Sequel: Blood Red Moon
Status: Warning: Currently rewriting! Chapter 1-5 are safe!

Red at Day

Chapter 7 - Another one Bites the Dust.

“A-Adolf d-died. A z-zombie got him.” Jackie sobs. I stare at her in disbelief for a moment.
“What happened?” I ask.
“A-Adolf a-and I were in the w-woods and he tried to-to...” Jackie stutters “A zombie came from behind and then bit him.”
“Are you okay?” Jackie nods and I notice she doesn't look sad. She looks furious at the act Adolf tried.
“I killed the zombie that tried to eat Adolf but... he will be a zombie soon.” I look past her into the woods. My eyes narrow and my face flushes. Adolf actually tried to rape Jackie?! How could he do that to my best friend? How could he even do that at all? No one deserves to be raped. I remember people use to blame what girls wore and said they deserved that. Well, Jackie is wearing a floppy sweatshirt and baggy pajama pants. If that zombie didn't get to Adolf before he raped Jackie, would she have deserved it?
Anyway, I lose all interest in Adolf. Scum like him don't deserve to spit in anyone's direction. Sure, my heart is kind of taking a beating but I'd rather deal with this feeling for an eternity than have Jackie go threw this again. In a way, it's almost a relief Adolf is dead. I look at Jackie and she's wiping the tears off her face.
“That zombie had my back.” she sobs, managing to smile. I smile and give Jackie a big hug.
“I know.” I say “I'm so sorry. I should have known what he was up to. You shouldn't have had to go threw that.”
“It's over.” Jackie replies, returning my hug.
“Did you kill Adolf?” Kasmira asks.
“He was already killed.”
“Yeah, but he was bitten... If you didn't shoot him or stab him in the head, he's coming back!” Honey panics. I watch the blood drain from Jackie's face.
“I'm not taking anymore risks. If they weren't in the woods, that zombie and more could have gotten into camp. We're getting out of here. Jackie and Kasmira, wake everyone up. Tell them we're leaving and give them the reason if they ask.” I order “Honey, we're going to find Adolf and we're going to kill him.”
“No.” Jackie mutters “I want to kill him.”
“Darling, I don't think that's a good idea.” I place my hand on her shoulder but she pushes me off.
“I need to do this.” Jackie said. I look into her eyes and nod.
“Honey and Kasmira, quietly wake everyone up. Tell them to pack up immediately. If they ask any questions just tell them there are zombies.” I order.
“What if they ask about Adol-” Kasmira starts.
“Then tell them.” I interrupt. Jackie and I make our way into the surrounding woods to find Adolf.
“Where is he?” I whisper. The trees block out the light from the moon making it nearly impossible to see. We know not to turn on a flashlight or match because it'll attract zombies.
“We were right over here.” Jackie replies. I look more and whisper “Use your knife for now.” Jackie nods and we continue looking.
The moans around us are deafening. Jackie and I kept jerking around every way, pointing and slashing at the air to avoid being bitten. I feel something grab my back and I kick hard, knocking it away from me. It quickly stands up and goes after me. I pierce my knife into it's forehead and twist, killing it immediately. I take a closer look but it's not Adolf. A hand grabs me by my hair and pulls me upward. I kick and try to turn so I can slash whatever is holding me. A decomposing young woman with big lips and messy red hair. She brings her cold rotting hand up to my cheek and digs her nails into my face. Blood begins running from the top of her head and she collapses on top of me. I push the moldy woman off of me and rub my sore cheek.
“Thanks.” I whisper.
“No problem.” Jackie replies as she helps me off the ground.
Our eyes slowly adjust and we can see movement everywhere.
“We need to go!” I panic, grabbing Jackie's arm and being running back towards camp.
The zombies notice us and they begin growling. As we continue running we try not to trip over tree roots and our own feet. We nearly dodge the many zombies running towards us from the front. We pull out our guns and shoot the ones that get close enough to us. My eyes scan for the one zombie we must kill. I stop dead in my tracks and shoot the zombies rapidly approaching.
“Annabelle, what are you doing?!” Jackie panics.
“To your left!” I scream, reloading my gun. Jackie jerks to the left and points her gun. She pulls the trigger and down goes the curly haired blond. Bye, Adolf. I can't really say you'll be a huge loss but I can't say everyone will be glad you're gone.
Jackie and I sprint back to the sight. Everything is almost packed. Everyone's rushing around and just throwing things into the cars.
“You girls are lucky I knew it was you!” Jackie and I look over to see Curt shooting the zombies.
“Curt, get away from the water!” I order.
“Annabelle, zombies can't swim!” Curt yells.
“Exactly!” A zombie grabs my hair and I had the pleasure of being rescued by Curt.
“Curt, I mean it! You don't know-” I begin.
“I think I do!” Curt screams “You think I'm an idiot but I have feelings, too! You treat me like an idiot who can't handle himself but you'd be dead if it weren't for me! Just face it! I'm the man in this and you're less than me! I'm smarter and stronger and you're here to help me! I keep you safe and in return you make me happy! My whole life I've never been happy! Everyone avoided me like I was already a zombie so I crave what no one wants to give me! As a woman, I order you to give me what I want!” My face turns red with anger but I have to have duty over killing this insufferable prick.
“Stupid, behind you!” I scream.
Zombies have surfaced from the water and are running towards us. Zombies can't swim but how can they run in water? I can't even run in water. Well, then again, I can't swim. Curt turns around and nearly gets bit. Curt shoots the zombie in the head and is quickly getting surrounded.
“Get out the machine guns!” I order. I hold my gun up and aim at the zombies surrounding Curt. I can't fund it within myself to pull the trigger, though. Why can't I pull it? Gun shots from behind go off. Jackie has my back. Common, pull the damn trigger!
“Annabelle! Help me!” Curt screams. Zombies are all around him, biting into his flesh.
“Sorry, I'm only good for cooking and sex.” I mumble. My arm drops and I turn around to help Jackie. There are much more zombies than expected and the zombies from the city are sure to come soon. The rapid firing of machine guns bring down the zombies clawing at Curt but they don't silence his screams. I turn around once more and see blood pouring from Curt into the water. I run towards the van which holds the first machine gun.
“Guys, we need to grab Curt and get out of here!” I scream.
“Why not just leave him here?” asks Reed.
“What about Adolf?” Rose asks.
“It's too late! Adolf is dead but Curt is still alive!” I reply. Paris continues to shoot but Bruce coaxes her into stopping. Carter looks over and stops shooting as well.
“Bring your guns, guys. We're going to get Curt and put him in my jeep!” I order. A second wave of Zombies come up from the water. Angel, Kasmira and Paris go to help Jackie while Carter and Bruce pick up Curt. Around them, everyone else is shooting the zombies who easily walk out of the water. They're the second most terrifying thing to be in water. The first, of course, would be a shark. I know they're “harmless” and you have more chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a shark but seriously, they're scary as hell!
Reed and Rose open the trunk to the Jeep. Although the back is full, Bruce and Carter manage to slide Curt over everything and lay him down in the back.
“You don't mind?” asks James.
“Dude, I plan on junking this car after all this. It's horrible with gas. Honestly, we can just bunk with you.” I reply.
“Wasn't this your mom's jeep?”
“...Yeah., but it's not the car that matters. At least I still have her necklace. That's all I really need. Plus, you all have my dad's guns and gunk. We'll just put all this stuff in the van.”
“Annabelle!” Jackie yells, getting into the passenger's seat. I nod and we all split.
Everyone peels out of the woods. Bruce's driving his van with the back open. Paris is using the machine gun to full use. There are still many zombies running towards us but not for long. I never thought Paris would be this good with a machine gun. Rose is helping Paris by reloading and keeping the ammo untangled. Reed, of course, is in the passenger's seat. Angel is with Carter and she's also doing her part. She's using her pistol to shoot down stray zombies. Honey and Kasmira are in the back of James's car. They're doing the same as Angel.
There are many Zombies in Lake William. The sound of guns were enough to put them into a frenzy.
“Is he okay?” I ask. Jackie looks into the back of the jeep and shakes her head.
“He's almost completely out of blood. He has way too many bites, and lots of chunks are missing from all over and he was in the water when this happened.” Jackie replies.
“Go on the walkie-talkie. Tell everyone we're going to try and find a safe place to stay for the night. I'm sure they're all exhausted...” Jackie nods and does as told. Another one bites the dust.