Legacy

Survivor

“Oh, I'm a survivor. My whole life has been surviving.”
- Eddie Bracken

August 17, 3017
My hand gripped the arrow and string, as I brought my arm back. I let go of the arrow, aiming at the bird flying above. The arrow swiftly hit the bird and I watched as the bird fell to the ground, carefully making my way over to the bird. I bend down, took my arrow out of the bird and cleaned it with the cloth that I was going to wrap the bird in. After picking up the bird I put my arrows and bow way, then wrapping the bird in the cloth. In this world you eat what you can, there isn’t much so you can never be picky or you’ll simply die. Although you did have to be careful; with all the diseases going around one small bite could be your last. Walking on the worn out road I could see an abandoned building in the distance and decided to stay there. As I made my way over to the building, I thought about what happened yesterday at Savannah’s. When Savannah said they were there, she was talking about the “Rangers” which where the king's elite army; in other words his personal bastards. When my mother died I spent a few years living with some people who took real good care of me but my stupid ass decided to leave them and become a Seeker, which is a person who goes around finding valuables and trading it for other things they need. The problem was that I was just nine years old.

May 11, 3009

“Get your filthy hands off me!” I yelled at the guards, as each of them grabbed one of my arms, pulled them back and handcuffed me. We were standing a room, surrounded by stone walls.

“Shut the fuck up, you little bitch,” A boy that looked about eleven years old yelled at me. I gaped at him, I’ve heard does words before but no one had ever directed those words at me.

“Take her to the dungeon” He ordered the guards.

We walked by rotting walls and down the stone stairs, unfortunately reaching our destination rather quickly. The guards pushed me into a dark room and slammed the door shut. I tried to look around but I couldn't see anything, except for a very dim light coming from underneath what I could guess was the door. I screamed and struggled against the shackles on my hands for quite sometime, but after a while my lungs got pretty tired of all the screaming. My eyes began to drift closed and I soon allowed the sleep to take over me.

“Get up, the king wants to see you” I heard a man yell, as I awakened. I tried to get up but for some reason I felt weak.

“I said get the fuck up you bitch” the man yelled once again with a menacing tone, grabbing me by my hair and pulling me up. I walked behind him while he pushed me along by the chain on the handcuffs. We walked down many halls, the walls rotting and old although I had to admit it was the most complete building I had ever seen. Stopping in front of a heavy burgundy the guard cleared his throat.

“Bring her in” said the demanding voice of a man. We stepped through the curtain, and I looked at the man with defiance in my eyes. I may be nine years old but I was Arianna Hadiths, Protector- in- training of my land Aurelianity, I was born to protect my people and I refused to back down because of this king.

“Why is she here?” The king asked

“Caught her reading, and stealing”

“Bring her closer, I can’t see her well” said the king.

As soon as I was close enough to his face my small fist made contact with the king’s face and my elbow jammed into the guard’s stomach. Of course I was stupid enough to think that I would ever cause damage, I was after all only nine years old and didn’t stand a chance. The king got up with fury burning in his eyes, wraps my hair in his hand and brings my face up to his.

“How dare you” he said with disgust, wrapping his other hand around my neck, letting go of my hair. I tried to put get my feet on the ground but I couldn’t when this man was choking me in mid-air.

“Father!” A familiar voice yelled at the king

“Don’t you see I’m busy?”

“She is a Protector, a warrior,” the boy said loudly, “she could be of great use to our army, let me train with her and make her my slave”

“Fine but first she will be punished severely” the king growled, “but be warned if she does as much as cross my path she shall die”

“Yes father” the boy said as the king let go of me. I fell to the floor trying to hide my fear and looked towards the boy who I soon recognized as the boy who had called me a bitch. I caught the boys sky blue eyes, his devilish grin and the mischievous gleam in his eyes. My heart started beating against my rib cage, and that look in his eyes had me frozen in fear.

During the first few weeks he “broke me in” as he, Kaen said. I was beaten, whipped and called hateful things by him. He hated me and I hated him. I found out a lot more about him than I would have liked; his fears, secrets, hopes, and dreams. He was eleven years old like I had originally guessed but acted like he was much older. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years and time flew by.

August 17, 3020
My back still had scars of all those nights when he beat me senseless. Years after that night, I made my escape a few weeks before my fifteenth birthday. I defended myself out on the streets ever since, after all Kaen had taught me how to fight well. Being a Protector I had learned how to fight when I first met them and Kaen just kept me as he’s punching bag but i learned how to fight back; which he liked since it was more of challenge. My fighting abilities weren’t just because I practiced but because I was a Protector, a Guardian. There was an ancient prophecy predicting the thing that damned all living and dead things, but there was also a prophecy about the chosen ones, the Protectors. We had power like no other creature, each unique just like the mark.

On the first sunrise of the 3rd Millennium

They shall be born like no other

The mark of the sun will be their strength

United they’ll be one day

An army shall be raised to defeat

And save

The mark was unique to each Protector, mine being a sun with rays that swirled all around my shoulder blade, where the tattoo was located. There were different groups into which your powers could fall under. A few of the more known groups are the Elementi, Tempus, Bellator, and Mortem. The Elementi controlled the elements, anything from water to metal and where a bit common, the Tempus controlled time and space and where very rare, as where the Mortem, who with one touch could kill you, the Bellator was the most common group since almost everyone fell under it, they were warriors and had the strength of a hundred man. Everyone’s powers came in after their 3rd birthday and before their 7th birthday.Strangely, I was a late “bloomer” as mine came in on my 10th birthday. I am an Elementi, but have trouble controlling my powers since no one helped me with them as I developed them. Kaen didn't know about my powers since I told him I never developed and him being an idiot believed me. The only people who knew about me being a protector and that were still alive were Kaen and them, although I have a hunch Savannah knows about it. I always wear clothing that covers my tattoo, being a Protector or even knowing about one was a crime in all territories. Kaen’s personal bastards had been looking for me throughout the land since I ran away from him. At first it was hard to run away because it had been years since I wandered those roads, luckily I managed to get away. I was now in a new sector ,although they have obviously found me because of what happened at Savannah’s yesterday. Although I never told Savannah I was a Protector I did tell her to warn me if she ever saw the Rangers coming because my life was in danger. The region I was currently in is called Lithuania. It was a huge land; it would take two years to walk from coast-to-coast, but it was divided into territories which were divided into smaller lands called sectors. Each territory had a ruling leader. Although this people called themselves king, they didn’t have riches. The only reason we followed their rules were because they had their army positioned everywhere and the army didn’t hesitate to kill us. The army followed their orders because they had a place to sleep and the most decent food you could find in this dying world. When the thing happened the people responsible for it divided themselves into 15 making the 15 territories, and although they all started out as friends they soon became enemies. There were 15 territories and a 100 sectors in each. I lived in Territory 13 and right now I was in sector 32 known to its people as Kilayiu and Kaen lived in sector 1 known as Honeoye; the land of the one. I was born in sector 84, known to its people as Everline but when they took me in, I became Protector of the 100th sectror, known to its people as Aurelianity, making it my home. There were supposed to be 2 Protectors to each sector but since I became a Protector of Aurelianity, there were now 3 Protectors in Aurelianity and 1 in Everline.

The sun was at its highest when I finally reached the abandoned building. I made my way inside looking at the broken windows, the old brick walls, and what was left of the doorway. Sitting down on a shaded area, I set down my stuff carefully before reaching into my boots and taking out my knife. I felt the fire rise within me before I saw it burn in front of my eyes. I slowly made the fire bigger until I was satisfy. To bring fire to life I have to call on Fierce, the one who gives us our power, the goddess of fire. I have to let the fire rice within me before letting it out. I plucked the feathers and cooked the bird slowly over the fire as I checked for signs of disease before eating it. After I finished eating I went back into the comforting shade to my stuff and did my routing check. Looking through my stuff I noticed the album and decided to look through it. The pictures were mostly of my mother, things that captured my eyes and them. Suddenly I felt emotions that I tried to keep hidden and I could feel my heart picking up. A mixture of emotions welled in me; love, hate, sadness, and anger. I laid down on the sandy floor closing my eyes I felt silent tears running down my face, feeling alone for the first time in a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I edited, new chapter coming next week!