Sequel: Anchor
Status: Complete! Check out, Anchor. It's the sequel to this story.

Love Gone Mad

THIRTY-SEVEN

May 2, 1998.
The day it all ended. The war came to a close.
We won; proving love conquers all.
The scars received from the Second Wizarding War won’t be easily removed, or even erased at all.
The death toll was far too high.


Adara Malfoy stood in the same guest bedroom she occupied every time she'd stay at the Weasley's. She bent over and slid the strap of her black heels upon her ankle. Standing up straight once again, she used her fingers as a comb and pushed her hair out of her face.

She'd attended more funerals than a person should in the course of two weeks; all of which were dreadfully heart breaking. But the one she would be attending today would be unlike the others. Far too unlike.

Adara shuddered and rubbed her temples. Her blood-shot eyes somehow produced more tears, which she didn't attempt to keep from collapsing down her cheeks.

A wail of agony was heard from inside the bathroom to her left, where George had been showering. Adara clenched her stomach and cried harder. She couldn't breathe. The past two weeks had been unbearable.

I remember you like yesterday, yesterday...

I still can't believe you're gone.


Forcing herself to move, Adara stepped toward the bathroom door. She twisted the bronzed handle and it slowly opened. The sound of uncontrollable yet muffled sobbing grew and Adara's eyes met the back of George, who was bent over the bathroom sink. Shoulders shaking. Crying; that's all everyone did. That's all we could do.

“Darling,” Adara beckoned, as she rubbed George’s bare back. “I’m here.”

George looked up at Adara, who seemed to suffocate at the sight of seeing the look of desolation upon his face.

“I can’t do this, Adara,” George groaned, he collided into her arms and stained the sleeve of her black dress with his tears.

Adrift on your ocean floor
I feel weightless, numb, and sore. A part of you in me is torn
And you're free


Gently, Adara stroked the back of George’s damp hair. This was becoming excruciating. She hated knowing any word of comfort and understanding that was spoken from her lips would be incapable of mending George.

“I’ll be with you the entire time, George,” Adara cooed, her voice breaking halfway through her sentence.

George’s drained eyes met hers once more. No longer were they full of life. No longer did they hold their usual charming gleam. Adara hadn’t heard George laugh in weeks, he’d smile once or twice, but it was always forced.

Your life dreams are shattered, now you're gone away.
We've cried here for hours,
And the hours turn to days.


"What am I doing to do, Adara?" George ran his hands through his messy hair and slouched to the ground. "Fred's gone. He's gone."

Adara knelt down in front of George, wanting nothing more than to take this pain from him. Only wanting to have her George back. "It's unfair that Fred was robbed from us; from you."

George's jaw quivered as he listened to Adara speak. She grabbed his hands and her blurred vision met his own. "Each day will get easier, I promise; today is going to be the hardest."

George leaned forward and delicately kissed Adara, he placed his hands on her hips; pulling her closer to him. Adara wrapped her arms around his neck and returned the gesture.

"Thank you for everything," George whispered and continued to kiss her tenderly.

Adara slowly pulled away and stroked away a tear that glided down George's cheek with her thumb.

"You'll make it through, my dear." Adara whispered into George's bad ear.

George rested his head on Adara's shoulder and his breathing became steady. "I'd be lost without you."

Adara wrapped her arms around George's waist and rested her head on his. "It's time to get up, George.”

“One more kiss,” George breathed as he cupped Adara's face and captured her lips with his.

Adara deepened the kiss and ran her fingers through his hair. George slowly kissed down Adara's neck and stopped at her collarbone.

Adara felt George's shoulders being to shake again and she knew he'd started crying.

“George,” Adara gently spoke, holding him tightly.

“Promise me something,” George's voice croaked.

“Anything,” Adara searched George's eyes as he lifted his head up.

“Don't leave my side today,” he lifted a trembling hand caressed the side of Adara's arm.
“I won't leave you for a second, my dear,” Adara breathed and began to cry with George.

“Come on,” George spoke, breaking the silence and slowly standing.

Adara stood up too and grasped George's hand. She guided him back into her bedroom and sat on the edge of thebed; watching George grab a change of clothes from his trunk.

After finding his attire for the evening, George silently walked back into the bathroom and shut the door behind him.

Adara let out a sigh and stepped down from the bed. She glided towards the mirror that was placed above the dresser that rested against the wall opposite of her and leisurely began to touch up the makeup on her eyes that had been smudged by tears.

I need some help to carry on.

I need some strength to keep me strong.


Adara's gaze met George's reflection in the mirror as she watched him exit the bathroom, buttoning his black shirt.

"Let me help you," Adara spoke as she strode over to George, beginning to fix his disheveled shirt and black tie.

George watched her the entire time, not once breaking his stare.

Adara flattened George's tie across his chest and admired her work, "Perfect," she glanced up at him with a faint smile on her lips.

"We need to be heading downstairs," Adara expressed, watching George's face drain. She slipped her hand into his and clenched it tight. The two strode down the hallway; an eerie silence encompassed their walk through the home.

Soon they reached the kitchen to find Ginny Weasley, who was in the arms of Harry Potter, and Rachelle Everwood, who was seated at the dining table. She was twisting a ring around her finger and silently crying. She and Fred Weasley were to be married in the fall. Adara's heart sank.

William and Fleur Weasley stood in the back corner of the kitchen. Fleur was whispering unheard words of comfort into her husband's ear as Bill held her hand. Percy was leaning against a kitchen counter, his face expressionless; deep in thought.

Arthur Weasley soon appeared in the doorway with his bride at his side. Adara noticed Molly's red and swollen eyes; her tears had never ceased. Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger followed behind, both were silent.

"It's time," Arthur announced; his voice croaked. The air in the room grew thick while tears began to fall once more.

When I hear your name, it's not the same.

No matter what they say, I'm not okay.


A gray sky was painted over the scene that reeled by Adara's eyes. Ominous clouds were threatening to rain and the wind that blew by offered no console to the group as it danced past.

Hundreds of witches and wizards were attending Fred Weasley's burial, each wanting to pay respect to the man who fought so bravely and loved unconditionally.

Adara stood in the middle of George and Rachelle, both clenched her hands; all three were crying. Adara couldn't hear the words that were being spoken about Fred because of her attention that was fixed on George.

She watched him stand, frozen to the ground; body shaking. The reality that George would have to live without the one who had been by his side since birth crashed against her. She knew what it was like to have those you love most ripped away from you. She was familiar with the agony and the pleading prayers; prayers that one knew would never bring their loved ones back, but it was always worth a fighting chance.

The ache I feel inside

Is where the life has left your eyes. I'm alone for our last goodbye.

But you're free...


Hot tears didn't cease to fall as everyone watched the casket lower six feet under. George let go of Adara's hand and he knelt to the ground; his head in his hands. The dark clouds above released a pouring rain, though, no one cared. Or, paid any mind to the down pour.

I still can't believe you're gone.
So long my friend, so long.
♠ ♠ ♠
SONG CREDIT:
Yesterday by Switchfoot
Zero by Hawk Nelson
I Still Miss You by Hawk Nelson