Status: Currently under revision.

Bruises On the Soul

Only Way Out

Nick slammed the door shut on his way out.

I curled into a ball on the floor in our bedroom, my blood probably staining the carpet. I knew i'd have to clean it before Nick got home from work, or else he'd get angry.

I refused to cry. I've cried so much this past year, that i'm all dried up.
It's funny how you never see it coming until its too late.

When i first met Nick, he was so kind, and sweet, and a perfect gentleman, but then he changed. He turned into this possessive, destructive, violatile man who like to beat me for pleasure.

And i've had enough.
I'm tired of being a rag doll.

So i pulled myself up off the floor, screaming out loud at the pain it caused me.
Broken ribs i'm sure.

I grabbed the suitcase from under the bed an threw everything of mine in it, all my clothes, shoes, belongings. Everything.

I slipped on my boots and jacket, slipping out the door, dragging the suitcase on its wheels behind me.

I felt my phone buzz in my hand.

I want chicken for dinner. - Nick

i rolled my eyes, walking to the front door.
Well you're not getting it.

I stepped out the apartment building and onto the busy sidewalk, throwing my arm up in the air. I winced, cowering. The cold February air chilled my body as i stood there, waiting.

A yellow taxi pulled up to my side, and i opned the door, throwing my suitcase in.

" Where to..Miss?" i looked up to see the driver staring at me with wide eyes.

I then realized that i must look a mess with the black eyes, busted lip, and bloody cut on my cheek.

" Train Station, please. I'm going to Chicago."

He gave me a wary look but nodded, pulling off and toward down town.

~~~~ six hours later~~~~~~~

31
32
33

Ah hah, 34 C.

I could hear music and voices from within the apartment as i stood in the hallway of a very fancy, most likely expensive apartment complex in Chicago.

" Fucker What??" a voice yelled. I heard laughter.

I looked down at the phone in my hands, the phone that had been ringing off the hook with calls from Nick. I haven't answered.

There was a pause, and i heard footsteps.

The door swng open, and the muffle dmusic was let out into the hallway.

Big blue eyes stared at mine, wide and shocked. They ran up and down my body, stopping at my face, which was covered in bruises and cuts.

" Josie, holy shit." Pat said, wrapping his arms around me gently. " What happened to you? How did you get here?"

I held back tears as i looked up at him.

" Pat,i need your help ." i whispered weakly.

His eyes hardened, and he wrapped an arm around me, using the other to grab my suitcase as he led me inside.

The party stopped.

The music still played, but the five or so people in Pat's apartment stopped talking, and stared at their friend who was leading a beat up little blonde girl through his apartment.