‹ Prequel: Charming the Charming

Charming's Charmless

Home is Nowhere

Image

Juice curled an arm around Helen as she slept by his side. In the dark it was so quiet, not even a mouse stirred. Here were the hours where he would think about everything he had done. Was doing. Was about to do.
The future was filled with uncertainty and danger. It was the life of a Son. Terrors were a daily occurrence and living in fear was something you just didn't do. But for everything Juice had been through, nothing had prepared him for the loss of his unborn child.
No one had shown him how to handle the pit of anger that smouldered away in his chest. The sickness he felt looking at Helen sometimes was unbearable. He hadn't been there when his family had needed him the most and for that? Juice felt undeserving.
Closing his eyes against tears that threatened to flow he let out a heavy breath.
He needed to get out of there for a while.
Freedom from his cage of guilt.
Helen's skin was soft under his touch as he kissed his sleeping beauty's lips and adorned his cuts. Allowing himself one last look back, Juice grabbed his keys and moved out into the early morning darkness.

The smell of cigarettes clung in the air as Gemma sat back at her kitchen table watching Clay pour another mug of coffee.
“So this deal you've made with the Irish, what are the stakes?” She took another drag of the stick sitting between her fingers.
Clay sat next to his wife and brought the mug to his lips. “Well as long as we run their drugs everything should run smoothly.”
“Drugs? That's new for those guys.”
“For us too.”
Gemma arched her brow. “I know.”
Looking over Clay felt the sting of Gemma's stare. “Oh come on baby don't give me that look. We need more money and this is the quickest way to make sure we get it. Guns aren't enough right now.”
“Hrm. Just make sure this doesn't blow up in our faces. You know what the Irish are like.”
Just as Clay put down his mug the sounds of Gemma's mobile phone rang from her side.
“Who the hell is calling at this hour?” Gingerly she pulled the phone from her pocket and flipped it open to see Helen's number flashing in front of the call.
“Good morning honey.” She knitted her brow as she spoke. Gemma knew all too well that Helen never rang for just a casual chat.
“Gemma have you or Clay heard from Juice?”
“No? Isn't he at home with you?”
Helen shook her head from the other end of the phone. “No. I woke up half an hour ago and he was gone.”
Gemma pursed her lips for a second as she looked over at Clay who had his eyes intent on the conversation. “Maybe he is doing an early morning run for the 'herbal business.”
“He took a bag and clothes...”
Dipping her head Gemma ran a hand trough her hair. “Have you called Jax and Tara?”
“They were the first people I rang. Said they've heard nothing from him.”
“Okay baby. Stay home today in case he comes back and leave the rest to us.”
Helen let out a ragged sigh. “What if he doesn't come back.”
Gemma stopped for a second. “He will.”
Clay watched as Gemma snapped her phone shut with his hands wrapped around his mug. “What happened this time?”

“That little prick!” Clay shouted.
“Calm down, Clay. Helen said he took a few clothes, I doubt he has done a runner.” Jax stood in front of Clay outside the garage.
“This isn't what we need right now. Juice is suppose to be the man inside this run for the Irish and he has gone M.I.A on us!”
Jax put his hands on his waist. Clay was right, if Juice didn't make an appearance soon this deal would backfire on them as quickly as it had been made.
“Listen you're right, but Juice has been through a lot. The brother lost his baby while in lock up, he's probably catching some breeze.”
Clay let his head drop back. “That's all it better be or that son of a bitch will be sorry to come back.”
Jax watched as Clay made his way back to the club house before checking his phone for anything left by Juice.
Nothing.
“Damnit Juice!”

Tara sat with an arm around her sister's shoulders as they sat tucked up together on the couch. Helen had called Tara back after Gemma. The sound of desperation and hurt in her voice was enough for Tara to take the day away from the hospital. It was when Helen answered the door that Tara saw the cracks beginning to form.
Knowing Helen was trying so hard to keep from breaking down after the past six months Tara thought that once Juice had come back things would start to fall back into place. As she felt her sister shake in her arms she knew different.
“There was always this thought stuck in my head.”
Tara looked down as her sister spoke.
“That he wouldn't want me the same way any more.”
“Sweetie no. He just needs some time, that's all it is.”
Helen let a sigh out and shifted on the couch. “He didn't even bother to leave a note.”
“Jax will get a hold of him.” Rubbing Helen's shoulder Tara pulled her back into another hug. “Don't worry I am sure he hasn't gone too far.”
“I can't stay here Tara. I have to do something.” Helen moved from the couch and pushed her hair back from her face.
“You can't go to work, Gemma gave you the day off.”
“What else am I suppose to do? He isn't coming back any time soon.”
“Fine. But I am coming with you.” Tara met her sisters side with her car keys in her hand.

“What are you doing here?” Gemma asked as she followed Helen up to the garage.
Helen tucked a cloth into her back pocket and moved towards Alex's car. “Has anyone looked at this?”
Opie looked over from his bike. “Nope.”
“I told Halfsack to take care of this.”
“Well he didn't.”
Helen grumbled before taking the keys and unlocking the car.
“Helen!” Gemma slammed the door shut before Helen could reach an arm in.
“Gemma I am not staying that house like a suffering little puppy waiting for him to come home. He isn't coming back today or tomorrow or the damn day after that! He left and I need something to keep myself from cracking up. Is that so much to fucking ask?” Helen's brow had dropped and a growl backed her tone. She knew very well that this wasn't the way people spoke to Gemma but right now there wasn't anything else Helen could lose.
“She was only asking.” Tara said gently from behind Gemma.
Taking a step back Helen put a hand over her stomach. “I'm sorry.” Her voice was sombre.
“It's fine baby.” Gemma rubbed her hand on Helen's arm. “You work.”
Gemma turned her back taking Tara by the arm and began walking them both from the garage.
“I don't think she can take much more.”
“I know.” Tara agreed moving her head in the direction of a car as it pulled into the lot.
Gemma moved her glassed from her face, squinting at the bright red car as it came to a stop. “You gotta be shitting me.”
“What is it?” Tara felt Gemma drop her arm as she came to a stop.
“Trouble. That's what.”
Both women watched as the cherry red door open and long legged woman with hair the same shade as her car shut the door behind her.
“Gemma!” She walked with a sway in her hips towards the Queen with her arms open for a hug.
“Lucy what are you doing here?” Gemma didn't budge as Lucy enveloped her in that hug.
“Well isn't that a warm welcoming. I came to see Juice.” Her glossy lips matched the shine on her designer bag and glint on her heels.
Tara's brow rose. “Why do you need to see Juice?”
Lucy's green eyed gaze turned to Tara and she tilted her head to the side. “And who are you?”
“Jackson's Old Lady. Who are you?”
With a faltering twitch Lucy's hand met her hip and her tight jeans. “Juice's ex-fiancée.”
If Lucy's answer had shocked Tara she didn't show it. “If you're his ex why are you here to see him?”
By this time the commotion had caught Helen and Opie' attention from the garage.
“Who's that?” Helen casually moved her spanner in the direction of the busty red headed woman talking to her sister.
“Jesus. You don't want to know.” Opie replied settling in for the show.
With a smile Lucy took a step back. “I want to reconcile things between us.”
Gemma watched as Tara stepped up to the plate with Lucy and knowing Tara like she did a punch was going to be thrown at any moment.
“Well he isn't here.” Tara crossed her arms over her stomach.
“I can wait.”
“He won't be back for a few days.” Gemma stepped in.
Lucy pursed her lips. “Listen Gemma, I'm sorry for the ruckus I caused but I am not leaving till I see Juice.”
“He isn't here, so your best bet is to just leave.” Gemma took a step forward. “He doesn't need you here or at all. Not after the shit you pulled last time.”
“Mama Gemma always looking out for her boys.” Lucy scoffed. “I'll be back tomorrow.”
Both women watched as Lucy turned and got back into her car an drove back out the gate.
“Shit another problem of his to deal with.” Gemma looked over at Tara. “We need to keep this one away from Helen.”