The Beginning of the End

V

Effie sat in a chair by the window in the Gryffindor common room. Outside was bright and sunny and absolutely beautiful. It was nice to be able to take a break after a stressful first week of classes. She really didn't want to spend her Saturday inside.

She heard the portrait swing open and a bunch of footsteps come walking in. She turned her attention to her three friends and smiled. Hermione skipped up to her and held out an envelope.

"This just came for you during breakfast." She said. Effie took the envelope and when she saw that it was from her mom, she ripped it open. She pulled out the letter and began reading.

My dearest Effie,

I miss you. I'm sorry that I haven't written in a bit. Things have been really hectic.I'm writing you from China now. I've traveled to so many places and just realized that I haven't gotten you a souvenir. So enclosed is a little something for you. I hope you like it. What are you classes like this term? I hope they're not too boring. I got a letter from your father just today. He said that he loves you and misses you and he'll be away for the holidays so you'll be staying with the Weasley's. But I must go now. There's so much to see.

Love always, xoxo


Effie smiled sadly and folded the letter back up. She looked inside the envelope and saw a small cinch bag inside. She took it out, opened it up and dumped whatever was in it out. It was a silver necklace with a Chinese dragon head. She smiled and placed it around her neck. As mad as she was at her mother, she was happy to at least have something from her.

"Do you feel a little better?" Harry asked wrapping an arm around Effie's shoulders.

"Yes, thanks. Who wants to go to Hogsmeade?" She asked biting her lip, a horrible habit she's had pretty much her whole life.

"That's what we were coming to ask you." Ron said. Effie wasted no time in running up to the girls' dormitory and changing out of her pajamas. She wanted to get the most out of this weather before it turned bitter cold. She rushed down the stairs and met up with the others.

"Okay, let's go." Her voice held a happy tone which was music to Harry's ears.

Even though Harry was completely in love with Ginny, he had feelings for Effie too. He wanted her to be happy. He knew how she was, high...or very low. And it was the very low part that scared him. It wasn't like anybody could fix it. There was nothing in her past that caused her to be like that, it was who she was.

Harry had a feeling that even if Ginny wasn't in the picture, he still wouldn't have a chance with Effie. There was no way that she could see him like that...or so he thought. He smiled when she looked back at him, her face glowing, her loose red waves bouncing as she walked. How Harry wasn't in love with her instead was a mystery to everybody.

Effie felt Harry staring at her. She didn't care, she just wanted to know why.

They finally made it outside and Effie breathed in. It felt so good to be outside. She didn't feel so caged up. She was practically dragging Hermione, who had her arm laced with Effie's.

"Where are we going to go first?" Harry asked laughing as he watched Effie practically chomp at the bit.

"The Three Broomsticks." Effie answered.

Getting to Hogsmeade was faster than they expected it to be. It was probably because Effie was pretty much dragging everybody. Harry had to admit, for someone who was 5 feet tall even, she was pretty strong.

Effie skipped into the Three Broomsticks and went to find them a table. She chose one near the window that way she wasn't too far from the outside. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat down around the table and Hermione ordered everyone Butterbeers, asking for ginger in hers and cinnamon in Effie's.

"Why are you so happy today? Not that it's a bad thing." Hermione asked fiddling with her sleeve. Effie shrugged.

"I'm not sure. Today's just a good day. You know, what you don't understand is, this feeling of never knowing how your day is going to end up, is terrible. You can wake up in the morning and say 'I'm going to have a good day today'...I can't do that. Every day I have 50/50 chance of being happy or depressed. But I still do my best to at least act happy, for you guys." She smiled and took a sip of her Butterbeer.

"Well, we're always here to help you through whatever issues you have." Harry said with a grin. Effie smiled back at him.

"Quidditch tryouts are soon." Ron said after taking a swig of his drink.

"Oh, yeah that's right. Harry made team captain this year." Hermione smiled.

"And you didn't tell me because....?" Effie teased, giving him a playful glare. Harry shrugged.

"It must have slipped my mind."

"Uh huh, I'm sure."

Hermione gave Ron a look that probably meant 'They should just get together already' or something like that. Hermione was about the only person that could see that Effie was in love with Harry and Harry was in love with Effie and Ginny. She felt that Effie needed to say something to him but she knew Effie wouldn't.

The four of them finished their Butterbeers and walked back to the school. They immediately went back up to the common room to relax the rest of the day. As soon as they walked through the portrait hole, Effie saw Ginny sitting on the sofa. She noticed Harry lock eyes with the younger Weasley and she felt her heart sink.

Hermione watched with a worried look as Effie climbed up the stairs to the girls' dormitory. She pondered whether or not she should follow but decided, the hell with it, and went up the stairs after her friend.

Effie was standing beside her bed, folding all of the clothes that she still hadn't taken out of her trunk. She was placing them in neat piles to put them in the trunk at the foot of her bed. When she got to the bottom, she saw the brown leather journal that she had made when she was 11. She picked it up, untied it and started flipping through the pages.

The first page was littered with pictures of herself with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. She turned the page and saw the journal entry she had written after she got home her first year of Hogwarts.

The new school wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I made some amazing friends, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger. They're all fantastic. So much has happened this school year. We even won the House Cup! I can't wait until I go back next year. All of my teachers are great. Especially Professor Snape and Professor McGonagall. Although one of my teachers turned out to be a bad guy, he was helping he-who-must-not-be-named return to power. Of course, thanks to Harry he didn't succeed. So now we're going to have a new professor next year. Anyways, dinners calling.

Effie.


Effie chuckled to herself and continued to flip through the pages, seeing all of the pictures of her friends that she had collected over 6 years.

"You really should tell him you know." Hermione said. Effie jumped and spun around quickly. She placed a hand on her chest, trying to slow her heart.

"What are you talking about?" She asked, looking at Hermione as if she was crazy.

"I know you're in love with Harry. I think you should tell him." Hermione was pushing the subject but only because she felt that both of her friends deserved to be happy.

"I can't tell him, Hermione. He doesn't even feel the same." Effie pointed out. Hermione sighed to herself.

"He still deserves to know." And with that, she walked back down the stairs and into the common room. Effie sat down on her bed, not really knowing what just happened. Hermione knew...how many other people knew? Should she really tell Harry how she feels? Effie knew one thing, she needed to get these things figured out and fast.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like this one is really just a filler. Some of my chapters will carry on from
previous ones and others will be like a time lapse but nothing ridiculous.
How long do you think Effie should wait to tell Harry? I don't want it to be soon but
i don't want it to be too long. So, what..a couple weeks, months? lol help?

comment; subscribe; :)

Effie