‹ Prequel: Daydreamer

Living Our Dreams

s.

Impossible.

That's what Tyler said. Then he demanded we ask why I didn't make it. The lady on the phone said to call the coach, but she didn't supply me with a number, email address, or anything. So Tyler decided we head down to the University to ask.

He parked the car abruptly in the parking lot.

I was surprised that he didn't ask about my outburst last night, but also glad. Last thing I needed was to have to tell him the answer I didn't have. I wasn't sure if he forgot about it, or just decided to wait until this dilemma was cleared. If it was a dilemma at all.

Tyler stalked into the University, going straight to the athletics department. I eagerly followed him. Once we reached the athletics office, he raised a hand to knock on the glass door. His muscles were tense, but I wasn't sure why. It wasn't that big of a deal.

"Hi, can I help you?" A tall blonde man asked. He narrowed his eyes on Tyler. "Hey, aren't you in the NHL? You look familiar.." He wagged his finger.

"Yes, but I'm here for a different reason. See, a few days ago, my friend here tried out for the National team. She recently got a call from them, and I was wondering if anyone was here that I could talk to about that."

"Oh yes. I am a representative of the National Volleyball Association." He took a step out of the office and closed the door behind him. "What can I help you with?"

"Well, Caroline here." Tyler put his hands on my arms and brought me in front of him. "Got a call from someone named Kathy and was told she didn't make it. I was just wo—"

"A call? I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding but we don't call with results. We don't have enough time in our hands. You can find the results on the side window there." The man pointed to his left.

Tyler's anger quickly washed away. "Thanks.. um?"

"Kyle."

"Thanks." I muttered quickly, giving his hand a brief shake before going to the window on the side for the result sheet.

I spotted many sheets on the window, but narrowed down the two volleyball team cut offs. I ignored the men's team and looked down the list of girls names on the sheet. My heart slowed as I went down—what seemed like—the longest list in the world. Until I found my name. At the very bottom. Caroline Hodgson.

I turned to Tyler. "I made it!" I screamed.

Image

"I wonder who called me." I tossed my phone around in my hands.

We exited the elevator and headed down the hall to our room. I just wanted to rest, since we'd have our first team practice tomorrow and then head back to Toronto. We'd stay there for a few nights, then straight to London. Hopefully, we would get some good court time in London.

So I was surprised when I saw Taylor standing in front of our room.

"I heard the news! I'm so sorry! You were so much better than half of the girls there!" Taylor frowned.

I glared at her, the irrational side of me bubbled. "It was you!" Before I could even touch her, Tyler pulled me back. "Let go of me!"

"Taylor, why did you do it?" Tyler's strained voice made me go limp in his arms. I didn't have the heart to scratch her eyes out.

"Because you're in love with her!" She wept.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate this story now -_-