Sequel: Anchor
Status: Complete! Check out, Anchor. It's the sequel to this story.

Love Gone Mad

EIGHTEEN

Adara caressed the side of George’s face with her hand, studying his face, and soaking in the words he’d spoken.

She never wanted to forget this moment. How he looked. The way she felt. Everything. George didn’t speak a word. He only watched, admired, and waited. She slowly removed her hand from George’s cheek and entwined her hands in his. Slowly looking back up into George’s soft eyes, everything fell into place.

He was there during the darkest time of her life. He was just joy she needed and know she knew. He was it. She was his. He was hers.

“George,” Adara whispered, she felt his thumb stroking the side of her hand, his loving gaze not breaking hers. “I don’t deserve someone like you.”

George slowly shook his head in disagreement, a grin tugged at the left corner of his mouth.

“Let me finish,” Adara expressed. George watched her carefully. “You treat me with the highest respect and after all I’ve done to you and your family,” Adara paused and peered down at the ground. “You shouldn’t..”

Adara’s sentence was cut off by the startle of George gently cupping her face in his hands, pulling her into a tender kiss.

A kiss of pure innocence not of lust or selfish desire.

A kiss that spoke what words couldn’t.

George slowly pulled his lips from Adara’s, the tips of their noses still touched, and George’s hands continued to rest of the sides of Adara’s face. Adara closed her eyes and faintly smiled, her lips tingled from his kiss.

“Don‘t talk like that,” George whispered, scanning Adara’s crystal blue eyes as they fluttered open. “Neither of us deserves one another, but this happened.”

George exhaled and the warmth of his breath met Adara’s skin, giving her goose bumps. “I’m willing to fight for you,” George said in a determined yet soothing tone, “Because you’re worth it.”

Image


The Gryffindor common room. By no means, did Adara ever believe she would be standing within its quarters.

The lounge was dressed in rich, warm tones of red and gold. Its floor was blanketed by a lavish, antique rug and overspread throughout the room was matching, crimson arm chairs and sofas. In Adara’s opinion, the dwelling place as not as extravagant as the Slytherin dungeon yet it had a captivating charm.

George seated himself in one of the plush arm chairs that were arranged in a circle on the left side of the room. Adara’s frame leaned against the doorway, taking in her surroundings. George stared at Adara from where he sat, half unbelieving that she was here and half of him wanted to explode with joy.

“What do you think?” George questioned, smiling at Adara who gracefully walked towards him.

“It’s really beautiful,” Adara expressed, slowly sitting down in the chair next to George. She let out a low sigh, leaning her head against the back of the chair, and closed her eyes. “What if they don’t like me?”

George let out a loud laugh and Adara’s eyes shot open, she glared at him. “What was that for?”

“Adara, may I remind you?” George playfully smirked, “They didn’t like you to begin with.” He winked at Adara and folded his arms across his chest.

Adara’s jaw dropped, she slugged George in the arm, and laughed. “You’re so rude, Weasley.”

George’s eyes twinkled as he stared at Adara, ignoring her comment, “They will love you.”

A half smile broke on Adara’s face, “I hope.”

Nonetheless, Adara knew it was impractical. Useless. Hopeless.

A stampede of foot steps were heard coming from the stairwell, Adara shifted in her seat and growing more anxious by the second. George sensed Adara’s uneasiness and reached over stroking her hand with hope of comforting her. Several familiar faces entered the room and took their seats in the circle of chairs with Adara and George. The awkwardness that flooded the room was heavy, Adara could feel it press against her; taunting her.

“I shouldn’t have come,” Adara uttered to George, rising from her seat, and hurried to the exit.

She was humiliated for thinking that maybe she had a chance of coming to good terms with George’s friends and family.

“Adara,” George called as he rushed to her side, “Please stay.”

“Why?” Adara hissed, “They look at me like I’m some sort of abomination.”

Adara saw George’s jaw clench and he looked over at his friends, who sat in silence.

“I must go,” Adara muttered, turning back around.

“Are you leaving?” a soft voice spoke behind her, Adara stopped in her tracks and turned around. Her eyes met the petite frame of a brunette whose eyes were filled with concern and warmth. “Please stay,” she continued.

Adara recognized the girl in front of her, how could she not? She was Hermione Granger. The mud-blood.

“Hi. I’m Hermione Granger,” she smiled kindly, stretching out her hand for Adara to shake.

Adara swallowed and returned the jester, “I’m Adara Malfoy.” George grinned beside Adara, enjoying the sight in front of him. Progress.

“Now, let’s go meet the others,” George announced, standing behind Adara and resting his hands on her shoulders. He felt Adara tense up and he gently pushed her forward, kissing the top of her head.

Adara introduced herself to the others: Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley, Ronald Weasley, and Fred Weasley, who played along, pretending he’d never met Adara before.

She was surprised by the kindness the group showed her, not once was an incident of hostility or enmity present.
 
“I don’t think exploding pants is a well thought out idea,” Adara giggled as she listened to Fred and George’s new joke product ideas. The group erupted in laughter.

“And why not?” George teased, looking down at Adara who said cross-legged in front of the fireplace next to Hermione.

“Think about it,” Adara responded, raising an eyebrow at the stubborn twins.

She heard a few faint chuckles across the room.

“Adara has a point,” Harry Potter added in, he was to the left of Adara, playing a third round of Wizard Chess against Ron.

Hermione let out a gasp beside Adara and all eyes fell in her direction. Hermione was holding a copy of The Daily Prophet in front of her face, her eyes frantically scanning its pages.

“What is it?” Ginny Weasley questioned, shifting in her seat on the sofa; her long red hair glimmered in the low light.

“The ministry,” Hermione murmured. Adara felt George sit beside her, slinking his hand into hers. “The ministry is taking over Hogwarts.”

“What?” Harry blurted out, walking over to Hermione. “What does it mean?”

Hermione set the newspaper in her lap and began to read out loud:

 
MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM

"In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"'The Minister has been growing uneasy about goings-on at Hogwarts for some time,' said Junior Assistant to the Minister Percy Weasley. He is now responding to concerns voiced by anxious parents, who feel the school may be moving in a direction they do not approve.'

"This is not the first time in recent weeks Fudge has used new laws to affect improvements at the wizarding school. As recently as 30 August Educational Decree Twenty-two was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.

"'That's how Dolores Umbridge came to be appointed to the teaching staff at Hogwarts. She will be the new Defense against the Dark arts teacher and is expected to teach the students the basics of Dark arts in a safe and practical way, ' said Weasley last night.’


"Percy," Fred and George growled, looking at one another, as if just looking at each other sealed a plot against their foolish older brother.

"They can't be serious?" Ron Weasley spoke up, taking a seat next to his sister, Ginny, on the couch.

"Snape is the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher," Adara added in, "They can't get rid of him so quickly."

"They can," Hermione attested, looking around the room at her wide-eyed friends. "It's the ministry."

"Dolores Umbridge," Harry muttered under his breath as he paced the carpeted floor beneath him; pondering the name.

"What, Harry?" Hermione questioned, her accent coming out thick.

"She was at my hearing."

Hermione nodded at Harry and Adara watched the group in silence.

"Well," Ginny spoke as she stood, "There is nothing we can do about this. Let's go to dinner."

The group grunted in agreement, stood to their feet, walking to the exit.

"Adara," Harry Potter spoke turning around to face her, "Would you like to join us at dinner?"

Adara felt all the Gryffindors' eyes upon her; each one was smiling in agreement. A similar scent wafted by her as George Weasley slinked his arm around Adara's slender waist.

"What do you say, Malfoy?" George flirted, staring down at Adara with that look in his eyes again. How could she refuse?

"Sure," she politely answered, caught up in George's gaze. Adara turned her head back towards the group; all were beaming from ear to ear.