Status: Life is happening right now, but I will try to post.

Theophany

Chapter 11: RAINISM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A nighty blinked its bulbous eyes in interest. It was climbing halfway into the broken window but stopped and watched one human kill another. Except this one grieved her kill.

He signaled the others to back down and he followed suit.

...Let her grieve, as we have before...

Her wailing echoed in its head, long after the encounter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Now!" Rain yelled. Running across the courtyard in a loose circular formation, they sprinted towards the building where Severity was at. Reaper's crossbow came in handy, as it was relatively silent, and with his skills, extremely accurate. Some nighties noticed them, but soon learned to shy away from their weapons, especially Reaper's. They reached the door, backs flattened against the wall.

Scope shook the handle, "It's locked."
Without warning, Rain kicked the door in, breaking the door handle. Adrenaline was rushing throughout her system now, "Not anymore. Get in."

A window was broken and nighties were trying to crawl into it. With a sickening twist in her gut, Rain realized glancing upwards, that it was Sev's room. It was the only time in her life she was thankful that the Boss was with her friend. That tough bastard never died. Ever.

"I'm out." Reaper butted in, drawing his sword and putting away the crossbow.

"Go in, I'll cover you." With a curt nod, him and Scope went up the stairs, pistol and sword at the ready, just in case it was too late.

Rain camped inside the broken door, at the foot of the stairs. The short hallway between would act as a choke, forcing the nighties to come in one by one. She would be able to make a stand here, granted the nighties didn't bum rush her. As she sprayed short bursts from her rifle, felling nighty after nighty, all she could think of was how much she wanted Severity and the Boss to still be alive. She thought she saw and heard a shotgun when she took a glance at the broken window, which gave her hope.

Her mind kept coming back to memories of Severity and her. The first time she had come upon this place. Two and a half years ago, after her dad had been killed, Severity was the only person who had known exactly how she felt. You see, their eyes were the same.

Ever since, they had sort of taken care of each other, in their own ways. Although, as much as she hated to admit it, Sev also served as a warning to Rain, in a sense. She found out from her that you had to forget you were a woman, in order to keep your dignity as one. As usual, Rain learned quickly.

More nighties were coming in now, stepping over the pile near the doorway. The gunfire from around the compound was getting more scarse, and even the screams were fading. Now her location would stand out more.

She was forced to back up, slowly moving up the stairs as nighty after nighty was coming in for her. She just hoped she could reload fast enough for the next one.

There were gunshots coming in from the doorway. It seemed like somebody else had survived. Whoever this person was, they were carving their way to her location methodically. But Rain was kept busy by a particularly hulking nighty that crushed its way through the doorway. It roared as bullets pierced its thick skull. It died on the steps. Rain was about to kick it down when someone fell into the doorway with a big thud.

"Ugh," this person got up, holding a bloody hunting knife in one hand and a pistol in another. He turned, covered in nighty gore and said, "Ah, cockroach. I knew you ssssurvived."

Rain almost emptied the rest of her clip into Loon.