Restive Sleep

Sleepless

Rhun laid in bed for what seemed like hours as he tried to get back to sleep. He hated when he had trouble falling back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. It was wasting the time he could be asleep. Wasting the time he could be using to save her. He rolled over and looked at his clock. 1:30 am. He had barely even been asleep at all; he went to bed about two hours before. He needed to get back to sleep.

But he couldn’t.

Groaning, he got out of bed. He was going to have to make a pot of tea. If there was one thing in the world that could make him go back to sleep, it was chamomile tea. He found the kitchen light on and Mum sitting at the kitchen table. She was revising something and had papers all over the table. She didn’t notice his presents until he started to fill the kettle.

“Rhun what are you doing up?”

“Can’t sleep.”

“Did you have a bad dream?” To Mum, sleepless nights were always caused by bad dreams.

“Sort of.”

“Do you feel like talking about it?”

“Not really.”

Neither of them spoke until the kettle whistled. “Do you want a cup of tea?” Rhun asked as he took the kettle off the burner. “It’ll be chamomile.”

“I think I’ll pass. I need to finish this.”

“What are you working on now?”

“Just revising my book.”

Again?

“You know I’ve spent a long time working on this book, and even though my editor is about ready to pry it from my fingers, I’m determined to not let her have it until I am completely satisfied with it.”

Rhun sighed.

“What is it?”

“I’m just tired of that book. Why did you have to move us back? You could do all of your revising there just as well as you can here.”

“Honey, your Father and I missed the States.”

“You mean you missed the States.”

She sighed. “Why are you angry about this all of a sudden?”

“I don’t feel American.”

“No one said you had to.”

“Really? My English teacher sure seems to think so.”

“I’ve spoken to her about that, as well as the principle. You know that.”

“Mum, you’re losing your accent.”

“I never really had one to begin with, Rhun.”

“I’m afraid that I’m losing mine.”

Mum smiled slightly and shook her head. “You accent is still as strong as your Grandfather’s.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

Rhun finished his tea before returning to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I took five hundred years to get around to updating this, only to give you a boring chapter. I promise the next one will be a bit more interesting.

Also, I do plan on rewriting this when it's done, so that it's a longer story, with more suspense and stuff.