Sequel: Liar

Blind

Four

“I love this kind of weather,” Freyja said as they walked along the sidewalk. “Except for when my hair frizzes, that is.”

“Please,” Kennedy scoffed, “I have never seen your hair frizz a day in my life.”

“How can you not? It’s like a fucking troll doll right now,” Freyja laughed.

Kennedy rolled her eyes and just waved her sister’s response off. Freyja had never looked bad a day in her life. It was almost ridiculous the way Freyja never had a bad hair day or any kind of physical blemish. Kennedy figured it was just something in Freyja’s genes since Freyja was adopted.

“Don’t be mad at me,” Freyja pouted as she leaned into Kennedy’s side. “You know I love you.”

“And when was the last time I was mad at you?” Kennedy asked with a sidelong glance at her sister. “You learned that puppy pout thing too easily.”

“We were ten and I blew up your chemistry set.”

“I never had a chemistry set.”

“That’s because I blew it up.”

When Kennedy shot Freyja another look the blonde just giggled in amusement before kissing her cheek. Lifting her hand, Kennedy pushed Freyja’s face away though she was grinning as well. Freyja was also the type of person that she could never get mad at.

“One day,” Kennedy began as she opened the door to a restaurant, “one day, I’m going to get you back. And it’s going to be for anything you’ve ever done to me that I’ve known about.”

“You’ll have to destroy the entire world then because it’s a long list,” Freyja teased.

Rolling her eyes, Kennedy just shook her head as she walked up to the counter. She rarely went out to eat but there were a few places that she did go to. And she didn’t really like the idea of spending more money than she had on a meal the size of a large-sized fry from McDonalds. She did, however, have a weakness for pizza that was handmade.

“Nice to see you again, Kenny,” the blonde behind the counter smirked. “Finally decide to get off your high horse and come see us again?”

“You know I’ve never had a high horse,” Kennedy laughed. “I don’t even like horses.”

“So that’s not you I see riding horses in the park every now and then?”

“Apparently not,” Kennedy grinned.

“Who’s the chick you got with you? Or are you batting for the other team now?”

For once, Kennedy actually heard Freyja almost choke on her own spit. She let out a soft laugh as she glanced over her shoulder to where Freyja was standing. Freyja just gave her a wide-eyed look, a look that was comical on Freyja because Kennedy had never seen it. She’d never seen anyone manage to really startle Freyja.

“That’s a new one, Ronnie,” Kennedy smirked before shaking her head. “No, this is Freyja, my sister.”

Ronnie grinned a little before glancing past Kennedy’s shoulder. “Sorry ‘bout that. You never know what to expect with your sister. She’s a wild one.”

Freyja seemed to have recovered from her initial surprise because she let out an astonished laugh. “We are talking about Kennedy, right? My sister, Kennedy?”

“Hush, blondie,” Kennedy muttered. “Look, I need my usual but bigger, obviously, unless somebody’s watching their weight.”

She her sister a glance over her shoulder which Freyja returned with a mocking face and a middle finger. Smiling, Kennedy turned back to Ronnie.

“And two beers.”

After paying Ronnie, Kennedy and Freyja wandered over to an empty table by the window. Kennedy usually got her food to go but there was no point in it today. The storm clouds had gathered again and were dark, dark enough to signal a storm that was looming overhead.

Kennedy glanced around the restaurant, her two different colored eyes skimming over the faces inside. The usual customers were here but there were a few people missing, probably because of the storm. Everything was a little quieter too with the lack of people.

Her gaze slid to the door, her eyebrows in slight surprise when she realized who was walking in.

“Is it a bad thing when billionaires start slumming it?” she muttered, glancing over at Freyja.

Freyja looked up, blinking as if she had been thinking of something else until Kennedy distracted her.

“Tony Stark,” Kennedy shrugged, nodding in his direction.

Freyja turned, glancing over her shoulder to where Tony was standing at the counter with a blonde beside him. She turned back around and shrugged a little.

“Maybe he just likes clogging his arteries with pizza,” Freyja replied.

“Then what are we doing here?” Kennedy asked, smirking slightly.

“Working on our beer guts,” Freyja grinned.

With a shake of her head, Kennedy reached down and slid her phone out of her pocket. She unlocked the screen, her thumb scrolling aimlessly through the various texts that she had. She was half-surprised that Loki didn’t suddenly pop up on screen. That wouldn’t have gone over well.

“He throws a nice party though,” Freyja said, gaining Kennedy’s attention now.

Kennedy glanced up, eyebrows rising slightly. “Please don’t tell me things like this.”

“Why not?” Freyja grinned. “They’re fun parties. The type of fun parties that you can get into a lot of trouble from.”

“God, I so don’t want to know this,” Kennedy groaned. “You need Jesus, or something.”

“And you don’t?” Freyja laughed. “What’s up with that chick calling you a ‘wild one’, huh?”

Kennedy shrugged as she slipped her phone back into her pocket. Her fingers drummed on the table absent-mindedly though she was well aware of Freyja just staring her down. She wasn’t walking away from this without some kind of bull shit excuse.

“Ronnie just likes to give me a hard time and try to embarrass me,” Kennedy lied. “You know me, I’d rather read books and play with the chemistry set that I don’t have.”

Freyja’s blue eyes narrowed slightly as she looked at Kennedy. Kennedy returned the same look unblinkingly, refusing to admit that she was lying. They held the look for several minutes until they both had to blink as their eyes started to burn.

“Whatever you say,” the blonde murmured. “If you’re lying to me, I’ll find out, just so you know.”

“Mmhmm, keep telling yourself that,” Kennedy smiled.

Before Freyja could say anything back, Ronnie walked up with their food. Kennedy took a sip of her beer, mismatched eyes flicking over to her sister. Freyja gave her another look as if that could tell her whether Kennedy was lying or not.

Kennedy just gave her another mocking smile before reaching into her pocket as her phone vibrated again. She pulled the device out, her eyes scanning the number before she unlocked the phone. It wasn’t from a number that she already had stored.

As she read over the message, her brows knit together slightly. At first, the message didn’t make sense. After she read it for a few minutes, Kennedy realized who it was from. Barton.

She ran her tongue over her teeth for a moment before swallowing the sigh that threatened to slip out. A quick glance at Freyja revealed that her sister was looking at something out the window. Kennedy quickly responded to the message, sending back a simple okay before she put the phone away.

It wasn’t as if she could really say no. She could but she’d have to deal with Loki, and Barton as well, coming to find out why she’d told him no. And, personally, Kennedy wasn’t sure that meeting would go over too well.

Reaching back, her fingers brushed over the shape of the gun resting against her back. It was habit for her to carry the gun everywhere, which was a habit she wasn’t going to break even with Freyja around. She had hidden the rest of her various assortments of guns and ammo but she would keep the Beretta nearby.

Kennedy glanced up at Freyja again before taking a bite of her food. The gun wouldn’t do much damage to Loki but it could take Barton out. For whatever reason that Loki had decided Kennedy would be useful for, Kennedy wasn’t sure. But Loki wasn’t stupid. If he’d figured out anything about her, then he probably knew Kennedy wasn’t skipping about from regular job to regular job. Not when she had an assault rifle lying on her coffee table.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it seems like I keep telling you guys to read these Author's Notes but, I swear, it won't be this often anymore. I just wanted to let you guys know that, because of the short timeline The Avengers takes place over, many of the chapters will cover just a day it seems. I'm going to stretch the timeline out VERY slightly and because this is fanfiction, not everything will be canon to the movie. ALSO. I have two Tony one-shots out that I hope you guys will stop and check out; Hero & Venomous. Please and thank you!

Kennedy | Freyja