Status: Life is happening right now, but I will try to post.

Theophany

Chapter 9: RAIN'S NIGHT

"Alright then" she said, trying to ignore the mess of a man that was left of Brace. Blood was still trickling out of the gruesome wounds, while Reaper quietly dressed in a corner. Scope, on the other hand, was sitting just outside the door trying not to wretch some more while making sure no one else was coming.

"Reaper, you will take us to your city," She said this, trying to ignore the haunting image of a naked man cleaning up the blood all over him. He wasn't particularly a large man, unlike the Boss, but there was something about the firmness of his muscles and how they moved when he moved that made her eyes wander across his body unconsciously.

"Ahem," Reaper cleared his throat, a smile dancing around his lips, "Would you like to help me clean up? It would seem that we would both enjoy it." He offered her the cloth that he used.

Blood rushed to her face, partly due to embarrassment and partly to irritation. She would have turned her back to him, had she not just witnessed how dangerous he really was. So instead she glared simply saying, "Just hurry up. We have one more person to get to before we can go. She's the reason we're here right now." Thinking we had to save your ass, she added silently.

"Oh?" he answered, "Well I hope she's a bit more experienced with the male body. Although I find your blushing charming as well."

Rain quickly picked up Reaper's pants and chucked them at his face.

Finally, he finished. Back inside his armor, he seemed more serious. Back to business was it? No trace of him toying with her anymore. She preferred this version of him. He still irritated her, but not half as much as naked Reaper had.

The three of them creeped out of the compound, walking quickly but carefully. Scope was up front, since he had the best eyesight and senses, while Reaper was in the middle. Rain brought up the rear just in case Reaper did something unusual, or someone sneak up behind them.

The windows they passed told them it was nighttime already. This was good and bad news. If they managed to get away, this would mean they had to deal with both roaming creatures and nighties outside the base. But at least they wouldn't have to deal with the desert sun.

Scope froze in front of a window that looked across to the western gate, the same one Reaper had come from about a week before. "This just got more complicated," he breathed. Seemingly right on cue, there was a large pounding that almost wrenched the gate open.

"What the hell?" Rain immediately looked at Reaper, thinking he might know something about it. He shrugged, eyes narrowing. The guards had woken from their reverie of drunkenness and everyone seemed to be trying to get a good look of what was going on. Gun shots started firing from outside as the guards figured out what was pounding away at the gate.

"Scope, what's out there?" Reaper asked, while they started running towards the door.

Rain gave Scope her pistol, while she hoisted Brace's rifle at the ready.

"Nighties," the boy said.

"No, that can't be right. They don't attack large groups and the pounding sounded like they were in sync," Rain questioned, reaching the door knob.

Scope answered, face pale in the darkness, "Smart nighties. A lot of them."

The sound of the western gate being broken open woke everyone on base that night.