The Favored

Preface

It was a cold day. Especially surprising since it was summer. I couldn’t figure out why it was so cold. Maybe it was Global Warming. But then that would’ve made it hotter, wouldn’t it? Maybe it was Global Colding? Nah, that doesn’t exist.

I was lying in bed, extra late this day, though I couldn’t tell you why. The boarding school I was attending was very, very bland, and I didn’t care to show up for classes. What was the point? It wasn’t like I was going to use anything they taught me, anyway.

Something shimmered beside me, and I opened an eye to see Chiron in an Iris-message. What was he doing? Didn’t he realize the danger he was putting himself in by— Oh, who was I kidding? I didn’t share my dorm with anyone.

“Belle!”

I sighed, and sat up. “Good morning, Chiron,” I said around a yawn. “How are things at camp?”

He glared. “You had me worried sick, Belle.” He sighed to calm himself down. “But I guess I should feel blessed that you are alright. Where are you?”

“Florida,” I answered with distaste. I honestly thought that this school would be just slightly less boring with the beach, but I was so badly mistaken that it wasn’t even funny.

“Florida? As in the Bermuda Triangle?

I shook my head. “As in the Gulf of México.”

He nodded. “Are you planning on attending camp?”

I scratch my head in consideration. “How are things?”

“Things have calmed. The campers are safer since… Well, you know.”

I nodded. “I think I shall pay camp a visit.”

“I’ll send money down.”

“There’s no need for that, Chiron. I’ll be—”

“I’m going to do it anyway, Belle, and you know it. So let’s save ourselves the trouble of arguing and just nod and smile.”

I did as he told me. Nodded and smiled. “Goodbye, Chiron.”

“Goodbye, Belle.”