Sail

9.

ImageBRIELLA


Briella popped her gum and twirled her pencil around her fingers as she waited for the bell to ring. Sasha was sitting in front of her, gossiping to their other friend Gloria. The rest of the class was unruly as always; paper balls and airplanes were thrown around the room and, somewhere, someone was playing music from their phone.

The seat beside Briella that was usually vacant was suddenly occupied by a body. She rolled her eyes and turned in her seat to face forward.

"C'mon Bri. Don't do me like that. I know you missed me."

Briella blew some curly tendrils from her face and looked at her ex-boyfriend. "Dru, baby, how could I have time to miss you if you keep coming back?"

He smiled the way that used to make her knees weak and leaned over his knees to close the distance between them. He ran his index finger down her bare arm. "You up and left me feigning, girl. When're you gonna let me get another piece of that?"

Briella brushed Dru's hand away with a scoff. "How about when you put a dollar before a dime?"

Dru sat up straight and licked his lips. "You know I don't mess with Janessa like that any more. I can't believe you're still bugging about that."

Sasha turned around in her seat. "Don't forget Juanita, Coco, Sadie, and that other one with the really bad lace front wig."

Briella laughed and shook her head as she opened her notebook to attempt to listen to whatever the teacher was saying. Unfortunately, Briella couldn't concentrate because now her head was filled with thoughts of Dru and his stupid smile. They had started dating their freshman year and been on and off ever since. It was a very destructive relationship and it matched Briella's home life so she thought she was doing something right. It was only at the beginning of their senior year, a few months ago, that Briella decided she was tired of the constant infidelity and put a stop to things for good. Dru, of course, thought they were getting back together and although he had been her one and only, she couldn't imagine relapsing.

The bell rang and Briella realized her notebook paper was full of doodles and hearts and a certain line from one of Chandler's original songs: I was in the pieces you left behind. Dust settled on your heart and you settled in my mind. She smiled as she thought about when he'd sung that to her in his living room. It'd been so personal and so perfect. She couldn't wait for their date that coming weekend and as she walked with Sasha to her locker, she wondered why they had to wait.

She leaned against the locker beside Sasha's and pulled out her phone to text Chandler.

"I can't believe Dru had the nerve to try and talk to you like that," she said. "I wish he would learn some things from Blake. You'd think best friends would have more in common."

Briella giggled. "I'm not worried about Dru's punk ass and his tired games. Why don't you tell me more about you and Blake? I take it your date went well."

Sasha shut her locker and sighed contently. She was nearly a full head shorter than Briella but had an hourglass figure that caught most guys' attention. "He's probably the sweetest, funniest guy I've ever met in my life. Bri, he held the door for me. No one's ever don't that before!"

Briella smiled. Blake had always been sort of a brother to Briella since she had been dating his best friend for so long. She was happy that her friend was able to find a good guy.

"Speak of a hottie and he shall appear," Sasha said as Blake approached them.

He wrapped his arms around her little waist and she squealed as her feet left the ground. He set her back down and smiled at Briella. "How've you been sis?"

"Just kicking it."

"You know my boy Dru asked me to talk to you for him..."

"Tell your boy to get over it. I'm dating someone."

Sasha removed herself from Blake's side to poke Briella. "You're what?"

Briella chuckled and began to head to her last period. "I'll tell you about it later."

Sasha would kill her when she found out about Chandler. Sure, they weren't technically dating but that was said mostly for Dru's sake. He'd responded to her text and agreed to pick her up from school so they could hang out at the record store he worked at. She was excited to see him and introduce him to Sasha.

The final bell rang at three, on the dot. Briella skipped going to her locker since she had no intention of doing any homework. She bumped into Sasha on the front stairs and took her hand.

"He's here if you want to meet him," Briella said. "We're not really dating but I want Dru to think we are so he'll get over me."

Sasha laughed. "I knew you wouldn't really start dating someone without telling me."

Briella spotted Chandler's new-ish car on the curb and weaved through the tons of students rushing to catch their buses. He got out of the car to greet them. Briella went in for a hug and Chandler's hands went to her hips.

"Chandler, this is my main squeeze, Sasha. Sasha, this is Chandler."

"Bri, you didn't tell me he was so cute," Sasha said, shaking his hand.

Chandler chuckled and flipped his hair from his eyes. "That's nice of you to say."

"We're gonna go," Briella said, giving Sasha a big, noisy kiss on the cheek. "That's for Blake, not you, so make sure he gets it."

Sasha rolled her eyes and turned to head for the student parking lot. As Chandler pulled off, Briella turned to him and apologized profusely.

"I know the hug was kinda weird since we're still... well, you know, still kind of strangers but it was a show so my ex would leave me alone. Is that awfully juvenile or what?" she asked, biting her lip.

Chandler shrugged. "It's fine, I promise. I'm glad we jumped that hurdle. Do you wanna stop off and get something to drink before we get to the record store?"

"A gas station would be great actually."

Briella rolled her window down and let the wind blow through her curly hair. Maybe, if things went well enough, Briella could find happiness with Chandler like Sasha had found with Blake. A girl could only dream...