Sequel: Blood Red Moon
Status: Warning: Currently rewriting! Chapter 1-5 are safe!

Red at Day

Chapter 11 - Nothing's Okay

I stare out the window as I listen to “Like a Knife” by Secondhand Serenade on my iPod. It's raining so it's the perfect setting. I'm still upset about getting shot and actually shooting my new friend. I'm worried about how everything played out at the end, too. The people can't live at the hotel anymore, so they're back into the world of the zombies. Families have been ripped apart. Many of the adults had to take on the responsibility of taking some orphans. I almost took the children I saved but another family said they would take care of them.
A lot of the group wanted to stay together to live and train but others went off to find other cities while some went to seek safety on a boat. “Annabelle, you okay?” Jackie asks. I look over and nod. I go back to looking out the window feeling sorry for myself. What kind of leader gets shot then kills a new member? I'm handicapped for the next couple of months then have to go threw therapy. Everyone will have to try harder to keep up my weight. “You don't look alright.” Jackie says. “I'm fine.” I sigh. “Do you want to talk about it?” “About what? There's no problem.” “Okay... but I'm here if you want to talk.” “K.” The song changes to “Mess” by Get Scared.
The car ride to Yellowknife was long. Carter drove slow because the roads would be slippery. Of course I spaced out most of the time. “We need to stop for food and warm clothes for the north.” I say. “We'll go first thing this rain stops.” Angel comforts. We drive around looking for a hotel. We find this cute restaurant called Wildcat Cafe but I don't think it's a bed and breakfast. We move on until we find a one level house. Jackie and I run out into the pouring rain to find the front door is locked. We rush around the back to see if there is a door there is unlocked. There is but it's a glass sliding door which is also locked. The sound of rain intensifies in the back. As we head back to the cars we notice a large, in ground pool. We hear the familiar “pap, pap, pap” of the rain heavily hitting the pool. Jackie and I walk up to the pool and see it's zombie free. Maybe the others could have fun swimming in this later. Jackie and I run back tot he front of the house and she unlocks the door. Jackie and I go inside to check to see if there are zombies and the others quickly follow, guns ready.
It's dark but there's enough light to look around. The kitchen and dinning room are separated by a bar in the wall. Rose and Reed go into the kitchen to check for zombies (and some liqueur.) The Dining room is also in the same room as the living room. The floors are a darker brown and the walls are white. There's also a long hallway that contains three bedrooms and a bathroom. At the very end of the hall is a untouched master bedroom with its own bathroom. The other two rooms must belong to a teenage boy and an infant girl. “Annabelle, this water heater is gas powered!” Jackie yells from the master bedroom. “Well it's not like we'll need a shower now.” I reply. “Annabelle, your bandages are wet. Let me change them.” Carter says. “Alright but we'll need to bring our stuff in first and sort out who gets which room. Otherwise the new bandages will be wet and you'll have to change them again.” “How are we going to sort out who gets what room?” Bruce asks from the teen's room. “We get a hat and write down names on pieces of paper.”
We write the names in three groups. “Paris and Bruce” “Rose and Reed” and finally “Carter and Angel.” The ladies and James will sleep in the living room while the couples get their alone time. When you think of it, there are some perks to having a partner in this. Not only do you have the chance at getting a bed but you also get a cuddle partner and privet time. Honey mixes the three papers together in the hat and says “This is for the master bedroom.” the couples cross fingers. It's a luxury to get a double bed. Honey grasps a piece of paper and takes it out. She looks at the names and says “Paris and Bruce!” “Yes!!” the couple yell in excitement. Honey passes the hat over to Kasmira. “For the twin bed.” Kasmira says, mixing around the two papers. She pulls out on and reads “Rose and Reed!” The two high five each other. Precious babies. The drivers take their cars and park them in the street while Bruce gets the back of the van directly in front of the front door. No wet sleeping bags! When everything that is needed is taken out, Bruce parks the car in the driveway so no one can get in the house or his van!
We have James sleep on the couch and the rest of the girls put their sleeping bags around the room. The couch is facing a fireplace. Carter says it'd be a bad idea to light it because the zombies may notice. “How could they notice in the rain?” Kasmira asks. “We'll have the doors locked and we can dry everything faster.” Paris says. “It'll keep us warm from the rain.” Reed offers. “They have s'mores ingredients!” Jackie says. “Fine.” Carter sighs. Everyone goes to their rooms (except James goes to the potty house) to change into dry clothes. We find a whole mess of towels and use those to dry off (even if some of us use them as whipping instruments.) We grab some towel racks and put them close enough to the fire so they can dry properly without getting burned. We all talk and joke around while Carter changes my bandages. “I can't wait until we go to the store. We all could use new pajama bottoms and more shirts! Also, winter stuff for when we reach the north!” Angel enthuses. “We could use more razor blades. We ran out yesterday.” Jackie says. “We could also use pads and tampons.” Honey blushes. “Gross.” Bruce says. “Do you want us to bleed over everything?” Kasmira ask. “Sorry we don't have a choice in antagonizing pain for a week while we bleed.” Jackie huffs. “When girls hang out enough all their periods sync up. Just saying.” I threaten. “Oh no.” the guys say together. The girls laugh at the guys and continue the conversation. “I really need pajama bottoms, though.” I sigh. “You don't have any?” Reed “No, I keep forgetting to grab some.” “Then what do you sleep in?” asks Carter, finishing the bandaging. “Usually a shirt and underwear.” “Now that's hot.” Reed says. “Are the clothes almost dry? I wanna make S'mores.” Jackie sighs. Angel feels the clothes and says “Almost done, Jackie.” Jackie sighs, not wanting to wait. “Do you think we could go swimming?” Honey asks. “Maybe later.” Carter replies “It's dark out now and it's still raining.” “Rain's the best part of swimming.” “I'd rather not risk it.” “Do you think we could make hot chocolate?” Kasmira asks. “The stove's gas powered.” James informs. “What about over the stove?” Angel sighs and goes to the kitchen to see if there's unspoiled milk, hot chocolate packets, and marshmallows. “We don't have any liquid milk.” Angel sighs. “Ew.” Everyone whines.
After we finish eating our roasted hotdogs and our S'mores, we all shuffle into our beds.
I open my eyes and it feels like the middle of the night. I hear a low growling and lift my head to look around. There's blood everywhere. My breath quickens and my head feels light. A zombie must have come in and eaten everyone. Their throats have been torn out and they don't even have stomachs anymore. I look around for my gun but I can't find it. I cuss under my breath and grab a fireplace fork as a weapon. I walk down the hallway and each room is a bloody massacre. I panic, unable to find the monster that killed all of my friends but all I can hear is growling. That's all I've ever been able to hear. I go into the bathroom and look behind the shower. It's empty. I leave but something catches my attention. I back up and look in the mirror. There's blood dripping from my mouth and hands. I scream and more growling can be heard around the house. Lots of thumping and dragging. Everyone who I ate, comes running in and attacks me.
My eyes burst open and I feel paralyzed but I reluctantly move. I sit up and look around. Everyone's sleeping. My heartbeat returns back to normal and my breath slows. It was a dream. A very cruel dream. I get out of bed and look into all the rooms to be sure. Everyone's sleeping and everything's fine. I sigh out of relief and go into the bathroom. I turn on the light and look at myself in the mirror. My skin is much whiter due to fright and I can't stop shaking. My shoulder hurts like hell and my throat is dry. “Annabelle, what are you doing up?” I look over and see Bruce. “Bad dream.” I sigh. “Wanna talk about it?” I shake my head. “I'm here if you need me.” Bruce offers. “Why are you being so nice to me?” I ask. “We're friends, aren't we? Look, I know you hated me before all this and little at the beginning. I know you think I'm just using Paris to get to Jackie.” He takes a long pause. “But you still like Jackie.” I say. “Yeah, a lot.” Bruce replies. “Look, Paris is my friend and she is desperately in love with you. It's not fair to her to be halfway in the relationship.” “I know... You've screamed at me about this before...” “Yeah, I constantly look out for her but it just feels like she'd rather have her man that us. That she'd rather have you.” “At times I feel like that too. She's honestly pushing you and Jackie away.” “She told Jackie she hated her once.” “I was there for that.” I sit down on the toilet. “Remember before this and we use to have girls day? We'd have a sleepover and joke around but every time we just wanted girls day, you and Reed came over?” I ask. “Yeah, then Jackie and I would get into a fight.” “I think you should talk to Jackie about how you feel. Get it all off your chest so you can get some closure. Then you can be fully in the relationship with Paris.” “What if she doesn't want to talk?” “I'll talk to her and make sure she does.” “You'd do that for me?” “Yeah, man.” We hug and Bruce goes back to bed. I walk around, unable to fall back asleep.
I managed to fall back asleep and woke up around eleven in the morning. It's still pouring it. You never see it raining in the zombie shows. I see Bruce walk out of his bedroom holding Paris's hand. Angel is making pancakes and french toast. “Morning.” Honey says. I look up and see she's playing poker with Carter, Jackie, Kasmira, James, Rose and Reed. “I want to send three people to go out and some supplies. Grab me some paper and a pen so I can make a list.” I say. Bruce walks into the kitchen and grabs the items I requested. “Thanks, man.” I say as I receive the items. I walk back into the living room and put the items on the coffee table. “We need lots of pads, tampons, razors, condoms.” I say as I write the items “We'll all go shopping for food and clothes when the storm clears but for now I'll just send three people to grab some necessities.” “If they find bullets, bring them.” Reed says. “Could they grab more medical supplies? I don't want to run low.” Carter asks. “Games.” Kasmira huffs, aggravated by poker. “Is soap something we'll get later too?” Angel asks. “Yeah.” I reply. “Toilet paper and towels.” Rose says. “Bug repellant. It'll be summer soon and if a mosquito gets us, we'll be infected. Oh, and sunscreen.” James informs. “Do you have any idea of the terror you have put inside of me?” I ask. “Sorry.” James laughs “We'll need more gas for the cars and generators.” “Batteries too. Our flashlights might die at any time.” Honey says. “Matches. Jackie used up a lot of them.” Angel says. “They help me keep calm!” Jackie replies “Plus I'm a pyromaniac!” “A rope?” Paris offers. “Oh boy! We're getting ropy?!” James jokes. “Ropy?” Reed asks. “That's what I called the rope I kept in my room before all this. My mom always took it out assuming I'd hang myself.” “You wouldn't do that.” Bruce laughs. “Tell that to her!” “Anything else?” I ask. “Tools. You'll never know when a car will break down and we'll need some parts from a nearby car.” Honey says. “No one knows how to fix cars.” Jackie sighs “Weapon sharpeners.” “Bruce and I can try to fix the cars.” Carter offers. “Thanks.” Kasmira smiles. “If that's all I'm going to pick three people to go on this mission.” I say. I look around and no one has anything else to say. “Bruce, Jackie and James are going to grab the things on this list.” I say. “What?! Why do I have to go?!” Jackie asks. “Because I need people with blades to go.” “Then why is Bruce going?!” “To help you guys with the mission. I need you and Bruce to grab what you need in the store. James will guard the entrance and if he sees anything he'll tell you on the walkie-talkie. Besides, this will be great practice for you and your battleaxe.” “Yeah, thanks.” James says. “Why can't I go?” Paris asks. “Because I need you here.” I reply. “I don't want Ja-” “She's not going to so stop being overprotective of him. He's a big boy and can think for himself. He doesn't need you constantly holding his hand and keeping him from his friends.” “What do you know? You don't even have a boyfriend!” “Enough to know that he, Jackie and James are going and you're staying here.” “No I'm not!” “Then you leave the group. You've been a big help with the zombies but you're always arguing with the people here. We can't keep having the same arguments.” “Just stay here.” Bruce says. Paris' face flushes with anger. She stomps back into her room, slamming the door behind her. “Jackie, we need to talk.” I say, standing up and walking to the bathroom. Jackie follows me in and I shut the door behind her. “Look, I need you to go on this mission with Bruce and James.” I begin “I need you and Bruce to talk so you can quit with all the nonsense. We don't need drama within the group. Especially since there are all these zombies.” “What if I don't want to make up with him?” Jackie huffs. “Too bad. Just talk to him and work out your differences. This way there will be less arguing. Also, you and Paris can become friends again.” Jackie stares at me coldly, not liking the idea of having to make up with Bruce. She thinks it over, missing the old times she had with Paris. “Fine.” Jackie says “But Paris is pretty pissed at you now.” “I'd rather her be mad at me than you. You two have been fighting for a while and I know you just want to be friends with her again.” “Thanks but why risk your friendship for mine?” “I dunno. I care more about you guys than I do myself. Before all this happened I nearly killed myself. You guys saved me. I guess I'm trying to repay you guys and keep you alive. If it weren't for you all, I wouldn't have made it this far into the apocalypse. I'd have offed myself in the beginning or fallen pray to my zombie parents.” “We've all been there. I've tried to die too. I don't know what I'd do without you guys and I'm happy to help.” “I'm glad you're alive.” “I'm glad I'm a live too.” “Bitch.” I laugh. It takes us a moment to stop laughing and become serious again. “I'll go but why have you been upset lately. I've noticed it and I know you too well. What's been bothering you.” Jackie asks. “Nothing.” I lie. Jackie frowns and says “I know something's going on. You're acting like you did back in school. Carter's been acting like the leader lately because you've been acting depressed. Is it your arm?” I look at my arm then back at her. “A little.” I sigh. “What's the full reason?” She asks. I stare at her, unable to tell her my worries. I don't want her to know how weak I am. Jackie, the truth is I have doubts about everything. I doubt I'm a good leader, that we'll even make it. I don't want to be the reason anyone else dies. I doubt we can end this, or even if the poles work. Everyone around me is either miserable or dead. It's just no good. I'm no good. Carter would make a better leader anyway. He's been preparing for this for years but he just takes orders from me. Me, the person who can't stand herself. “I'm fine.” I say after a long pause. “I won't pressure you but if you need someone to talk to, I'm here.” Jackie sighs. I nod and she leaves me alone in the bathroom.

~Jackie's Pov~

I sit in the passenger's seat of Bruce's van with James sitting in the back. This place is loaded with junk and I question how people can still fit in the back. This is more like a portable storage unit. “So how've you been?” Bruce asks. I look out the window, not bothering to respond to him. I hear him sigh and continue driving. “So, where are we going to pick up all these weapons? We can't go to the outlet again.” James asks. “I guess we'll go from place to place. We can get almost everything as CVS. Jackie can grab the pads, tampons, razors, medical supplies, sunscreen, games, and bug repellant while we get the condoms, toilet paper, batteries, and matches. Then we can go to a Home Depot and grab towels, rope, tools and weapon sharpeners. Then we can just go to a gas station and grab the gas.” “What about the bullets?” “We'll have to find a gun store.” “So are we going to CVS first?” “Yeah.” “How come I have to grab all the girl stuff?” I complain. “We don't have a clue what girls would like.”
We drive up to CVS. There's good news and bad news. The good news is the door is open. The bad news is the door is open. If the door is open then that means it's more than likely to have zombies walking around. However, that means we won't trigger any alarms. We all get out of the car and slowly approach the door. I hear growling on the inside and nod my head. “I'll go in and draw them out. Then I want you guys to kill them as soon as they get out.” Bruce orders. I hate listening to him but his plan is pretty good. Bruce walks in and I can hear him running around screaming “Free buffet! Get it while it's living!” The growling grows louder and we watch Bruce run out. “They're coming!” Bruce yells as he exits the CVS and as soon as we see the first one running out, James and I slice into their heads. By the time we finish there are twenty-three zombies laying on the ground. “I'll keep watch. You two go in and grab what we need.” James orders. Bruce and I nod then enter the abandoned CVS. I look around at first to make sure we are zombie free in here. “We're good.” Bruce assures. My eyes narrow and I grab a shopping cart. I speed walk my way to the “girl” section and grab five pacts of disposable razors, three packs of every tampon size, and four of every kind of pad. I then go to grab three medical kits, eleven sunscreen and bug repellant cans. I sprint to the game section and grab “checkers” “Candy land” “Shoots n' ladders” “Life” and “Sorry.” I refuse to grab “Monopoly.” That game is the destroyer of friendships. Well, so is “Life” but we can handle that. I meet up with Bruce and see he grabbed five packs of every kind of condom (along with every size), five packs of those really large toilet paper packs, four of every size of battery, ten packs of matches, and I noticed he got five packs of really good cigarettes. “What are those for?” I ask, pointing at the cigarettes. “Well, some of us use to smoke so I figured we could have fun.” Bruce says. “That hasn't been for a long time. Not only that but we'd be killing our lungs and giving the zombies an advantage!” Bruce frowns but walks out of the store anyway. The alarm didn't go off. I guess you need a generator to have power now. I stomp out of the store and put my things into the back of Bruce's van. We all get back into the car and head for the gas station across the street. There we quickly go inside and grab all of the oil and gasoline.
We arrive at Home Depot and don't even bother trying to kill all the zombies. There are probably thousands of zombies inside. We just have to be careful not to be seen. That's no problem for me but Bruce may have an issue. “I'll grab the rope and tools. I need you to go get the towels and weapon sharpeners.” Bruce orders. “What makes you think I want to get the towels?” I huff. “You're a girl. You can quickly grab some nice ones.” “That's sexist!” “No, now go!” I almost yell but that would be a bad idea. “Sorry you have to keep waiting outside in the rain.” I say to James. “It's fine. As long as I have something overhead I don't mind.” James replies. I shrug and head inside with Bruce. There's much more groaning in here than there was at CVS. “If anything happens, run.” Bruce whispers. “You don't have to tell me twice.” I reply coldly. We head inside and I sneak by a group of zombies to get to the towels. I grab twenty-two towels, not paying attention to what they look like, hurry outside. James takes the towels and puts them in the car while I run back inside. I have trouble reaching the weapon sharpeners but I manage to reach the isle. “Crap.” I think. There's two zombies in the isle I need. I run in and slice into both their heads quietly. I take four weapon sharpening kits. When I exit Home Depot I see Bruce putting three ropes and different tool boxes/kits into the van. Surprisingly there's still room for James in the back. We all drive off to a gun store.
The gun store is completely empty. Bruce and I take our time grabbing the bullets. “So, Jackie...” Bruce trails off. “What?” I ask. “I think we should talk...” “About?” “You and me.” “There's nothing to talk about. You're with Paris and I don't like you.” “Yes but Jackie-” “No buts!” “Jackie, I love you!” I narrow my eyes and say “You're with Paris and she's my friend! I wouldn't do anything to hurt her and you know that!” “That's not what Paris says. She honestly can't stand you, Annabelle and Kasmira. She's even starting to hate Carter and Angel.” “I don't care! I don't like you, Bruce!” “Can we just talk about this?!” “No!” I grip the handle of my sword. Bruce runs towards me, grabbing me by my shoulders. I panic and unsheathe my katana. I close my eyes thrust my katana forward in panic. I feel a large weight on my katana and slowly open my eyes. My katana through Bruce's chest. Bruce looks at me, tears in his eyes and blood dripping from his mouth, and says “I forgive you.” He slides off my katana and hits the floor with a large thud. “No! I didn't mean it!” I scream, eyes watering “I didn't mean to hurt you!” Blood pours from Bruce's chest and his eyes roll back. I drop my sword and sink to my knees. I begin breathing heavily. “What happened?” James screams as he runs in. He notices Bruce on the floor and grips his Battleaxe. “I-I didn't m-mean to. H-he came after m-me.” I stutter. James thinks things over, wondering if he should trust me or not. All he knows is Bruce is dead and that I killed him. “Slide your sword to me and then back away.” James orders. I do as he says. James takes the katana and pierces Bruce's skull multiple times, making sure he won't come back as a zombie. “Grab the ammo and get in the back of the van.” James orders. I nod and do as he says once more. The back is still big enough to hold James.
It was a long trip back to base. I don't know what to say or if they'll kill me. If anything they'd banish me from the group.