Status: New story! In process. I'd love some comments.

Letting Go

Chapter Five

"Oh my-what happened? No, nevermind I can see at happened but..."
Guy shakes his head, running a hand through his hair. "This is not good. I was hoping it was a false alarm."

Glen looks like he's counting to ten in his head as he just stares up at the ceiling.

I sit on the couch, hands clasped in my lap and head lowered, silent.

"Saige, how do you feel?" Guy asks now, coming to kneel in front of me, trying to see into my face. I force all the tears that want to erupt back, and meet his eyes. I didn't get this far in life by crying, and I'm not going to start now.

"I'm fine," I whisper, proud that my voice doesn't waver.

He doesn't look convinced, but smiles. "You're obviously a strong girl, Saige. I admire that, and I honestly think you're what a lot of people need right now."

My head tilts to the side as I wonder what he means by this, but he doesn't give me time to dwell on it. He hands me a duffle bag.

"We grabbed few of your things before we left. So why don't you go upstairs and take a shower and change while we figure out how to move forward from here. Does that sound good?"

I nod, and give him a small smile I don't feel, standing. Walking as far away from Glen as possible, I make my way upstairs, searching for the bathroom.

The hallway is very bright, the walls yellow and white, and the carpeting bright white. Sunlight streams in through floor-to-ceiling windows that have black lace curtains. I relaxed immediately when we first arrived at the house, calmed by all the brightness. I had half expected to be brought to a beaten down shack in the middle of nowhere. The neighborhood is very nice and modern. Respectable.

Opening the middle door on the right, I sigh as I recognize the bathroom, and slip inside. The whole thing is modeled in shades of orange and cream. It's beautiful.

Quickly, I strip from my clothes, and start the water, stepping into the shower. I stretch luxuriously as the hot water runs down my body. Sighing, I slide down onto the textured floor, letting the water pour down on my head.

What is going to happen now? I don't even know what has already happened-everything is happening so fast. Why didn't they report me? Why didn't they run? Why are they-no, why is Guy being so pleasant towards me? He should be terrified. Most of the time i'm scared of me.

I bury my face in my hands, trying not to lose it.

"It's alright... Please don't cry, it'll be okay," a soft, female voice says from nowhere. I look around, but see no one. Was that just my imagination?

When I don't hear anything else, I get up and observe the wall full of body washes and shampoos. I pick a passion fruit body wash and shampoo and get to work. By the time i'm finished, I'm completely relaxed, and ready to face whatever is in store.

Stepping out, I wrap up in a plush white towel, drying my hair, step in front of the big mirror and wipe the steam off... and scream.

(_) _(_) _(_) _(_) _(_) _(_) _(_) _(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_

Dripping water all over the carpeting , and still wrapped in my towels, I stomp across the living room to stand in front of Glen. He stands from his seat on the couch, tense. Enraged, but trying to keep my wits, I take deep breaths. Then I slap him as hard as I possibly can.

His head doesn't move, even as an imprint of my hand appears on his cheek. But his eyes darken slightly. He grabs my wrist when I move to hit him again.

"Speak, or go back upstairs before you get yourself hurt," he threatens, his voice deadly quiet. But I jerk my hand away.

"What. Did. You. Do. To. Me," I ground out, very close to punching him.

Guy steps forward. "Now Saige, if you'd just relax for a minute-"

"What the heck are these?" I tug the top of my towel away from my throat to show him the black markings that literally move over my skin. Moving tattoos.

He winces, coming closer and observing the marks. "Well... we will explain everything, Saige, but just not now. We have to-"

"To what? Why won't you explain right now? What in the world is stopping you-"
I stop in the middle of my shout when something on the television catches my attention, and I turn to it. The news is on, and a woman stands on a stretch of highway that's warmed by police officers and very "official"-looking people. There are several smashed cars behind her and the caution tape and multiple red marks on the ground. Blood?

"I stand here on I-95 taking observation of the remains of this tragedy from last night. Officials are not sure at all what happened, but last night at exactly eleven fifteen, the drivers and passengers of the seven cars you see completely destroyed behind me simply fell asleep while driving. Not just one, and then they all plowed do into the first, but ALL of them, at the exact same time. The cars, having no one to steer them, all ran off of the road at different angles, some plowing straight into one another. Security tapes happened to be on this stretch of road, because it has always been notorious for accidents, but never anything like this. On the tape, as you can see, there's a black pickup truck pulled over to the side of the road. It stays there until a few seconds after the accidents, then speeds away."

My heart stops as I recognize the pickup in the security footage, and my breathing speeds up as I sink to my knees in front of the tv.

"The drivers of five of the cars were killed instantly, including the parents of two three year old children; twins, that were in the backseat during the incident. The children are said to be in critical condition at the hospital, and arrangements are already being made for their other relatives to adopt the new orphans. They're still investigating the crime scene-and yes I do mean crime scene as they believe someone was able to plan this. They aren't sure about much else. If you recognize the license plate number on this truck, please inform authorities immediately, as we suspect the owners of it may have something to do with the incident.

"In other news, president Obama has officially-"

The television is clicked off now, and I sit staring at it, my mind working overtime to process what I just saw and heard. My mind flashes back to last night.

The pain, the burning, the headache... and my uncontrollable screaming.

The truck on that surveillance tape was Glen's... and I was the cause of that accident. My voice caused five people to die, and two children to be orphaned. Those children will never hear their mother and father's voices again because of me. Because I'm a freak.

Because I killed them.

I rock back and forth on my knees, letting go of towel to cover my face and moan in agony. My moans quickly turn to deep, uncontrollable sobs, and pretty soon my whole body is shaking from them as I rock back and forth nonstop, mourning for all the people gone now. All the families that now have one less daughter, son, nice, nephew, wife, husband.. Children. They were someone's children and family and now they're gone.

I'm a murderer...

My sobs increase in strength, but not volume. I feel arms wrap me tightly, and a voice trying desperately to comfort me, but I'm beyond comfort now.

"I want to die," I sob. "Please just kill me! I can't live being a killer-I don't deserve to live, just kill me already! PLEASE! Those people didn't deserve to die. Why should I live two hundred years and everyone else die before they reach ninety? It isn't fair. I'm a monster."

A hand touches the back of my neck as I continue to cry, and I feel my energy seeping away from me. Drowsiness overcomes me, and with a final sob I slip into oblivion.

(_) _) _) _(_) _(_) _) _) _(_) _(_) _(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)-(_

A hand touches my shoulder, shaking me gently. I roll away from it, pressing my face into something firm.

"Saige, wake up. You can go back to sleep in a little bit, but right now we have to go."

Sniffing, I open my eyes. "What?"

"We have to go. Come on."

Glen pulls puts his hands around my waist and pulls me off the bed like I don't weight a thing.

"Why?"

"The government is about to send people our way. Someone reported our truck. We have to go now Saige."

I break out of his hold quickly now, fully awake now. "That's great. I can turn myself in and go to jail like I should."

He doesn't pause as he lifts me up and carries me downstairs. "That's ridiculous saige. You didn't mean to do anything, so it would be false charge."

"It's still my fault!" I say, struggling. "Put me down, and you leave. But I'm staying here."

"Right." But he doesn't stop, continuing out the front door and into the waiting SUV where Guy waits patiently. He loads me into the backseat and climbs in ate. Me, keeping a firm hold in my waist. "Go."

Guy backs out of the driveway, and then we're on our way, speeding through the neighborhood. Deflated, I look back at the house in sadness. I deserve to be in jail, but they won't let them take me...

Again... why?

"All will be explained soon. Please be patient, Saige."

I stiffen at the unknown voice that filters through my head.

Who are you...

There's no sound for so long that I think she won't answer. But then she does.

"I am... you."

What? How are you me?

But now she really doesn't answer me, and I shake my head slowly. The arm around my waist disappears as Glen pull something out of his pocket. It's a small device, similar to a touch-screen cell phone, but somethings off about it. I reach out to touch it, and my fingers go straight through.

Bewildered, I try again, and the same thing happens. Glen watches me do this multiple times before pushing my hand away gently. He continues to enter in some information in a language I've never seen before, before speaking into the device.

My eyes grow slightly unfocused as I listen to him. I don't know what language that is...but my mind can't process it. Usually all it takes is hearing a few words in a language for me to understand it, but my mind completely rejects this one.

When he's finished, he taps a button, and the device disappears into thin air. I continue to stare at the space in his hand where it was until he moves his hand away, looking out of the window.

What was that?

Before I can ask, the car suddenly veers off into the woods, Guy driving crazily through the foliage, but surprisingly not crashing the car. I grab onto whatever I can and hold tight to avoid hitting my head against anything as the car jerks.

Then we stop, and I open my eyes. We're in a small clearing, who knows how many miles from the highway. Something moves under my hands, and I look down to see that my nails are digging into Glen's stomach. I pull them out with gasp, and he winces, pulling his shirt up to survey the damage.

There are two identical sets of four long, deep scratches that are oozing blood. Quickly, I start to search for something to stem the flow, but he stops me.

"I'm fine. Look."

I look back at him, but only see blood. He wipes it away with the palm of his hand, and I stuck in a sharp breath. The scratches are completely gone. And now I see all the bold black markings that cover his stomach. They swirl as he breathes, looking just like... the ones I found on me. Hesitant, I touch them, tracing them as they move, and pull my hand away in shock when my finger leaves a glowing white trail behind. Glen slides his shirt back down and opens his door.

Guy has already climbed out, and stands in the field waiting for us. Glen steps out and turns to me, holding out a hand. I slide out, but don't take his hand, thoroughly spooked. That wasn't normal. No, that wasn't human.

I jump about a foot in the air when thing touches my hair, leaping back from Glen. His head tilts to the side as he reaches for me again. Quick, I run, ending up behind Guy. Glen frowns now, moving towards me, but Guy holds up a hand. "Just give her a few minutes. She has to be in a very delicate mental state right now. This is very hard for her."

He reaches back to take my hand, pulling me up next to him. "Saige, we can't tell you everything, but I'll just get the most obvious things out if the way, before our ride gets here." I stare at him, completely focused.

"Glen and I aren't human, Saige. We aren't from Earth at all." He looks me in the eyes. "Neither are you. Not originally."

That's it? That's what he chose to tell me? I start to laugh, the volume building until I'm doubled over at the waist in hysterics. When I catch my breath, I find he and Glen both staring at me like I've gone mad. Maybe I have.

"Well, I guess it's nice to finally know that for certain," I say simply, wiping my eyes. Glen looks like he wants to say something, but then he shakes his head and turns away.

A smell catches my attention, and I turn around in a small circle, observing the field. The smell is very, very sweet, and slightly fruity, and I start to track it, walking away from the boys. The scent ends at. Tree a few yards away, and I sniff around it, before looking up. I don't see anything, but I'm certain that somethings up there. I've started to climb, when a hand wraps around my ankle.

"What do you think you're doing?" Glen questions, pulling me back down. I land in his arms, and he sets me down on the grass.

"There's something up there," I protest, turning to try again. He holds the back of my shirt firmly. "Let me go, please."

"No. There's nothing up there, Saige. Come back to the car. We're waiting for someone." And with that, he starts to drag me backwards.

"Just who are we waiting for? Your alien buddies?"

He doesn't bother to answer, but we stop next to the car, and he puts a hand on my shoulder to prevent my escape.

"I feel like prisoner," I mumble. "Why are you two kidnapping me anyway?"

"If I recall, we didn't have to drag you kicking and screaming from your house," Glen points out dryly, "so it's not kidnapping."

"I wish I had fought... then all those people would still be alive." My mood drops again, and I wrap my arms around myself, lowering my head.

"I would've taken you whether you'd fought or not. I had no intention of leaving you here."

Well that's comforting...

A small fluttering noise reaches my ears a moment before an eagle lands at my feet. It looks up at me curiously, it's head twitching to the sides a few times. I hold out my arm, lowering it slightly, and he hops up, landing on me. Raising my arm, I reach out and stroke its feathers softly.

When I glance up, Glen and Guy have backed away from me like I'm holding a shotgun aimed at them. "What?"

Guy looks disgusted. "What is that thing?"

"It's an eagle. Do you want to pet him-"

"No, keep that disgusting thing away from me, " he answers quickly, backing up another step as I take one towards him.

I look at Glen, who looks just as repulsed, and stroke the bird again. "Well I'm sure he think you two are gross too," I say lightly, sitting down in the grass. The eagle hops onto the grass next to me, walking around me in a circle. My guard bird.

Glen stares at it, and appaches cautiously. It stops, watching him, as if wondering whether to attack.

"No," I say softly, and it glances at me in acknowledgement. Am I Dr. Doolittle? No, but I have a very good way with animals.

Glen kneels in front of the bird, looking both curious and nervous. "Does it bite?"

"If you weren't with me, yes. Go ahead though."

He reaches out a hand and touches the bird's wing, feeling the feathers. The eagle seems to ruffle slightly, but relaxes quickly. Glen pulls his hand away and stands again, surveying the field. At the same time, the eagle takes off in flight, as if spooked.

Wind blows through suddenly, blowing my hair all in my face, and I have to squint, holding my hair down. "They're here!" Guy calls, and Glen nods, backing up towards me. He stands right in front of me, and the stiffness of his shoulders suggest that he's more than a little nervous. I get an odd feeling in my chest, and I want to help him relax. Who knows why..

I step forward, and rest a hand on his back, not rubbing or anything, but just touching him. His head turns slightly, but not enough that he can see me, and the muscles in his back loosen a bit.

The wind gets rougher, like tornado winds, and I press closer to him, shielding my face from the sand that blows around. What in the world is coming? A helicopter?

The wind loses strength gradually, until it's just a slight breeze again, and I peek out from behind Glen, blinking.

A small plane-like automobile now sits in the clearing, no bigger than Guy's SUV. Was it really kicking up all that wind? That tiny thing?

I move to emerge completely, but Glen moves his arm back, motioning really me to stay put. "Wait until I say it's okay," he says so quietly I barely hear him. I step back so I'm hidden from view again.

I hear something like a suction popping, and a light thump as something hits the ground, followed by two more.

"Hey, little brothers," a raspy deep voice calls out. "To what do I owe the honor of your call for service? You never call, so it must be important."

I'm sure to stay still, barely breathing as the footsteps get closer, thumping lightly on the hard earth under the grass.

"Deon," Guy acknowledges. "We didn't ask for you to bring anyone. We specifically told you not to."

There's a throaty chuckle from the man. "I would have listened too, little brother, if you didn't have your demon spawn of a twin with you. I wasn't taking any chances after last time."

A jolt runs through me as I few the vibration of Glen's answering growl. "I could still take you down easily, with or without your bodyguards. But it's in your fortune today that I'm otherwise preoccupied."

"I don't understand why you're so hateful. Mother did the best she could to raise you up right, and then you go and act like you've never had anyone. We're your family, like it or not."

The muscles in Glen's back start to coil again, like he wants to spring, but I grab a handful of his shirt, stopping him. I press my palm against his back fully, and feel his breathing even out.

"You're right," he says now. "You're my family."

"Exactly."

"So why steal my woman? Is that something family does?"

There's only silence now, an I tense, ready for some sort of fight. But none comes. But the other man's voice sounds again, this time less arrogant.

"I told you I was sorry. We didn't plan for anything to happen. It just..."

"Did," Glen finishes. "Right. But you know what? I don't care anymore. I forgive you."

"What brought this on?" the man asks, sounding suspicious.

Glen takes a little but to answer. When he does, his voice is oddly quiet. "I'll let you know when I figure it out."

There's more silence or minutes, and I start to get worried, but Guy speaks up. "So, now to why we called you."

A throat is cleared. "Yes. Why?"

"We've... come in contact with an unexpected friend. We're taking theM back with us."

"What are you talking about? You found another stray earthly animal? Guy, we can't keep taking in your hobbies. They don't belong in our world, and you know it. Set it free okay? If that's all, we're going home. I can't believe you had me thinking something important actually happened."

"No, I didn't find a stray animal. This is more...unusual."

"Cut to the chase, brother."

"Alright, we'll just get straight to the point," Glen says. His head turns slightly. "You can come out now, Saige."

I hesitate, terrified, and he reaches back to take my hand, pulling me up next to him.

The man Deon is a lot closer than I thought he was, and I find myself face to face with him. His surprise is obvious. He stares at me intently, and moves up closer than I'm comfortable with. Scared by not only his height, but his heavily-muscled frame, I step back, and Glen has to put an arm behind my back to stop me. I move closer to him, and he puts his hand on top of my head.

"Relax, I won't let him hurt you," he murmurs, before removing his hand.

Don't eyebrows practically disappear into his hair he looks so shocked. "Who are you and what have you done with my demonic little brother? And have you both lost your mind? We can't take a human girl back to our world. That's against the most important law we have!"

I wince at how loud he gets, wanting nothing more than to run.

"Don't. We are safe here."

That's it, I'm going insane. I keep hearing this voice...

"She isn't human," Guy defends me.

"Of course she is. You found her here, right? What is she claiming to be, Namai?"

She is right here, I want to scream.

"Why isn't she talking? Is something wrong with her?"

"Saige doesn't talk much," Glen says. "And she's a very upset right now, so give her some space. I mean it."

Deon raises an eyebrow. "You'd better explain why I'm taking her with us, or she's not coming. She is obviously human, and you've obviously lost your minds."

Glen steps right up to him. "Listen to me. She is coming with us, whether you like it or not. You will find out why with the rest of the family. So get in the ship, and drive us home. Or we'll get in, and leave you and your bodyguards here. Would you prefer that?"

They stare at each other intensely for the longest time, before Deon nods curtly. "As you wish, commander," he says mockingly. "I wouldn't want to be executed for disobedience."

I feel something in Glen snap, not audibly, but I feel it all the same. He lunges at his brother, and I don't think, I just act, throwing myself between them and throwing my hands up.

"Stop!" I yell, squeezing my eyes shut. I hear a few gasps, and feel a warmth surround me. Opening my eyes, I freeze in shock. A circular wall of what looks to be white flames surround me. Sparkly streaks of color run through it, streaking up towards the sky. I relaxed, and the wall disappears, leaving faint traces of sparkles in the air.

A heavy sense of fatigue comes over me, and I slump a little. Glen moves forward to support me, concern in his eyes. "Are you okay?"

I nod. "That's your brother... you shouldn't fight him like that. You're lucky to... have a family. I wish... I did... "

With effort, I manage to stand up straighter, trying to take my weight back off if him, but he makes me lean on him. "Don't move. Your energy will return in a few minutes."

Deon, who has watched the whole exchange with amazement, now walks closer to me, squinting.

"You must be something special for my brother to actually care if you're okay or not. He doesn't care whether anyone is okay." He frowns. "And you're obviously not human after all... what was that you just did?"

Glen answers before I can open my mouth. "She doesn't know. I doubt she meant to do it. We're getting in the ship now."

He leads me up to the craft, and climbs in, reaching down to lift me up after him.

I stare around me with wide eyes while he leads me to a seat. This thing can't possibly be this big inside; it looked so tiny out there...

It resembles a high class hotel, with a bar, and couches, and a few doors that are open, revealing bedrooms. Glen leads me to a buttery soft couch, and I sit, still in awe.

Guy is the next to get in, and he smiles at me as he passes, going straight to the bar. "Thirsty?"

I shake my head no, and he frowns slightly, but nods.

Deon enters next, followed by his bodyguards. He moves to sit next to me, but pauses, looking past me to Glen. I can practically feel him glaring over my shoulder at his brother.

"You will not get anywhere near Saige. If I catch you within five feet of her at any time, you will regret being born with legs so you'd already be accustomed to not having them."

Deon narrow his eyes, but apparently knows not to test him, as he continues past to the bar with Guy.

Glen releases me, leaning back and sighing. He doesn't look happy. I scoot a little bit away, and his eyes cut to me. "What are you doing?"

"Giving you some space-"

He hooks a couple fingers in the waistband of my jeans and slides me back with what looks to be no effort. "I would appreciate it if you'd stay here. I don't trust my brother not to try anything with you."

"I heard that. And I'm happily joined, little brother. I was simply curious of this girl that has you so soft all of a sudden."

This is soft? Then how is he usually?

Glen blows out a breath, and his head tilts up. "Captain," he calls. "Begin journey home. Quickly."

I jump as a loud automated voice answers in a foreign language. The same language I heard Glen speaking earlier in the car. There's a loud bang from somewhere in the metal monster, and I slip my hand around Glen's arm, hating my fear. I've never done well with not being in control. And I have no idea what's going on.

My body gets more and more tense, until it feels like I'm going to snap in half with the slightest movement. Glen shifts, leaning against the arm of the couch, and pulls me up until I'm half on his lap. Uncomfortable, I try to move away, but he puts a hand on my head, pulling it down onto his chest.

I feel the vibrations in his chest as he speaks. "Try to sleep."

"I'm not tired.. " And this is way too close for comfort.

His hand trails down from my hair to my the back of my neck, and he rubs his fingers in a gentle circle. "You are," he murmurs. "Just relax..."

My eyes sag, seeming too heavy to hold open. What is he doing to me...

The female voice in my head answers now. "We must rest now. Our mate wants us to rest."

Our... what?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading :)

_TECH_