Sequel: Anchor
Status: Complete! Check out, Anchor. It's the sequel to this story.

Love Gone Mad

SIX

Anonymous voices pervaded the Great Hall of Hogwarts and the bewitching architecture that paraded itself upon the walls and ceiling created an atmosphere that would cause even the most stubborn, young wizards and witches to be excited. The sorting of the first years’ had already taken place. Slytherin found themselves with twelve new house members. Each of which became acquainted with the awestruck anxiety of Hogwarts that all whom attend have to experience. A loud, authoritative voice pierced the air and the Great Hall fell silent. All eyes were on their Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, who overlooked the four house tables.

“I would like to welcome you to another year at Hogwarts,” Albus Dumbledore beamed. He paused, letting the abrupt applause die down before he continued with his speech. “And without another moments delay, let the feast begin,” the old wizard spoke and an endless array of food appeared on the tables before him.

Adara sat amongst her friends and classmates, engaged in aimless conversation. Each of their plates were piled high with the food that was set before them. Hogwarts students quickly learn that over eating is a tradition at the Welcome Feast.

"So, Draco," Pansy Parkinson gawked, "Is it true?"

Draco smirked at the group of Slyherin girls that crowded around him. Pansy edged herself closer to Draco as if she was claiming territory.

"Yes," Draco flaunted; lowering his voice. He glanced back and forth at the girls, who covered their mouths, trying to mute the gasps that escaped. The trademark smirk danced across Draco's face. He was in his element."I haven't received any orders yet, but it's only a matter of time," Draco boasted; referring to his newly appointed job as a Death Eater. He puffed out his chest and folded his arms across it.

Draco glanced over at Adara, who was sitting across from him; she was caught up in a conversation with Rachelle and Deveny. He began listening in on their discussion.

"So, any news about your mystery man?" Rachelle asked Adara with a wink and playfully nudged her best friend's side.

Adara's cheeks flushed pink.

"Mystery man?" Gregory Goyle blurted out, who was listening to the ladies' conversation too. Draco smirked. Goyle has been trying to win Adara's heart for years. Sadly, he found himself in a losing battle.

Adara looked over at Goyle, a little annoyed with his lack of respect.

"He hasn't written back yet," Adara confessed while taking a sip of her pumpkin juice.

The incident with George Weasley appeared in her mind, almost causing her to spit out the beverage that filled her mouth; thankfully, she swallowed it.

"What's wrong?" Draco asked Adara, trying not to sound too concerned. After all, he did have a reputation to protect.

"Nothing," Adara snapped. Draco was taken back by her tone, but didn't question his cousin any longer.

"I'm going to the common room. Rachelle, Adara, would you like to accompany me?" Deveny asked; attempting to break the thick silence that encompassed the table.

Adara and Rachelle agreed and quickly headed out of the Great Hall.

"It feels so good to be back," Rachelle expressed.

Adara and Deveny spoke in agreement as they descended the stairs to the dungeons.
The entrance to the common room came into view and Adara quickened her pace.

The trio reached the room's entrance, muttered the password, and the door slowly opened. Their eyes were greeted with a familiar sight as they descended the stone stairs. The stone carved archways along the walls gave the room a grand appearance. Black chandeliers hung low from the ceiling, letting their dim light dance off the walls. Old portraits of former wizards hung upon the walls and two black leather couches, with forest green pillows, seated themselves upon the cold floor. Green lanterns were placed on top of the end tables that encircled the sitting area. A few Slytherins were already occupying the room when Adara, Rachelle, and Deveny made their way to their dormitory.

Adara squealed as she jumped upon her four poster bed. Rachelle and Deveny joined in on her excitement and jumped onto the bed with her. The girls talked and laughed together until they were at a loss of breath. The three decided to change into their pajamas and try to catch some sleep. Classes start tomorrow and they assumed it was getting late.

Adara lie in her bed; her mind was restless. She heard low breathing and faint snores from the two beds across from hers'. She envied their ability to fall asleep so quickly. Moments passed and Adara realized that sleep wasn't going to come easily. She grabbed a piece of parchment and a quill from her trunk and slipped down the stairs into the common room. To her luck, the room was empty and she took a seat on a sleek leather couch. Adara placed the parchment on her lap; she was unsure of what to write, but couldn't think of another way to spend her time. Adara gazed at the flickering flames inside the fireplace; she felt a hand rest upon her shoulder, causing her to jump. She looked up and met the silver blue eyes of her cousin; he greeted her with a smile.

"I see I am not the only one that couldn't find sleep tonight," Draco spoke, taking a seat beside Adara. He stretched his arm upon the top of the couch. Adara nodded and adjusted herself to face her cousin more comfortably.

"What happened on the train?" Draco abruptly asked which took Adara by surprise.

She opened her mouth to speak, but words failed to come out.

"Adara, I know something happened." Draco said sternly; his eyes searching hers.

Adara rubbed the back of her neck and pushed her long black hair over her right shoulder, "I'm not sure how to explain."

Draco remained quite; his gaze was still fixed upon her.

"As I left the compartment to go change, I ran into one of the Weasley boys in the hallway," Adara quietly confessed.

Draco's face dropped. "Continue," he spoke, holding back his desire to curse the muggle loving family.

"He was holding a note and mumbling to himself about a girl," Adara continued while looking up to meet the confused gaze of her cousin. His eyes grew wide.

"You're not thinking that..." Draco began to question angrily before Adara cut him off.

"No, Draco, I'm not. However, it has caused me to wonder," Adara confessed.

"Good, because I will not have my cousin talking to someone who is unworthy of her time! They're a disgrace. They are blood traitors," Draco spat.

"You know I share the same hatred for that families' choices as you," Adara scoffed, "but you cannot blame me for wondering," she continued, hoping to receive a hint of understanding.

Draco remained silent, resulting in Adara regretting that she confided in him.

"Go to sleep and don't think on those things any longer, I won't have it," Draco finally spoke before heading to the boys dormitories.

Adara found a glint of comfort in his words. It had been silly to jump to such a drastic conclusion. She let out a sigh of relief and headed into the girl's dormitory.

Image


"Wakey, Wakey! Eggs and Bakey!" Rachelle chimed. Adara let out a groan and sat up. She leaned against the wooden bed frame behind her and yawned.

"How can you be happy in the morning?" Deveny growled before placing her pillow atop her head.

“Come on, Deveny. Classes start today and we don’t want to be late,” Rachelle teased while sitting on top of the pillow Deveny placed on her head.

A muffled yell was heard and Adara let out a laugh. “Rachelle, you’re horrible,” Adara joked before sliding out of bed. Her toes were greeted by a cold stone floor beneath her, she shivered.

Adara strode into the girl’s dormitory bathroom and took a hot shower. Feeling refreshed, Adara stepped out of the shower and mumbled a spell that dried her hair. She slipped into her clothes and school robe and headed into the common room to wait for Rachelle and Deveny.

A few minutes later, the two girls appeared and they joined Adara on her way to breakfast. The Great Hall was occupied by only a few students, neither of the girls found it surprising. It was always like this the first day; everyone forgets to wake up. Adara took a seat at the Slytherin house table and filled her ceramic plate with food.

"Good morning, Miss Malfoy," a monotone voice greeted her. Adara looked up and saw the pale face of Severus Snape.

"Good morning, Professor," Adara replied while smirking. Snape smiled awkwardly back and began conversing with another Slytherin.

Adara found favor with Professor Snape along with her cousin, Draco. It wasn't because they both excelled in his potion's class; it was because they were Malfoy's. It's funny what something as simple as a last name can get you. Suddenly, a chorus of laughter was heard from the Gryffindor table. Adara eyes shot toward the scene and saw one of the students standing on top of the table. He seemed to be impersonating one of the professors.

"Mr. Weasley," Professor McGonagall's voice rang as she strode across the floor.

The laughter immediately died and the boy hopped down from the table. Adara couldn't hear what the professor told him, but she assumed he received detention for his actions. Adara watched George Weasley sit back down. What looked to be his twin, Fred Weasley, patted his brother on the back. For a moment Adara thought she was mistaken, but it seemed as if George was staring at her. Adara glared back intensively, hoping he would get the idea to stop, but he didn't. Then, unexpectedly, he winked at her. Then, rose from the table and left the hall with his classmates following close behind. Adara was dumb struck. "Did George Weasley just wink at me?" she asked herself.

The unwanted feeling of butterflies fluttering in her stomach returned and she got up from the table. Adara was about to hunt down George Weasley and ask him the meaning of his actions, but was delayed when she heard her best friend Rachelle speak.

"Time to leave already?" she asked while watching Adara. Rachelle was unaware of what just took place.

“Yeah,” Adara replied, replaying the event that just took place in her mind. She hoped somehow it was just her eyes playing tricks on her. Adara took Draco’s words from last night to consideration.

“Don’t think on those things any longer,” her cousin’s demanding voice rang through her head. She decided to listen to it.

The Slytherin girls left the Great Hall and made their way to their first class of the year, Defense against the Dark Arts.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, are you enjoying the story so far? Comment me, please!