Sequel: Anchor
Status: Complete! Check out, Anchor. It's the sequel to this story.

Love Gone Mad

FOURTY-FOUR

One day until the wedding...


The feeling you get when the knowledge that tomorrow will be the day you marry the love of your life is indescribable. Adara's alarm clock that morning was traded in for a swarm of butterflies that beat against her rib cage. Groggily, she made her way to the bathroom and faced herself in the mirror. Tomorrow it all began, a new adventure as Mrs. George Weasley.

Adara flipped the handle of the sink, allowing a constant stream of cold water to hit porcelain. She filled her hands with a cup of the liquid and splashed it against her face. A wave of chills rushed over her before she patted her face dry.

After getting dressed, Adara escorted herself to the parlor where she found Draco, reading today's article of The Daily Prophet.

"Hello cousin," Adara greeted Draco as she walked up behind him, her knees bumped against the couch. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek.

"Good morning," Draco replied while glancing over at Adara, who hurried to his side on the sofa. "Are you nervous about today?"

"Am I nervous that I will be seeing family that hasn't been around for eleven years? Not at all," Adara spoke with confidence, but her eyes revealed her hidden nerves.

"How do you pick up the pieces where everything fell apart?" she continued, her voice in a whisper. Adara bit her bottom lip while her eyes met Draco's.

"You're not the only one who lost everything that day," Draco's words came out colder then intended. "Naomi lost a sister."

"And I lost my mother. Now I have to see the woman who is a spinning image of her," Adara groaned.

The memory of her parents, especially her mother had been burdening Adara's heart since the day George asked for her hand in marriage. Planning a wedding without her mother was harder than Adara ever imagined. She dreamed of telling her parents about George and how happy he made her. She wished her father, Nathaniel, and George could meet. She longed for their approval, their words of advice, and knowing she would never receive it had become a nightmare.

"Maybe this is the remedy the two of you need," Draco suggested, "The last time you spoke was at the funeral."

Before Adara could speak, the sound of a pop reached her eyes. Draco and Adara held their gaze on one another before slowing rising out of their seats.

Adara followed behind Draco, wondering what would happen when she saw the women who resembled so much of her mother. Her aunt Naomi Ryans

"Why did George have to choose this morning to be the time he spent with his family?" Adara whined.

Draco locked his arm within hers and leaned close, "Maybe you've forgotten, but there was once a time when I was the one you needed by your side."

“Draco, not now,” Adara stuck her tongue out at her cousin, who smirked.

“You know I am only teasing,” Draco replied. The sound of mixed voices met Adara’s ears and she glanced over at Draco.

Draco used his free hand to open the door and Adara clenched his arm tighter.

She looks so much like my mother.

“Here comes the bride!” A playful voice bellowed from across the room causing Adara to smile. Her eyes met the curvaceous frame of her cousin, Vivian. The two women met in a tight hug and soon parted.

“Serena, come look at how much little Adara has grown up,” Vivian called out.

“I can’t believe you are getting married,” Adara watched the slender frame of her cousin, Serena approach her.

“It seems like only yesterday we were running around chasing gnomes,” Serena spoke with a chuckle. The three girls laughed at the memory.

“And look who is all grown up, as well,” Vivian cooed, her eyes meeting Draco. His trademark smirk gifted his face.

“And I bet you’re still the same girl who loved to push me in the mud,” Draco teased as he embraced Vivian, who nodded.

“Thank you for coming,” Adara spoke to Serena and Vivian. Both ladies turned to look at her.

“Well, it isn’t every day that we get asked to be bridesmaids,” Vivian chimed in, her delicate voice running out smooth. She flipped her long, brunette hair over her shoulders and showed off her white smile.

"That's right," Serena added while looking over her shoulder, "Mother, where is our luggage?"
This was the first moment Naomi and Adara met eye contact. It was as if her own mother was looking back into her eyes once more. A dream that would never fully come true.

"It was sent to your rooms, darling," Naomi spoke, breaking away from her conversation with Narcissa Malfoy.

"Adara," she continued, "You've grown into a beautiful young woman."

"Thank you, aunt Naomi," Adara tried with every ounce of strength to keep her voice from quaking.

"And where is this handsome groom Narcissa has told us all about?" Naomi asked with a smile. A smile that shown just as bright as her sister's.

“You will get to meet George tonight at dinner,” Adara answered, a half-smile tugging her cheek. She wished she had George’s hand to hold.

“Draco,” Naricissa interrupted, “Would you show our guests to their rooms? I’m sure they’d like to clean up before dinner.”

“Yes,” Draco answered, “Follow me,” he beckoned to the three guests.

Adara watched their frames disappear through the doorway and she leaned up against the wall behind her, letting out a long sigh.

"What's the matter?" Narcissa questioned while perching her ruby red lips.

Adara swallowed hard, finally coming to the realization of what she needed to do. She wondered why she'd never thought of it before. One conversation would cure these nerves. Meeting with her past would mend. Mend the ache. Mend the dreams. The longing. The constant wishing.

"How long until dinner is served?" Adara finally spoke up, running her fingers through her hair.

"A few hours," Narcissa narrowed her eyes, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, Narcissa," Adara comforted. She stood up straight and met her aunt's gaze. "There is just something I need to do. If I am not back by dinner, don't wait up for me and tell George
not to worry."

Narcissa stared at her niece, uncertain of what to make of this moment.

"Darling, are you getting cold feet about the wedding?"

"No, no, no," Adara hastily reassured, "I want nothing more than to marry George." Narcissa let a sigh of relief and clasped her hands together.

"Do what you must, Adara," Narcissa spoke smoothly.

An appreciative smile warmed Adara's cheeks and she thought of the place she hadn't been to in many, many years.

Image


Allowing herself to refocus after apparating, Adara stared at the white, Victorian inspired home in front of her.

It had been eleven years since she'd been home. Really home. Where she grew up. Where her parents raised her. Tears threatened to fall from Adara's eyes. Her home was now occupied by another family. A family that was unaware of the memories the walls of their home withheld.

Adara let out a ragged breath and slowly walked down the gravel road, away from her home.

Everything was just as she remembered. The smell of the air, the rolling hills, and the leaves that matched the rhythm of the wind. Soon, she reached the worn, winding pathway that snaked its way up the hill side. Adara inhaled deeply and stepped onto the path it had taken her eleven years to face. Barely reaching the end of the dirt road, Adara eyes met the horizon of a rusty, iron fence.

Finally meeting her destination, she stared at the broken, black gate. Erosion of the land had sunk part of the gate into the earth. Then, Adara's eyes met the faces of stone. Tombstones. Her hands began to tremble as she forced her legs to step into the fenced in cemetery. Memories flooded back, memories of the funeral.

Adara looked up at the willow tree that made as a ceiling for the burial ground, blocking out the sun's full rays, only allowing few to enter. The silhouette of the old church hung behind the willow tree. Its white paint had chipped due to years of forgotten maintenance and its blue shutters were rusted at the hinges.

The air around Adara seemed to hold its breath. Suspense waited within each moment. Adara took one step. Then, two. Then, three. She walked until she stood in the center of the grave yard, facing the words, Blair Malfoy etched upon stone and Nathaniel Malfoy to her left. Adara lost the strength to stand and fell to her knees. She landed on a bed of soft grass and wept.

"Mother," her voice broke as she traced her slender fingers across her mother's name. Engraved in stone. She placed a hand upon her father's name and her shoulders shook as she sobbed.

"I'm getting married tomorrow," she spoke to her parents. Adara rested her hands upon her knees before speaking again, "You'd really like him."

A smile broke away on her lips and hot tears glided down her cheeks. The warm sun kissed Adara's neck and she closed her eyes. She could almost smell the rose scented perfume of her mother.

"Daddy, I miss you," Adara whispered as she bent forward and rested her forehead on top of her father's name. "Tell me I'm going to make a good wife."

Silence.

"I'm wearing your wedding dress, mother," Adara continued, "Just like I promised."
A warmth met Adara's skin and she breathed. Breathed out the pain.

"His name is George Weasley."

Image


Adara apparated back home to Malfoy manor, feeling renewed. She was immediately wrapped in a familiar embrace.

“Didn’t Narcissa tell you not to worry?” Adara asked with a laugh as she buried her face in George’s chest.

“And you think that is enough to stop me?” George replied, squeezing Adara tighter.

“I went to see my parent's graves.” Adara whispered for only him to hear.

George laid his head on top of Adara’s and began to rub her back.

“Are you alright?”

“I feel so much better, I needed to tell them, even if they weren’t there to hear.”

George smiled warmly down at his fiance then, kissed her cheek tenderly.

“We’re getting married tomorrow,” Adara looked up and met her future husband’s gaze. Hazel on Sapphire.

“Oh, thanks for reminding me,” George teased, giving Adara a wink, then filling the small gap between them with a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
NEXT CHAPTER IS THE WEDDING!