Sail

6.

ImageCHANDLER


It seemed like a good idea at the time but now that Briella was sitting on his couch right in front of him, Chandler was experiencing a serious case of stage fright. Her face held an expression of anticipation as he babbled about how he got his band started.

Her sudden burst of laughter caused Chandler to stop mid sentence. He cocked his head to the side and tried to laugh along. "What?"

She gave him a sympathetic look. "Look, if you're nervous, you don't have to stall by talking my ear off. We can just kick it," she said with a shrug.

Chandler cleared his throat. "No. Who knows the next time I'll bump into you so while I have you here, you're going to, at least, listen to one song."

One song turned into two then three and soon enough, midnight rolled around. Chandler was surprised that he'd kept her enraptured for so long especially since after he'd played her the seven or eight complete songs he had, he had resorted to random melodies or attempting acoustic covers of songs that she'd never heard.

Briella stifled a yawn. "Bathroom?"

"Hallway, first door on the left."

Chandler was infinitely grateful for Briella for listening so patiently. He smiled to himself as he stood to set his guitar on its stand. He'd mentioned that his band played a specific genre and the other songs he'd written didn't fit with their image. Briella came back from the bathroom and took her jacket from the couch.

"I should get going. It's a school night after all."

"School?" Chandler asked with a frown. "How old are you?"

She rolled her eyes. "Eighteen but please don't call me a baby."

"I wasn't going to... You actually seem more mature than a regular high school senior."

"This coming from a thirty year old?"

Chandler laughed. "I hope I don't look thirty! I'm only twenty two. Do you need me to take you home?"

"Sure."

The car ride was comfortably silent and Chandler found that Briella lived in a very nice house. As she stuck her foot out of the car, he noticed her expression immediately became grim. Rather than question it, he watched her let herself into the front door before pulling off. When he arrived home he went straight to the bathroom to relieve himself. He'd been neglecting his bladder ever since he got home with Briella.

He laughed out loud when he saw that she'd smeared her phone number on the mirror with bright red lipstick.