Status: Currently under revision.

Bruises On the Soul

Starbucks and Chase cards

It's been a week since I first came to Chicago. 
And I've yet to even get out and look around. 

Pat was out doing things, I don't know what, so I was left all alone. 

I grabbed that same Sabres jacket of Pat's that I first stole a couple days ago, and zipped it up, taking my phone and slipping it in my pocket as I left the apartment. 

On the elevator ride down, I thought about my life, and all the things I can change. 

I'm tired of being afraid. 

After all of the abuse from my ex, both physical and emotional, I think it's time for me to stay single and figure out what's best for me. 

The ding woke me from my head as the doors opened, showing a bright, busy lobby. 

I stepped out, making my way through the front doors, and into the world. 

Chicago isn't that much different from Buffalo. 
There's traffic, and people yelling, and lots of noise. 

Sure Buffalo isn't as big, but it's the same in concept. 

It was almost comforting. 

I took a random chance and turned left, taking the sidewalk down in front of a couple boutiques, a car repair garage, a salon, and finally....

A Starbucks. 

Thank you Jesus. 

Coffee was my one true addiction- my vice. 

I've been without it for so long, that stepping into the warm building, smelling the aroma, made chills run down my spine. 

I stood in line, not bothering to look at the menu. 

I had it memorized. 

" Welcome to Starbucks! What can I get you?" a perky blonde in the green apron asked. 

I smiled," A grande pumpkin spice latte please, non fat. "

She typed some things into the computer and nodded, " that's gonna be $5.27" 

I reached into my pocket to pull out some money when I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw a blue Chase card slide across the counter. 

" I got it" the raspy voice was familiar...

I turned around to see Jonathan Toews in line behind me. 

When did he get there?

" Thank you" I spoke softly. 

He nodded. 

When the barista handed me my drink, I grabbed it and made my way to the other counter, pouring a little bit of creme into the latte. 

I made my way to the door, taking a long sip as I stepped outside back into the hectic crowd. 

" Josefine! Wait!"
I turned on my heels to see Jon leaving the building, waving me down with a cup in the other hand. 

I stopped walking, letting him catch up. 

" H-hey. Let me walk you back. You staying with Kaner?"

I nodded, eyeing him warily. 

He wore dark jeans and a red shirt under a brown leather jacket, white Pumas on his feet. 
Dark brown eyes looked into my blue ones. 
He looked handsome.  

" Josie" I spoke finally, after moment of silence as we walked back to the apartment. 

" What?" he asked, eyebrows pulling together. 

Ah, there's the Captain Serious expression I've been hearing about. 

I cleared my throat," You can call me Josie. Or Jo. Or Jos. Just not Josefine. Only my mother calls me that. "

He chuckled, nodding. 
" So Josie,how can you stand living with Kane? I mean, he's kind of crazy. "

I giggled, sipping my warm drink," I'm kind of immune to it. He's been this way since we were kids. We even had prank wars with my brothers"

He rose an eyebrow," How many brothers do you have?"

I blushed," Three. Peder is the oldest, he works for my father. Then there's Lars, he goes to law school. And then my baby brother Olaf. " 

" Are you Sweedish?Norwegian?" he inquired. 

I shook my head, tucking a piece of light blonde hair behind my ear. 

The apartment was within sight now. " Danish. Both my parents are from Copenhagen."

His eyebrows rose," That's cool. I'm just from Canada. Nothing special there. "

I laughed a bit. 
" Well, thanks for walking me here. And buying my latte. I appreciate it. "

He frowned," No problem. Kaner would kill me if anything happened to you on my watch."

I laughed," He always been protective. Almost as bad as Lars. "

Jon gave an awkward smile. 
" well, uh, bye. See you later"

I watched as he walked past me, down the sidewalk.  

What a strange, handsome man.