Status: HIATUS

Counting Stars

If you can't trust the wind, who can you trust?

They were boys again, begging the adults to take them to the greatest places on earth. Eyes perfectly wide in that puppy dog way, lips jutted out in dramatic pouts that nobody could say no to.

It would take an army of bodyguards and a less burly chaperone, but their manager would allow it. They had to make a plan of where they all wanted to go and be back at a certain time, pinky swear they would not run off or do something equally as embarrassing just in casee the glaring lens of the American paparazzi would capture it.

Once they had agreed to all of this, signed a blood oath and virtually had their finger prints taken, their manager was set with the task of finding the sucker who would accompany them.

Most of the people who worked behind the scenes were middle aged, and would much rather drive nails through their eyelids than look after a bunch of young men. The only logical choice was also the most dangerous one.

Opening the door Ellis smiled, standing aside so he could enter.

"Morning sir, to what do I owe this please?" She asked sweetly.

"The boys want to do a bit of sight seeing and i'd like you to go along with them, keep an eye on them, handle any little bumps that may occur."

She nodded, keeping a straight face. Her poker face had improved greatly since she started this job, a few months ago she would have laughed right at him while she cringed. But life didn't revolve around her anymore, it revolved around five boys.

"Yes of course sir, i'd be more than happy to."

"Good, they've created an itinerary and have been told to stick to it, as well as be back by six. You'll have bodyguards of course, bring your phone and remember Ellis, this is business not pleasure."

"Yes sir," she nodded again, catching herself before she gave him a little bow.

"Thank you Ellis, i'll see myself out."

And with that, he left her alone with more problems then she could count.

Since she had planned on doing nothing but lounge by the pool, she was going to put off showering until later. Now she was racing in and out so she could be ready and waiting for them.

Slathering on some make-up after she had washed and dried her hair, she threw the cherry red locks into a sleek ponytail, pulling random bits of clothing out of her luggage.

Deciding on a dark denim pair of high waisted shorts, she put them over a white tank top that normally would have flowed if it wasn't tucked in. A pair of sensible shoes flew onto her feet, while she grabbed a bag and tossed all that would be need dinette, almost sprinting down to the lobby to wait for them.

It was not long after that five boys and even more body guards arrive, everyone stunned at who would be coming with them.

"You're our chaperone?" Louis asked, glancing over at Zayn.

"Yes."

"Shouldn't they have gotten someoneā€¦older?" Liam questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Probably."

With that, Ellis slipped on her sunglasses and waved them all forward. She strategically placed herself at the front of the line, hiding behind the tallest and broadest bodyguard there. This way, any flashbulbs that were inevitably to come, would be blocked from capturing her.

It was chaos until they got to the car, four wheels whisking them away before the door was shut.

"Where are we going exactly?" She asked once everyone had settled.

"Tattoo shop, Venice beach, maybe the grove or something before we grab lunch," Liam told her, speaking up for the group.

"You know the grove will have people waiting for you right? And why a tattoo shop?"

"Zayn wants another tattoo," he stated as if this should have been obvious.

Rolling her eyes, Ellis sat back in silence. This was going to be a long day.

After waiting around the tattoo shop with very little excitement, and the disappointing crawl through Venice beach, the group decided to do some shopping.

"Fate is at work here mate," Harry whispered to Zayn while looking through the racks of clothing.

"What do you mean?"

"Out of all the people they could send, they send her," he said, pointing at a patient girl waiting for them. "You should go talk to her."

"I'm good," Zayn muttered, shaking his head.

"Are you scared?" Harry scoffed.

"Fuck off, i'm not scared. She's just made it clear she doesn't want to speak to me."

A loud burst of laughter came, getting everyone's attention which quickly made Zayn uncomfortable.

"You are scared, that's pathetic."

Scowling, Zayn walked away and headed for the door. This action made everyone almost automatically follow him, assuming they were done.

"Oi," Harry shouted. "I wasn't finished in there."

"Nobody cares," Zayn spat, striding along.

"What's gotten into him?" Louis asked the curly headed boy currently sporting a dramatic pout.

"He's scared of talking to Ellis."

"Are you joking?" The boy in question hissed, glancing around to make sure she wasn't in ear shot. "Will you just drop it? She won't speak to me, end of."

"So you say, I bet she'd talk to me," he smugly told him.

It was Zayn's turn to laugh. "I'd like to see you try."

That was all Harry needed. He strolled over to her and smiled. "Are you having fun Ellis?"

She chuckled, nodding her head without a word.

The smug smirk transferred to Zayn's face. Harry was not discouraged though, he was just getting started.

"It must be nice you know, doing something fun instead of running around checking dressing rooms or making coffee. You're what, twenty-one? Girl your age needs some excitement."

"You don't think ordering coffees for everyone else but yourself isn't fun? I'd say you need to get out more Mr. Styles."

"That's funny, you've got a great sense of humour. Its dry, I like that."

"Thank you, we can't all be silly like you guys, especially us jaded folks."

"Jaded? You're not jaded love, you're a disgruntled youth which is very hip these days."

The more they spoke, the angrier Zayn got. He grew especially angry when Harry glanced at him and mouthed "see". What made him so different?

"Well look at that," Louis practically giggled. "Looks like he was right."

"Shut up."

"I think she hates you Zayn."

It was a joke, something to get under his skin, but maybe Louis was right. What other explanation was there? He had tried the forward approach, tried making her laugh, tried playing it cool, and nothing worked. Even Liam, who had just explained what they had planned got more of a conversation out of her than he had.

Drifting back over towards them, Harry clamped a hand down on Zayn's shoulder. "Never underestimate me again."

Brushing him off, he looked over at her with a sigh. What did she want from him? Was he not charming enough, had he offended her in some way that he didn't realize? This was getting ridiculous, all of that convincing that he wouldn't give up seemed like bullshit now. Ellis was a complete waste of time.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you all for your comments, subscriptions and anybody for just reading this. again as i always say, i know things aren't exactly speeding along but what can you do? i hope you enjoy this!

on another note, i've posted the first chapter of a two part Liam story called Profound Things. if you want to read it, just click that little link, subscribe, comment, whatever you like