Status: Progressing

The Melancholy Tales of the Pearl-Tears

Realization

“The little cottage with the lit up window last night…” Annabel-Leigh trailed off, staring at the feathered-hair boy. She waited.

“Josephine.” Beau guessed, looking to the side.

“Yes, Beau, Josephine.” She leaned against the wall, falling slowly to the floor. “Beau, people are not evil. They just misunderstand. They do not like the strange and unusual. They are frightened by it.”

Beau sat down next to her. “You are sick.”

The girl looked over at him and smiled, “I am fine.”

“The little girl that lost her mother, that was saved by the fire, hated by her village, tortured by the ruthless boys, that has gone through tragedy after tragedy...” the boy searched the girl’s eyes, his moving along with hers, in rhythm.

“And yet,” he paused, “You do not give up.”

“I try to understand. I am one of them.”

“They do not think so,” Beau said darkly.

“But I am.” She stated simply. “Beau, you helped me in my time of need, you were there when I had no one. I want to be there for you now.”

He got up, dusting of his garments. He held out his hand, she took it. “You strong, foolish girl.” He said to her, pulling her close. He stroked her hair; he felt her shallow breaths on his chest. He held her tightly, closing his eyes. “You are fragile, yet strong. You are foolish, yet wise. You are everything I am not. I do not deserve you. I am a coward and I am filled with hate. You do not want to stay with me.”

She shook her head, pulling away from him. “Please, Beau.”

He laughed cruelly, shaking his head in disbelief, but he stopped short. A grand idea formed in his head, “We will run away.”

The girl stayed quiet. “I cannot leave Josephine and her mother.”

“They will come with us.”

She was uneasy, but she nodded her head. “Okay.”

***

The boy snuck out of his cave, leaving the girl sleeping soundly. He traveled down to the village, whistling softly, his smile was filled with malice.

In his hand he clutched seven of his feather-hairs. They pulsed and dripped over his talon-hands. He needed to do one last thing before he was satisfied with leaving this village once and for all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Close, close...