Status: Happening

Sunshine and Cadavers

Warren

The funeral was death itself. Aveta looked like what she was. A corpse. I stared. Cassie watched her steadily, never crying. Her mom floated over her in a cloud, whispering in her ear. I watched. Why did Aveta not whisper to me?

Allen approached me. “It’s a good thing you were there to pick up the phone.” No, it wasn’t. I didn’t want to pick up the fucking phone. I thought it was April calling. She worked at that hospital. But they were calling about Aveta. Damn Aveta. I hadn’t spoken to her in months. Her and Cassie seemed set to die in the darkness without clean clothes or water. They could have and I wouldn’t have cared. But Aveta had to die and leave Cassie to move in with us. April was so excited.

“Well, Cassie would have called back.” What a liar I was.

“Yeah, but…I’m just glad someone was there. I thought she would die alone.” I wish she had.

“She wouldn’t have.”

Allen scratched his neck. “It’s just hard to think she went out that way. My own baby sister.” Not hard for me to think. She’d always shot up cocaine like it was the fucking elixir of life. Too bad it’s liquid immortality. No one forgets when a person dies of an overdose. Especially people like Aveta. People who were theoretically essentially good. I’ll surely never hear the end of Aveta Morton.
♠ ♠ ♠
Warren's a dick. I think we can all agree on that(: It's short, yes, but Warren is a man of few words. His chapters will probably always be the shortest. Hope you enjoyed it anyway. Comment and subscribe...and, I guess, recommend if you would like, also(: