Sequel: Anchor
Status: Complete! Check out, Anchor. It's the sequel to this story.

Love Gone Mad

TWO

9:01 AM. Adara's alarm clock flashed repeatedly as its shrill pierced through the once tranquil surrounding. Without much coordination, an arm shot out from underneath the violet colored bedding, trying to silence the alarm. Adara rose from her bed, silently cursing the morning under her breath, then shuffled into her bathroom and locked the door. Adara laughed at the sight of herself as she peered into the bathroom mirror. Her ebony hair had obtained volume and width she thought impossible until now and her pajamas were twisted and in a bunch all around her slender body. Adara began to play with her unkempt hair and decided a shower was vital. She twisted the handle of the shower allowing a lukewarm rain to fall upon the floor. She stepped inside the steamy, glass walled box; pulling the door closed behind her. Goosebumps appeared on her body, as the warm water collided with her skin. The fragrance of vanilla filled the small room as she lathered her hair with shampoo.

Adara stepped out of the shower to be greeted with a most amusing sight. The words, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" were sketched across the foggy bathroom mirror. She laughed to herself; already knowing who the culprit was and quickly muttered a spell that dried her damp hair and clothed her instantly. Leaving her bathroom, Adara tip-toed across the hardwood floor in the hallway. She glanced over her shoulder making sure the coast was clear before she reached her destination. Slowly grasping the cold brass door handle, Adara shrieked and quickly turned around, playfully punching her beloved cousin in the gut.

"You're terrible," Adara joked as she watched her cousin clench his stomach. "You ruined my fun of trying to scare you," she continued and followed her arms across her chest.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake, Adara," Draco chuckled as he forced his cousin to hug him. "Happy 17th birthday!" He sang as he began to tickle Adara's sides. She laughed and squirmed in Draco's arms.

"Draco, stop" she gasped, trying to escape.

Adara felt her cousin loosening his grip and she quickly ceased the opportunity to escape. She stood there a moment, trying to catch her breath. Draco looked pleased. Adara began to smile as she looked at the sparkling blue eyes of her cousin. She loved this boy.

Draco knew not to mention the death of Adara's parents because it would only bring his cousin heart ache. Likewise, Adara never mentioned the tragic event on her birthday either. She knew her parents' death was of the past and they would want her to move on. "Your birthday is a day for celebration not mourning," her uncle Lucius would always remind her.

"Where are Narcissa and Lucius?" Adara asked as she followed Draco down the stairs and into the dining room.

"Diagon Valley, you know how they like to procrastinate," Draco responded, referring to Adara's birthday gifts.

He brushed his platinum blond hair to the side and took a seat at the glass dining room table. After getting comfortable, Draco ordered one of the house elves into the room.

"I should have known," Adara laughed as she pulled out a chair, seating herself across from her cousin.

Her toes curled as the met the ice-cold tile floor beneath her. Adara watched two house elves scurry into the room with two steaming plates of breakfast. Draco eyed his meal hungrily and shooed the house elf away.

"Happy Birthday, Miss Malfoy," one of the two house elves chirped while handing her a plate of delicious food. Adara sneered at the disgusting creature, not acknowledging its comment.

Draco and Adara's heads turned toward the faint sound of a pop which came of the next room. Adara smiled, knowing who arrived, and excused herself from the table. She skipped into the next room, ready to be showered with hugs and birthday wishes from her adoring aunt and uncle.

"There she is," Lucius said as he beamed with delight at the sight of his niece. He wrapped her into a warm embrace wishing her a happy birthday, then kissing her on top of the head.

Narcissa finished setting down the many shopping bags, which she noticed Adara eying from behind her uncle.

"Come here, my dear," Narcissa beckoned as she welcomed Adara into her arms, also wishing her a happy birthday.

“We've got quite a surprise for you,” Lucius expressed as he lifted a long white box from one of the bags. Adara's eyes immediately lite up so she stared at the package.

“Draco, come in here,” Narcissa called as she walked Adara sit on the floor with her present on her lap.

Adara pulled the lid off the box and gasped as she pulled the crimson read gown from the box.

“My, my,” Draco smirked as she watched his cousin hold the dress up to her body.

“I hope it fits,” Narcissa beamed as Lucius nodded in agreement and wrapped his arm around his wife's waist.

“We thought you'd like something special to wear to the ball this year at Hogwarts,” Lucius added.

“It's gorgeous!” Adara twirled, “Thank you so much!”

“Now I hate to spoil the fun, but we do need to leave, mother,” Draco spoke up and looked towards his parents.

“Right,” Narcissa clasped her hands together, “We need to get your textbooks for this year.”

“Darling, can't they wait? It's Adara's birthday,” Lucius asked as he watched Adara placed her gift back in it's box.

“Oh, I don't mind,” Adara chimed in, holding the white box at her side. “I'll just go set this up in my room.”

“Alright, dear,” Narcissa smiled.

Adara ran up the stairs, down the hall, and into her bed room. She delicately set her dress upon her bed, smiling brightly. She couldn't wait to wear it. As she picked up her shoes and left she room, Adara failed to notice the brown owl perched on her window sill, holding a roll of parchment with its claw. The bird carelessly dropped the note onto the floor and flew back out the window.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading! I really hope you're enjoying the story so far. Check back tomorrow for chapter three!!

If you haven't already, please subscribe and comment! I'd love to hear all your feedback.