Status: Life is happening right now, but I will try to post.

Theophany

Chapter 12: SEVERITY'S ESCAPE

"No!! You're lying!!! You fucking bastard!!!" She was hysterical, still clutching the Boss to herself. He was cold and lifeless. "Y-you never!!!" She took out the shard imbedded in his chest and tried to stop the flow of blood, mixing with her tears. "No... no... oh no... NO!!"

All she could do was scream in agony. What had she done. How many times had she thought of killing him with her bare hands and enjoyed every minute of that fantasy? But now... It felt like it would tear her apart. She sobbed bitterly on his corpse, unable to explain anything she was feeling, much less thinking. She buried her face by the gash on his chest. It matted her hair with blood, but she still held on tightly. And she had no idea why.

"S-severity?" Scope was behind her, somehow, gasping at the cold, lifeless body of the Boss.

"We need to get going." Another voice, a bit older and unfamiliar, was close as well.

Hands grabbed her away, needing to pry her arms off of the Boss and another hand slapped her across her face, stunning her. The man had hit her.

"Get a hold of yourself! I can see he meant a lot to you, but now is not the time to mourn." He half dragged her with one strong hand under her arm. She fought back the tears and finally saw they were already coming down the flight of stairs. Severity fought to regain control of herself and assess the situation. She broke free of his grip and indicated she would follow willingly.

They were running down another flight of stairs when she realized the bursts of gunfire nearby.

"We need to start getting out into the open. The sun will rise soon and they'll be clamoring to get inside buildings. They can't get us if we get some sun on us." the man, holding a thin sword was leading them swiftly down the steps.

Scope swiftly answered, not quite looking at her, "Our best bet is heading out the eastern gate and making a run for it. They came from the west, so they'd be more thinned out. Besides..."

"The sun rises from the East," she finished.

As they went down the last flight of stairs, she could tell who was in front of them, wielding a rifle before the girl turned around.

"Rain!" Severity breathed.

"Good to see you, Sev" she answered, "Reaper, we need to head east." Of course, she would have thought of this plan already.

"And the roachessss keep living, eh." Loon, reloading a pistol in hand was near the doorway. "All clear for now" he added. Scope's eyes darkened upon seeing this man, and she thought she could feel him lag almost behind Reaper.

They ran outside, putting Sev and Scope near the middle, flanked by Loon and Rain, with Reaper taking the front, killing feet away.

It seemed like there was no end to the monsters. She was terrified and cold. Reaper hacked and slashed. It was almost beautiful to see. Like a dance with death.

"I'm out." Rain said, panting, slinging the rifle on her back. Scope gave her his pistol wordlessly and Rain resumed with keeping the nighties from getting dessert, after making a feast of the compound. Relentless roars and screeches, sharp teeth and claws were after their little group of survivors. Now she realized, they might just be the only ones alive.

Exhausted, they reached the gate, with only Reaper's sword and Rain's pistol keeping the nighties at bay, Loon having run out of ammo some moments ago and chucking the gun at a nighty's head.

Severity and Scope opened the gate just enough for one at a time to slip through and the nighties frenzied, desperate to get them before the sun could rise.

"Hurry your asses up!!!" Reaper said, a bead of sweat dripping down his face "I'll hold them off while you get out!"

Loon pushed Scope out of the way, slinking his way through the gate and Severity quickly followed, just in case this rat tried to lock them in.

Seeing Scope, she helped him through as quickly as her frail arms would allow.

"Rain! Let's GO!" she called to her friend, more anxious now that she could hear more nighties rushing in.

Loon was already running east. The cowardly piece of...

Rain slipped through, clip empty, rolling across the sand and Reaper followed closely, bleeding from a gash on his forearm.

"Push!" Scope strained to close the gate, as did she. Rain and Reaper soon were pushing against it as well, trying to keep it closed against the nighties bashing on the other side.

Just then, the sun finally rose and the monsters retreated. Still, the four of them stayed plastered against the gate. Not until they were bathed in sunlight did they finally slink down and let themselves relax.