Sequel: Anchor
Status: Complete! Check out, Anchor. It's the sequel to this story.

Love Gone Mad

FOURTEEN

“I don’t know about you,” Deveny spoke up, while waving her quill in the air, “But I think that the Slytherin Quidditch team needs to pick up the pace.”

The three girls, Adara, Deveny, and Rachelle sat alone in the Great Hall. Normally the hall was charming and full of life, now that they were the only ones there; Adara took it into consideration how eerie the room was.

“I know, the team is really slacking this year,” Adara agreed as she looked up from her scroll of parchment. She had been working on her Charms assignment for that seemed like an eternity.

“I’m bloody demanding a win next game or someone is going to get it,” Deveny growled as she slammed her fist on the long wooden table, causing Rachelle and Adara to jump.

“For Merlin’s sake,” Rachelle gasped at her friend’s outburst. “There’s no need to be so violent.”

Deveny rolled her eyes, “It’s necessary.”

Adara chuckled at her passionate friend, “You know what isn’t necessary?”

“Hmm?” Rachelle questioned, not taking her eyes off her Potions book.

“This Charms assignment,” Adara answered, ruffling her hair with her hands.

“You got that right,” Deveny sneered. “But you know, N.E.W.T.S.” Deveny pretended that she was gagging at the name. Rachelle and Adara roared with laughter at their friend’s little stunt.

"Who is even smart enough to understand half the work our professors are giving us!?" Adara expressed and rested her head on the table, she was exhausted.

Adara heard Rachelle and Deveny shift in their seats and the sound of footsteps grew closer. Adara didn't have to look up to know how it was; she had the same feeling every time this person drew near to her. Butterflies. It was George.

"Sleeping in the middle of homework?" George questioned, "I like the way you think."

Adara felt George sit beside her and she lifted her head from the table. For a moment, Adara didn't know what to say. There he was, George Weasley, sitting with her and her friend's like this sort of thing happened often.

"Hi, I'm George Weasley," he spoke, extending a hand toward Rachelle and then Deveny.

Both girls politely introduced themselves, but were a bit stunned at George's carefree nature.

"So, what do we have here?" George asked as he perused through the scattered piles of homework. "Oh yes, you have N.E.W.T.S. this year."

The three girls watched George suspiciously. Deveny shot a wink at Adara while George wasn't looking. Adara replied with a smirk and shook her head.

"It's all rubbish," George expressed, setting a piece of parchment down.

Adara let out a laugh and leaned over to George whispering in his ear, if she wasn't mistaken, she thought she saw him blush at her closeness to him. "What are you doing?"

"You said we should take it slow," George mumbled back, "I am just following orders," he continued, giving Adara a wink and turning his attention back to the rest of the group.

"So, George," Rachelle said smoothly, "I hear your Adara's secret lov-- friend."

Adara shot a glare at Rachelle. George didn't acknowledge Rachelle's slip up, although, he noticed it.

"That I am," George beamed, "I do believe it was a letter to you that I stole," George continued.

"It was," Rachelle expressed; Adara noticed she looked a little tense. "So, I will take the credit."

"Credit for what?" George and Adara said in unison, they both glanced at each other and laughed.

Adara loved that George was here, talking to her friends. She loved that he didn't care what people would say or think. He was his own.

"Oh, I think you know," Deveny mumbled, smirking at the George and Adara. Adara sensed a wave of awkwardness sweep over the group.

"I must admit," Rachelle spoke up, while scratching a few notes down on her scroll of parchment, "This is a bit odd to me."

George gave Rachelle a questioning look and she continued, "Just talking to a Gryffindor."

George nodded, "Yeah, normally we don't get along, but I believe things are going to change soon." He looked down at Adara and gave her a warm smile.

Adara stared up into his golden brown eyes and her heart fluttered. It was the way George looked at her that set her heart ablaze. Adara had never seen George look at her the way he did just now. She'd had heard stories about how when you looked into the eyes of someone you had feelings for; time would stop. Adara always thought it was just an exaggeration, but now, in this moment, time froze. Adara was uncertain of how long they were caught up in one another's gaze. Honestly, she didn't care. Adara Malfoy was falling for George Weasley.

Image


"What's happening?" Harry Potter asked from behind, standing on his tip toes, trying to catch a glance of George.

They are just talking," Fred reported, in a low voice.

"No snogging?" Ron chimed in. Hermione slugged him in the arm and Ron winced in pain.

"Ronald, you're hopeless," Hermione breathed, shooting at glare at him. Ron just replied with a shrug.

"Blimey," Fred whispered as he glanced into the Great Hall once more, trying to sneak another peek at George.

"What?" Harry, Ron, and Hermione spoke in unison. Curiosity filled their minds.

"They're just...staring at each other," Fred replied, looking back over at the three.

Hermione let out a gasp and Ron and Harry looked puzzled.

"So, that may mean--," Hermione mumbled. "She likes him too," Fred finished her sentence. A smile appeared on his face.

"What has George gotten himself into?" Harry chuckled; Ron gave him a nod and placed his hands in his pockets.

Image


"Um, well," George said, breaking his gaze from Adara, "I have Quidditch practice to go to."

"Oh yes, right," Adara quickly replied, she felt her face flush red.

"It was nice meeting you two," George expressed as he rose from the table.

"You too," Rachelle replied.

"I guess we will be seeing more of you soon," Deveny spoke up, smirking at George.

George nodded slightly at Deveny and turned toward Adara, "It was nice seeing you again, Adara."

"It was good to see you again too, George," Adara breathed, she hadn't realized how nervous she was until he spoke her name. He stared at her a moment more and turned around, headed to the exist.

"Wow," Rachelle giggled. "I thought maybe, just maybe that he liked you, but now," Rachelle let out a sigh and placing her elbows on the edge of the table, letting her hands rest under her chin, "I know."

"Know what?" Adara spoke, a little too quickly for her liking.

"He adores you!" Deveny beamed. "Adara, he's smitten."

Adara's eyes grew wide and she was thankful that she was sitting down because her knees might have given out. Granted, it's a bit dramatic, but hey, she liked this boy.

"He couldn't possibly be," Adara affirmed, averting her gaze to the doors George just strode out of.

"Oh! Give it up, Adara," Rachelle giggled, "We know you like him too."

Deveny smirked and nodded in agreement. Adara closed her eyes and exhaled.

"You're right, I do like George," Adara confided, letting the reality of the statement set in.

"State the obvious," Deveny mumbled, as she rolled her hazel eyes.

"Let's go back to the dormitory," Rachelle said: "I am going numb from sitting here."

The other two girls nodded in agreement, gathered their homework, and scurried out of the Great Hall.

"Well, I'm done for the night," Deveny mumbled as she sluggishly walked over to her bed. "Good night!"

"Good night," Adara and Rachelle replied.

"I think I will follow her lead," Rachelle whispered. "Are you going to bed?"

Adara grabbed a pair of pajams from her wardrobe, "No, I am going to try to finish my last bit of homework, see you in the morning." Adara said as she walked out of the dormitory and closed the door softly behind her. After changing, Adara snuggled into the couch in the common room and scanned over her last bit of work to be done. The fire crackled beside her and a few Slytherin students walked in the room, chatting about the next Quidditch game, a few of them greeted Adara, but she was too occupied to notice. Adara let out a yawn and stretched her stiff legs; she glanced out the window and saw that it was dark outside. She hasn't realized how long she had been down here.

Suddenly, Adara heard a faint knock on the outside of the common room door. She believed it to be her tired mind playing tricks on her so she pushed the thought aside, but then she heard the noise again. She slink-ed down onto the couch, wondering what could be out there. If it was a Slytherin student they would have come in by now due to knowing the password. Adara lifted her head and just let the rim of her eyes peer over the side of the black leather couch. Her eyes found a small piece of parchment lying on the floor beside the common room door. Adara sat up and eyed the note. Out of curiosity, she tip toed over to the doorway and quickly snatched up the parchment. It read:

Dine with me? --George


Adara let a faint giggle escape her lips and she brought her hand up to her mouth. "How did he know I was down here?"

Adara pondered whether or not she should go. It was late. She needed to go to bed. However, she wanted to see him. But she was in her pajamas. Obviously, George knew she was down here and was expecting her. She had no time to go change. With haste, Adara fixed her hair and make-up with her fingers as she looked into a mirror placed above the fireplace.

"Good enough," Adara mumbled as she stared at her reflection.

Beside her tired eyes, Adara looked beautiful. Her long, wavy black hair was pushed to the side over her right shoulder and her blue eyes sparkled behind a touch of black mascara she added to her long lashes. She hurried over to the door and pulled it open.

"Hello there," George quietly greeted her.

Light from the common room flooded into darkness of the school, it revealed George's profile in front of her, but it disappeared as Adara closed the door behind her.

"Hi," Adara whispered back. Her eyes began to adjust to the darkness and she could see the outline of George. She noticed how handsome he looked, even in this situation.

"Follow me," George uttered and he took Adara's hand, leading her down the corridor to an unknown location. Adara's pulse quickened as the warmth of his hand met hers.

"You're taking me to the Hufflepuff dormitory?" Adara questioned as she recognized her surroundings.

"Tempting," George teased. Adara let out a quiet laugh, "But no."

The two approached a portrait of various fruits.

"When you said, 'Dine with me,' I assumed you meant eating actual food," Adara mumbled. George gave her a questioning glace.

"Not looking at paintings of food," Adara continued.

George laughed loudly and quickly covered his mouth letting out a muffled chuckle.

"This, my dear, is the entrance to the Hogwarts kitchen," George spoke charmingly.

Adara's eyes widened. She had heard stories of the kitchen from Crabbe and Goyle, but had never been there herself, for very few knew where it was located.

"Tickle the pear," George spoke, breaking the silence.

"You want me to do what?" Adara questioned, half hearing what he said, and a confused looked plastered on her face. George smirked at her.

"The pear in the painting," George pointed out, "Tickle it."

"Okay?" Adara obeyed, she looked up at the painting and then back at George.

"He's playing games with me," Adara thought to herself as she reached her hand up and tickled the pear's sides. She watched the pear squirm with delight right before her eyes. She turned back around to George, who was standing rather close to her; Adara's eyes were wide with amusement.

George glanced down and winked at her, "Told you so."

The pear in the portrait suddenly transformed into a doorknob and George nudged Adara to open it. Once she did, they were greeted with a rather peculiar sight. Dozens of house-elves scurried around an enormous kitchen. Inside were four long tables that were identical to the ones sitting in the Great Hall. Adara stepped inside and George followed.

"This is something," Adara said, taking the scene around her, she looked over at George who nodded in agreement.

"Ah, Master Weasley," a sickly pale house-elf with ears too big for his own head spoke as he hurried over to greet the visitors.

"Hello friend," George chimed as he patted the creature on the head.

Adara was surprised to see someone treat this lowly creature with any ounce of respect. She grew up learning to never grace these things with a word of praise; they were to be treated as they should be. Like scum.

"And who is this?" the house-elf asked glancing up at Adara. Adara narrowed her eyes at the creature, ready to abuse it for even speaking to her.

"Quimby, this is Adara Malfoy," George replied and watched the house-elf begin to tremble as he recognized her name.

Quimby bowed to Adara, "I am honored, Mistress Malfoy. If there is anything Quimby can get you, I would be delighted to serve."

Adara stared at the ugly creature, slightly tilting her head up. George waited for her response.

“Thank you,” Adara choked. The creature smile awkwardly at her.

“So, what would you like to eat?” George spoke, clasping his hands together.

She hadn't realized how much work these creatures did to prepare the student's meals every day. Some elves were working on the next morning's breakfast and some were cleaning dishes in the row of sinks that lined the back end of the room.

"Dessert sounds good," Adara answered. Her stomach grumbled. She had missed dinner thanks to homework.

"Right away, Miss Malfoy," Quimby chirped and scurried off deep into the kitchen.

Adara hopped up on a vacant counter behind her and swung her legs back and forth.

"Impressed?" George charmingly asked as he leaned up against the counter Adara was sitting on.

"Surprisingly, yes," Adara teased as she looked down at George.

"You're surprised?" George repeated, "I'm crushed," he continued as he placed a hand upon his chest as if he were just shot in the heart.

"Oh! You will get over it, Weasley," Adara said confidently, giving George a wink.

"Do a sense a bit of pride in your words, Malfoy?" George asked, raising an eyebrow at Adara.

Adara stuck her tongue out at George and he responded with a laugh.

"Here you are, Miss Malfoy," Quimby said as he handed her a slice of chocolate cake.

Adara took the plate from the creature's hand and placed a bite of the velvety cake in her mouth. It was delicious.

"May I get anything for you, Master Weasley?" Quimby asked.

"Yes, I'll have the same." George responded and Quimby scurried off once more.

The two finished their cake and talked about school, their friends and Quidditch for the next few hours. Adara enjoyed George's company and George enjoyed Adara's.

"So, tell me," George spoke, moving closer to Adara. She noticed the faint freckles that danced across his face. Adorable. "What's it like living with Draco?"

Adara let out a faint laugh, "He's my best friend and I love my cousin."

George Weasley's eyes widened, "Someone could actually love that bloke?"

"Yes, someone can," Adara sneered, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Sorry, I don't mean to make fun. You must consider the fact that your cousin treats my family like rubbish," George reminded, scrapping the last bit of cake off his plate.

"I know," Adara said, she began to calm down, "He means everything to me, we've been through a lot together."

Adara looked down at her hands and felt a wave of sorrow wash over her. She hadn't seen Draco for days. The last time she did was during their short walk through the Hogwarts corridors, but it was interrupted by the news of Katie Bell being cursed.

"Adara," George uttered, he placed a hand upon her knee, and he was inches from her face. "I'm sorry; I didn't mean to upset you."

Adara looked up at George; she could feel the warmth of his breath. "No, you don't have to apologize. It's Draco's fault for coming across the way he does, but he's not really like that." Adara swallowed, "And I know that I'm not the way I come across."

"You don't have to justify anything," George said sincerely, giving Adara another warm smile. Adara wanted nothing more than to wrap her arms around George and kiss him, but she didn't. He was so kind to her, and she deserved none of it.

"Thank you, George, for all of this," Adara expressed, referring to their midnight outing.

"It was my pleasure," George said as he held out his hand for Adara to take as she slide off the counter.

Adara glanced up at George and he slowly let go of her hand, not once did their gaze break. Her pulse began to quicken. For a moment, Adara thought that George was going to kiss her.

He didn't. He just gazed at her; a soft expression graced his face.

Part of Adara wished he did kiss her yet she was somewhat thankful that George had some respect and didn't let his feelings, if he had them for her, get the best of him. A first kiss is meant to be special. And here in the Hogwarts kitchen would not make it that.

Memorable but not romantic.

This made Adara adore George even more.

He was being a gentleman.
♠ ♠ ♠
You like?

Comment & subscribe.