The Beginning of the End

XXIII

"Albus Dumbledore was the greatest man I ever knew. He was a great professor, a great wizard, and a great Headmaster. I don't think he would want us to cry on this day. He would want us to celebrate. He would us to celebrate a life that was well lived. Will we miss him? Of course. He was the one that we all turned to in our darkest hour. But we will carry on, just as he would want us to. He believed in all of us and he still does."

Effie looked out at the sea of students as she gave her speech. Some were crying, others just sat there not knowing what to do. She wanted to bring as much comfort to them as possible. She found herself tearing up as she caught sight of the pure white marble tomb that held her Headmaster. She cleared her throat and continued on.

"We can make it through these dark times if we just stick together. Isn't that what Dumbledore's greatest lesson was about?! He knew that this...this threat could be conquered by the strength of love and friendship. So no more fighting. No more of this house rivalries. I don't care if you're a Gryffindor and a Slytherin. Stop destroying each other and honor Albus Dumbledore's one and only wish!" Effie's voice was filled with desperation. She may have gone overboard with the speech but she couldn't help it.

She excused herself from the podium and went to sit back down next to her father.

***

Somewhere in the sea of students, Harry sat next to Ginny. Both of them hadn't said a word to each other since the night before. Harry didn't know what to say. Someone that was like family to him had been murdered.

Ginny reached over and grabbed her boyfriends hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"I can't imagine how you feel about this whole thing but I know how you feel about Effie." She said quietly as someone else stood up to give their speech. Harry furrowed his eyebrows and turned towards Ginny.

"What are you talking about?"

"I saw the way you looked at her last night. She was the first person you made sure was alright. And I saw how she looked at you. So, I was thinking last night, it wouldn't be very fair for me to keep you away from the one you truly love." Ginny's voice was sincere but Harry didn't know what to think of it immediately.

"I'm really not sure what to say here." He whispered. Ginny smiled and shrugged.

"Say thank you and go be with her. I'll be okay." She said, punching his arm lightly. They quieted down and listened to the rest of the last speech. After that, everyone stood up and parted ways. Harry immediately started looking for Effie.

***

Effie was up on the bridge where she and Harry had kissed. She was looking out over the grounds and everything was surprisingly beautiful. Normally, days like this are dark and gloomy but not this one. The sun was out, the air was crisp and slightly chilly, and the flowers were starting to bloom again.

Effie heard footsteps coming up beside her but she didn't bother looking. She was too wrapped up in the view. But when she caught a whiff of Harry's scent, it pulled her attention back.

"What are you doing here?" She asked with a small smile. Harry shrugged and moved a little bit closer towards her. Effie licked over her lips and looked down at her hands.

"What about Ginny?" She mumbled, looking back up at him. Harry smiled and grabbed her hand.

"Let's just say it didn't work out. She talked some sense into me and then broke up with me."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Effie whispered, feeling just a little bit sad for him. Harry shook his head,quieting her down. He leaned in and stole a quick kiss. Effie felt her heart flutter a little. The last time they had kissed was...oh god, a really long time ago. It still felt amazing.

"So, uh, where does that leave us? Are we a thing? Are we waiting until it's more appropriate considering you and Ginny just broke up?" She asked curiously. She needed to know, she deserved to know. It wouldn't be fair for her to just be sitting around waiting. Hell, she has been for a whole year.

"Well, I really do think we should wait longer than 30 minutes so it's something we can discuss over the summer. But it's like I told Ron and Hermione, I'm not coming back to school next year. Dumbledore wanted me to complete this task so that's what I'm going to be doing."

Effie sighed and licked her lips. She should have seen that coming from a mile away. She knew that aside from completing the task, part of Harry didn't want to go back. And she didn't blame him.

"Well, I imagine that they're coming with you so...I am too. I don't care what you have to say about it, I'm going."

Harry didn't argue with her, he just grabbed her hand and laced their fingers together. Maybe they could make this thing work. After everything that happened that year, Effie was glad that some happiness could be found within it all. Effie knew that they would have to fight to keep their happiness though.

She looked over to Harry who was staring out at the grounds and her heart thudded faster. As long as she had him, she could face anything...
♠ ♠ ♠
Effie

Final chapter! :( Well, until the sequel is up which should be today hopefully. This weekend is gonna be busy so don't expect any updates. I'll get them up if I can :)

read;comment;subscribe :3