The Beginning of the End

XVIII

Effie walked inside the common room and quickly ran to the dormitory. She threw her bag on top of the bed and began stripping out of her school clothes. She put on her tank top with the lace just under the breasts, a pair of dark jeans, her gray/dark blue striped cardigan and black studded ankle booties. She let her hair down from the bun and shook it out.

Yes, she was trying to look good for Harry but also, she wanted to be comfortable. She went back down into the common room and saw Harry just walking in.

"Oh, hi Harry. I was just changing." Effie said sheepishly. He grinned at her, his green eyes shining.

"I was just about to do the same. One moment?"

"Yeah, go right ahead." She gestured up the stairs that she had just descended and he walked up them. Effie sighed as soon as Harry was out of ear shot. She wasn't sure how this conversation was going to go or what it was even going to be about but curiosity was eating her alive.

She was desperate to know. And desperate wasn't something Effie wore well. She was never the desperate type so this was kind of scaring her. She was wringing her hands together by the time Harry had finished and was back downstairs with her.

He was now wearing loose blue jeans in place of his slacks, a black t-shirt where his button up and vest were, and his usual navy hoodie with the white stripes down the arms. Effie's tongue wanted to flop right out of her mouth but she somehow managed to keep that from happening.

"Sorry about that. Shall we?" He asked, gesturing towards the furniture. Effie walked over and sat down on the sofa and Harry sat on the armchair right in front of her.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" She asked, not being able to help it anymore. He chuckled at her eagerness and rubbed his hands together slowly, almost as if he was nervous. The anticipation was killing Effie.

"First, I just wanted to say that I'm so incredibly sorry for how I've been treating you lately. I know it's not fair and I know that there is no excuse for it. I hope you can forgive me?" It was more of a question than statement.

Effie smiled and fiddle with her sleeves.

"Of course I forgive you Harry. You're one of my best friends."

Harry smiled back at her but it quickly faded.

"Second, I know that I kissed you, I know that I led you on and for that I'm sorry but from here on out I will not be leading you on anymore. I've finally made up my mind. I know that's a shitty way of saying it." He said, laughing at himself. Effie bit her lip, feeling her heart start to beat rapidly against her chest. It was so loud she could swear Harry could hear it.

"I'm going to try to make things work with Ginny. I know you wanted it to be you and I wish it was but it's not. I really wish it was." His voice trailed off and Effie felt her stomach drop and it was almost as if her heart stopped beating all together.

It wasn't her...and it was never going to be her. She swallowed the lump in her throat and brought herself back to reality.

"You're right, I do want it to be but since it's not I'll just have to get over it. I hope everything works out with you and Ginny, I really do. Like I said, you're one of my best friends, I don't want to see you get hurt but if everything doesn't work out, I'll be here." Effie mentally kicked herself in the ass after she said that. She didn't want him to think that she would be his second choice.

She stood up from the couch and walked briskly through the portrait hole. Her heels clicked against the floor as she walked through the halls. She was starting to wish that Fred and George were there, they'd help her get her mind off of things.

She wasn't sure how she'd done it but she had made her way up to the Owlry. She sat down on a step stool that had been randomly placed and put her head in her hands.

If you're wondering why she's not crying, it's because she ran out of tears a long time ago. She didn't want to cry anymore so naturally, she stopped letting herself.

****

After a few hours and one long letter to Fred and George, Effie finally left the Owlry and walked back to the common room. She missed dinner so she was going to be extra hungry in the morning but she didn't care.

As soon as she walked through the portrait hole, Hermione attacked her with a tight hug.

"We were so worried about you!" She exclaimed in a scolding tone. Effie shrugged her shoulders and ran a hand through her hair.

"There was no need. I was just in the Owlry. And I know you know why so don't bother asking." Effie snapped, but immediately regretted it.

"No, I haven't the slightest clue as to why." Hermione snapped back, although the hurt was also evident in her voice. Effie sighed and closed her eyes.

"Harry chose Ginny." She said softly. Hermione's face softened as her best friend's words reached her ears.

"I'm sorry mate." Ron mumbled. Effie laughed humorlessly and turned around.

"I don't want your sympathy. I don't need your support. I just need you to act like nothing ever happened. I want to act like I never had feelings for Harry, I want to act like our friendship isn't falling apart over this." At this point, both Effie's bark and bite were bad. Each word wounded Ron and Hermione but they understood.

Effie walked up to the dormitory and kicked her shoes off. She collapsed on the bed and yanked the curtains closed. She wanted to forget about this day completely, at least for a little while.
♠ ♠ ♠
So yeah, Effie's upset, of course but hers and Harry's friendship is fine. She is still going to support him no matter what but naturally she wont be happy about it.
Once again, this took a while because I was at my boyfriends house for like 10 days. I just got back yesterday evening haha. Im not sure when I'll be going back but I'm sure it's soon because he's having a hard time, his parents are going through a divorce so yeah. Im not sure why I told you that because I know you people don't care but it's whatever lol.

comment; subscribe; recommend :)

Effie