Status: One and Done

Won't Give Up

1/1

Doubles doors slam close as a blur of brown hair flies through them. Holding her purse close, Andie Nelson approaches the nurse’s desk. She fights back tears as the nurse puts down her pen and lifts her head.

“Welcome to UPMC, how may I help you?” Clearing her throat Andie pulls it together long enough to answer the woman.

“I’m here to see my boyfriend. I received a call saying he had been rushed here after an accident. His name is Del Zotto, Michael.” The name rolls of her lips like its part of her normal vocabulary. In a way, it is. Andie and Michael had been dating since they were younger. They met when he was still with the Oshawa Generals. She stood by his side as he was taken 20th overall in the 2008 Draft to the New York Rangers. Things were rough for them at first but they made it work. She had followed him to New York and started school at Columbia University.

She had just put her biology book down after studying for two hours when her phone rang. Her best friend and fellow Rangers girlfriend Mykelti had called to tell her that Mike had been taken off the ice. Mykelti was taking in the game between the Rangers and Penguins at the Igloo while Andie stayed back in her hotel room to study for her test the following week. Throwing her pea coat and Uggs on, Andie ran out the door. The whole cab ride to the hospital she was praying for him to be ok.

“He’s in recovery right now. Can I get your name?” The nurse pulls the computer keyboard close and looks up at the young girl.

“Andrea Nelson, I’m his girlfriend. Mykelti Ryder said the medical staff knows I’m supposed to be here.” Her hand begins to shake as she holds her Vera Bradley purse close to her. The nurse types and looks at the screen then picks up a pass.

“Take this pass down the hall and put in the code on the bottom. Mr. Del Zotto will be down that hall. His room number is in the top right corner.”

“Thank you ma’am.” Taking the pass, Andie walks swiftly down the hall. A tear makes its way down her cheek as she punches the five digit code into the keypad. The doors open granting her entrance into the special section of the hospital. As she approaches his room she takes a deep breath and knocks on the door.

“Come in,” A soft voice says from behind the door. Pushing the wooden door open slightly, Andie walks inside and feels her heart drop as she sees the love of her life lying in the hospital bed. A red head nurse puts down a syringe and turns around. “I’m Mallory, his nurse. You are?”

“Andrea, his girl friend.” She replies with a small smile. The nurse returns the smile and pulls a chair next to Michael’s bed.

“Take a seat Andie, he asked for you when he got here. He’s asleep right now; I don’t think it’ll be long till he wakes up.” Andie places her bag in her lap and takes a seat.

“What happened to him?” She asks as she takes his hand and lances her fingers with his.

“The team doctor said that he was in the corner battling against Malkin. Michael went down and the skate got him on the rib cage. It came really close to his heart. Doctor gave him stitches, I think fifty of them. He’ll be ok. Just in pain for a bit and little groggy from the meds we gave him to numb him up and help him sleep. If you need anything, push the red button or come get me.” Mallory picks up the chart and goes to the door.

“Thank you, I will.” Andie says quietly as she kisses the top of Michael’s hand. The nurse leaves allowing the two to have some time together. Laying her head down on the bed, Andie closes her eyes and waits for Michael to wake up.

Two hours pass as the young couple sleep. Losing grip on Michael’s hand, Andie slips into a deeper sleep. Michael slowly opens his eyes and looks down as Andie quietly lets out a small purr. A smile spreads across his face as he tries to lean down and kiss the top of her head. A pain makes him recoil and lay back.

“Oww.” He places his hand on his side and feels the bandage. Pulling the blanket down he looks at the gauze covering his side. Andie moves a little as he pulls the thin blanket back up. Sitting up, she rubs her eyes and looks around. “Morning sleeping beauty.” Michael says with a smile and a wink. She smiles back and moves the purse off her lap. “Come here.” He says patting the side of the bed. Andie moves the chair back and takes a seat on the side of the bed.

“How you feel?” She asks as she runs her fingers through his brown curls. They were one of the reasons she fell for him. She loved to lie in bed the nights he was home and run her fingers through his hair. It reminded her of the nights they spent in Oshawa, before things became difficult. She knew going into the relationship that things were gonna be rough. It was Michael’s rookie season so she knew he’d rarely be home. When he was home he was either asleep or hanging with friends. She tried to not let him see it but it was starting to take a toll on her. The previous week had been the Olympic break for the league. Michael had taken his parents to the beach, leaving Andie at home to work on school. She wanted so bad to go with but she knew if she wanted to achieve her dream of being a news reporter, she had to keep studying and working on school work.

“I feel like I had a hot knife in my side.” Michael replies as she keeps playing with his hair.

“I can see why. The nurse said you got fifty stitches, it’s gonna leave a massive scar.”

“Not like you mind scars.” He winks and smiles as he says this. She smiles and giggles. “I’m sorry, for being gone all the time and not paying attention when I’m home. I don’t want you to give up on us though. It’ll get easier. Just think, it’s February now; few more months and we’ll be back home in Oshawa, just us.” She gets off the bed and walks around to the other side. Slipping off her shoes she lies down on her side and lays her head on his chest.

“I’m not gonna give up on us Mike. I love you too much…” She pauses as the “L” word comes out. They’ve never said love to each other before; she didn’t know this was going to go.

Looking down at her he places a kiss upon her pink lips and smiles. “I love you too. So much.” He wraps his arm around her and holds her close. Sighing contently she closes her eyes. All the nerves and worry left her as she laid there next to him. He was ok, she was ok. They were gonna be ok. And they both knew deep down, they were never going to give up on each other.

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't wrote in a long time so I'm sorry if this sucks.