Status: Happening

Sunshine and Cadavers

April

I was in the guest room getting prepared for Cassie’s arrival. I couldn’t help but be bubbling with joy over her joining us. It was like having a daughter finally. Warren and I seemed destined to be the parents of a wild, all-boy family. Michael ran in and jumped on the bed, laughing like a mad man. “Michael Matthew Hayes, get off that bed right now.”

“How come I’ve never met this girl before?” he asked curiously. He had his arms folded behind his head and his legs were crossed at the ankles.

“If you get off the bed, I’ll tell you,” I bargained, neatly folding one of our nice towels. He groaned and stood up. “Now straighten it out.” He groaned again and began smoothing out the wrinkles he’d made. “Warren didn’t really have a good relationship with Aveta after they broke up. A lot of times when people get divorced, relationships get damaged. That’s what happened with Warren and Cassie.”

“How old is she again?” he asked, looking up from his work.

“Eighteen,” I replied, going into the adjoining bathroom.

He followed. “Austin’s dad’s a lawyer, and he says eighteen-year-olds are adults and can do what they want. How come she has to come live here?”

“Michael,” I scolded.

“I’m just asking!” he defended.

“Look,” I said, turning to look him in the eye. He was almost as tall as me now, having had his growth spurt over the summer. “Cassie has nowhere else to go. I promise you will like her. She’s a nice girl when you get to know her. I want you to be nice to her because she’s had a rough life.”

“Fine,” he said, rolling his eyes.

“Michael Matthew, do not roll your eyes at me.”

“Sorry!”

“Mikey’s in trouble!” Christopher called from the doorway.

“Chris, get out of here!” Michael called.

“Make me!” Christopher taunted. Soon, Michael was chasing Christopher out the door.

“Boys! Stop that!” I yelled, following them out into the hallway.

Noah’s voice shouted from the foyer. “She’s here!”

I quickly rushed down the stairs, straightening out my dress. Cassie’s old Buick was parked in the street, and she was rummaging for her luggage in the back. The boys were standing around staring at her until I prompted them to help her with her bags. They quickly rushed out the door, Christopher the most eager of all. I knew they’d find her pretty. She had beautiful dark hair and green eyes. I only really worried about Michael. He was the closest in age to her, and they weren’t related. Also, Warren told me of her hobbies which were less than appropriate. I hoped she would understand the rules around here.

Soon enough, all the boys were waddling into the house with a bag in their hands. Warren walked in from the back porch, wiping his hands on a towel. “Ribs are almost ready,” he said, glancing at Cassie who was gingerly closing the front door.

She looked up and instantly frowned at Warren. “Boys, why don’t you show Cassie to her room?” I suggested. Michael picked up the tension, too, and immediately began climbing the stairs. Cassie followed silently. I turned to Warren. “Would you please try to pretend to be fatherly?”

“You don’t understand,” he replied. He glanced at the porch. “Dinner will be ready in five minutes. It’s John’s turn to set the table.” He walked out back onto the porch. I watched as he angrily fiddled with the grill. Echoes of the boys’ conversation with Cassie came from upstairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh, Warren's a dick. Things are going to be awkward in the Breslin-Hayes household(:
Comment, rec, or subscribe, please?