‹ Prequel: Daydreamer

Living Our Dreams

f.

I drove down the dim lit road. I had been driving for over an hour. I lost my pride to return to the hotel. After the first ten phone calls, I had decided to turn off the damn thing. I chose to find something to do for the night. I had no plans on passing out. Suddenly volleyball didn't seem that important.

I headed into the downtown of Winnipeg, yet it was dead. The only light other than the streets lights was a small bar. I found an empty parking spot and let myself in.

Behind the counter, a man, probably in his late twenties, was happily serving drinks to the small, yet large diversity of people. A young, Asian girl, drowned a shot at the end, a few seats up was a large, burly, African man, and his Latin looking friend.

"How do you do? How can I help you, miss?" The bartender asked. He smiled cheerfully.

"Satisfying but not strong. I'm afraid I'm my own designated driver." I chuckled lowly.

The tips of his lips crooked upwards at a silent thought of his. "I've got just the thing. People like you come in all the time."

"People like me?"

"Walking problems." He stirred up non alcoholic ingredients, yet treated them as if they were. "You, madam, have something on your mind. Tell, good ol' Mikey what's wrong."

"It's imponderable." And it was. I had no explanation for what I did, and had no right to get angry. I realized that about 40 km in, but didn't turn around. It's not that I couldn't say sorry, it's that I couldn't explain myself. I knew that he would ask. He had the right.

"I'm guessing you were or are an English major," He scanned my youthful figure. "Cause I have never heard of that word."

I chuckled as he poured me my beverage. I held it up with what pride I had left. "To strangers. The only people who you can tell your life story to, and promise not to tell a soul." I took a large gulp of the fizzy liquid. It somehow brought my sense up a tad.

"You got that right sistah!" The Asian woman screamed with an English accent. I couldn't tell if it was a real one or not, but if it wasn't, then she was spot on with it. But then again, I've never met a legit English person. She threw her small shot to the air before pouring it into the black hole she called her mouth.

I chuckled at her attitude. I hoped out of my seat, bringing my own drink with me, and took a seat next to her. "What's got you bummed?"

"My boyfriend told me he lost his feelings for me." She gave me a sarcastic smile. Her emotions evident by her pained expression. "He found it in one of my friend's bed, apparently, and couldn't wait to express them." She turned sour, her face scrunching up in disgust.

"Forget them." I told her, waving off the topic. "Tonight we have each other." I clinked my non alcoholic drink with one of her countless shots, and took another big gulp.

And that's mainly how I found myself at an unfamiliar clock shop. Jenny, the Asian English, owned the place. It was her dream, so when she moved to Winnipeg with her so-called boyfriend, she decided to start fresh with something that pleased her thoughts. She lived her dreams.

"What's it like living in your own little dream come true?" I asked, sitting on the counter next to the register.

Jenny was polishing a large grandfather clock that appeared so old that it was unrestorable. "Worst decision I've ever made. It's unsuccessful and I've gotten tired of clocks. " She seemed very sober for a lady who had over ten shots. "I'm planning on going back to Crosby."

"Like the player?"

"Huh?"

"Never mind." I chuckled. "Where about is Crosby?"

"It's in the county of Merseyside." She smiled. "England is historic and all, but it's the worst place you could live. It's all pollution and extremely crowded. If you're to visit, spend more time in the countryside. It's beautiful out there." Jenny waved her hand dreamily.

"I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind." I glanced at one of the many clocks. "Oh. It's already three. I'm sure you have something better to do.. like sleep!" I laughed lightly, getting off of the counter.

"Oh, where are you resting for the night?"

"In the car, probably." I rubbed the back of my next hastily.

"Just stay the night. You can return to wherever you need to be tomorrow morning."

"It kind of is morning, but thanks. I really appreciate it." I said before following her upstairs, to her apartment.

Image

I stuck the pink sticky note onto her metallic fridge, grabbed my things, and made my way out of the building. I left her a note, thanking her, and a few bills for the troubles I caused her.

I jumped into the rental car, and back out and back into the street. Today was the second day of recruitment camp. It's reccomended that you go for both days, but it wasn't mandatory. I was going to go, but decided not to, since Tyler and Taylor would most likely be there. Instead, I opted to go for brunch.

"Just one." I told the hostess.

She led me to a small bar, leaving me with just a menu and my order of a water. "Your waiter will arrive in just a bit." She said before she left.

"Alright thanks."

While waiting, I decided to turn on my phone, the urge of checking my messages overcoming patience for the waiter. Not only did I have many unread messages from Tyler, but he recruited Cody too. They called a few times, buy stopped at around three in the morning.

"Hi, I'll be your server today."

I fiddled with my phone, turning it back off and glancing up at my waiter, Theo.
♠ ♠ ♠
imponderable
\ im-PON-der-uh-buhl \ , noun;
1. A thing that cannot be precisely determined or measured.

adjective:
1.Not ponderable; that cannot be precisely determined, measured, or evaluated.