers was a behind the scene job. She had given up Batgirl’s cowl, passing it on to a younger girl who could move both her feet. Thankfully Alfred had called when he did. She was in the middle of an awkward party with her father at the Gotham City Police Department’s headquarters. Barbara was happy to leave and help Bruce track down the man she now hated with a deep passion.

Dick Grayson had excused himself, coming up with a story about the dip set out for the evening being expired. He then went into the bathroom and undressed to reveal his Nightwing costume. Dick then crawled out of the little tiny window above the toilet, trying not to make any noise, finally slipping out onto the ledge and tossing his clothes into the wind. He had other clothes, losing a pair of dress pants and a salmon colored button down shirt wasn’t that big of a sacrifice. After jumping over a few roofs Dick looked down at the ground to see the familiar sight of the Batmobile.

Glancing over his shoulder he saw another shadow moving over the rooftops in the opposite direction. It was Tim Drake, Robin. Dick remembered back to when he had been Robin. How the costume had been so different. How his parents had died and Bruce took him in and then he became Robin compared to Drake who had figured out who everyone was and had confront him about it. That was right after Jason Todd, the second Robin, had died, and Batman was in really bad shape. Dick was Nightwing by then, and Batman didn’t want a new Robin. Tim Drake, however, knew he needed one. After unsuccessfully trying to convince Dick to become Robin again, Batman had handed the role to him.

Bruce heard everyone through the radio frequency, glad that they had decided to help out. If he were any other man, he would have smiled. But he didn’t, because he wasn’t any other man. He was Batman, through and through. And currently Batman was speeding through the streets of Gotham, each and every one of them, searching for any signs of the Joker. A Joker card here, a few clown goons there, anything. Everyone else was looking up above, and Oracle was watching to see if he was using any sort of communication device she could track.

Batman couldn’t help but check the clock installed in the Batmobile. What felt like hours of searching to him ended up being only a few minutes in real life. It was going to be a long night, he sighed to himself.

After about an hour of searching, they heard, and saw, something. Everyone screeched to a stop in their searching when they saw it. The side of Wayne Tower had been painted with neon green and purple. The Joker’s face was now on the side of the most prestigious building in town. Who had the time to do this, and how had nobody caught this as it was going on? As everyone jumped down to the ground to start looking around the building, trying to catch whoever had done it, they began to hear static on the frequency. “Hello, hello, hello, everyone.” A maniacal laugh. It was the Joker, he had hacked into the frequency. “I know you’ve all been looking for me. And it makes me feel so special, knowing that each and every one of you care so much. Unfortunately, this is only between Batman and me. Yes, yes, I’m sure each and every one of you have some bone to pick with yours truly, but this particular night Bats and I are going to settle things mono y mono. So all you little kiddies just run on home, alrighty? That was an order. If Batman shows up with anyone else, or if any of you bird brains try to sneak up after he comes in, I’ll blow this whole town to smithereens!” The Joker finished his monologue, beginning to laugh uncontrollably. “See you soon, Batman,” he added after a moment or two, though it was barely audible.

“Oracle, track that call!” Bruce shouted, signaling to all of his comrades in sight to leave.

“I’m on it, Batman,” she replied instantly as all other members of the Bat-Family ran home reluctantly.

“Put the coordinates into the Batmobile,” Bruce ordered as he hopped back into the car. “And then I want you to sign off until further notice as well.” Batman added as he started the Batmobile.

After a few moments of loud tapping on a computer keyboard Barbara’s voice came over again, “Yes, sir,” she replied quietly, reluctantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only one more part!

Thank you so much for all of the comments and such!