Status: Currently under revision.

Bruises On the Soul

Visitors and Relators.

When I woke up the next day, it was painful. 
Not because I was hungover, but because I was literally in pain. 
" Pat! Get off!!" I screamed. 
The blonde man just laughed, jumping on me again. 
I groaned, rolling over and curling up into a ball. 

" Whats your problem?" I gasped, holding my side. 

" You need to wake up. You have a visitor. " he said seriously. 
I opened one eye to glare at him. 
" What do you mean?" 

Pat but his lip, sighing," Just get out of bed, okay beanpole?"

I nodded slowly, and watched him get off me and leave. 

I groaned, pulling myself out of bed and into the bathroom, wincing when I turned on the light. 

" Ewww" I said at my reflection. 

My hair was the definition of bed head; messy and knotted. My skin was pale and sickly looking, and I had big bags under my eyes. 

Sexy, right?

I turned on the faucet, and ran my hands under the water before finger-combing my hair. 

I washed my face quickly and brushed my teeth. 

Good enough, I guess. 
Pulling on a robe I walked out into the hallway and down to the kitchen, and froze. 

There was a man standing there, leaning against the counter. He was tall and had light blonde hair, and blue eyes. He glanced to me and glared. 

" Hey Lars" I greeted pathetically, holding my sides. 

My brother walked towards me and sighed, holding my face in his hands and running his thumb over the remnants of my bruises, uncovered when I washed off my makeup. 

" They're healing well" he
Stated bluntly. 

I nodded quietly. 

" Who told you?" I asked, looking down. 

His face darkened," Mom. She called me. But I should have heard it from you. "

I opened my mouth to respond but he cut me off. 
" No! It never should have happened to begin with! How dare he?! What was Nick thinking, hurting you." he broke away, pacing,"I'm gonna kill him. I'm gonna-I'm gonna-"

" Lars. " I stopped him, making him turned to look at me. 

" It's over. It's done with. There's nothing left to do. I just want to move on. I just want to forget. Please. " 

My brother sighed, nodding. He gave me a quick hug, and missed the top of my head. 

He turned to Pat, who had been sitting at the table, watching and drinking coffee. 
" Thanks man, I owe you one. "

Patrick shrugged," She's my best girl, Lars. What was I supposed to do? Besides, if the bastard ever shows up she's got me and Jon to protect-"

" Who's Jon?" Lars asked harshly, steel blue eyes cutting into mine. 

I glared over at Pat. He looked sheepishly at me. 

" No one. Just one of Pat's team mates. Don't worry. I'm not gonna date for a long time. Trust me. " 

" Still. If he's gonna be around you, I need to meet him. " 

Pat and I shared a look, and just nodded. 

There was no arguing with Lars. 

" I'll call him" Pat whispered, getting up and taking his phone out onto the balcony.

" So...how are Peder and Olaf?" I asked. 

Lars sat down at the counter on a barstool. 

" Peder is almost done with school. Olaf is taking some rigorous math classes for his senior year. They're both fine. But you would know this if you ever came home. We miss you. "

My chest started to hurt and I held back some tears," Lars, you know I can't go back there-"

" Dad is different now. He's changed. "

I shook my head," No. People
Like that don't change. He'll never change."

He shrugged," Believe what you want to. But it's the truth"

I just looked away, fiddling with the gem of my black fluffy robe. 

It reminded me of the towel at Jon's house....

" I want you to come home, Josie. "

My eyes widened," Lars, no. I'm staying here in Chicago with Pat. I like it here, I have fr"

"Friends?" he cut me off, making me huff. 

He likes to do that 

Lars chuckled," You really think those guys want to be your friend? Jo- please. I'm a guy. I know now they think. And I don't want my baby sister being treated like a piece of meat. You're coming home."

" Wait, no, she can't leave. I want her to stay!" Pat interjected, hearing the end of our conversation as he came back in from the balcony. 

I looked up and saw his blue eyes frantic," Jo you can't go! Lars don't make her go. I've missed her so much. I just got her back. " Pat pleaded. 

I watched my brother ponder and weigh the options. 

It was quiet for a while, and in the meantime Patrick came and sat next to me at the table, wrapping his arms around me. 

Just like old times. 
Pat and Jo against the world. 

Or in this case- against Lars Sorensen. 

As Lars went to speak finally, the door clicked and swung open behind us. 

Jon stumbled in, out of breath and wearing black track pants and a gray long sleeve shirt with Nike shoes. 

" Hey guys" he panted," I ran here. Pat made it seem like an emergency....oh, who are you?" he gasped, hands on his knees. 

Pat rolled his eyes," Way to go, Capitano"

I got up and grabbed him a water bottle out of the fridge, handing it to him. 

" Thanks" he said, taking the drink and downing it quickly. 

" Im Josie's older brother, Lars. " 

Jon choked a little on his drink, looking over to me. 

I patted his back a bit. 
" You okay?"

He nodded, clearing his throat. 
Crossing the kitchen, he reached over and shook Lars's hand. 

" I'm Jonathan. Nice to meet you. "

I sat down again next to Pat who had stayed seated. 

" So what's going on?" Jon asked, sitting in the other side of me. 

Lars watched us critically. 
" I'm trying to decide about whether or not to allow Josie to stay in Chicago. "

" She has to stay!" he blurted out, shocking all if us. Chuckling nervously he corrected himself," I mean, we'd all miss her if she left." 

Pat and Lars discussed some options for a while. Jon and I just say there, waiting. 

He seemed nervous for some reason so I slipped my hand under the table to rest on his knee. 

He jumped. 
I rose an eyebrow, worried. 
" Are you okay?" I whispered. 
He nodded. 

" - seems like a good idea. We can do that. " My brother said, pulling me back into the conversation. 

I looked up," What? What's a good idea?"

Lars and Pat shared a look. 

" That you get your own apartment" Patrick explained warily, " he doesn't want you staying here. "

I bit my lip," So I can stay in Chicago if I move out?"

Lars nodded," Yes. "

Sighing, I shrugged," Uhm. Alright. I'll start looking. "

Patrick cheered, hugging me and Jon laughed, shaking his head. 

" Yay!" Pat cheered childishly, rocking me side to side," JosieBoo is staying!!"

Lara actually laughed as I glared at my best friend. 
" Don't.  Call.  Me. That" I seethed. 

Pat smirked, cackling. 
He turned and went into the other room, dialing who he said to be a realtor on his phone and Lars got up to use the bathroom. 

Alone, i leaned on Jon's side, suddenly tired. 

" Did you really run all the way here?" I asked. 

He nodded," I was already out for my morning run, so I just took a detour....your brother scares me. "

I giggled, looking up into his dark eyes," Why??" 

" I don't know. He just does. Then again, so does being in a room alone with you. "

That got me. 
" What do you mean?" I whispered, confused. 

Jon looked down at me softly, 
serious expression gone and replaced with a kinder one. 
" You make me nervous, Jo. But in a good way. Look, I, I feel-"

" I called my realtor. She's gonna meet with you in the morning. " Pat unknowingly interrupted. 

I frowned, nodding. 

What was Jon going to say?