Searching

Chapter 12

“Is there something wrong? You have been acting different since I came to pick you up,” I told the woman that was sitting across from me. Her brown hair was in curls, her makeup only enhancing her beauty and not overpowering her face. She was also wearing a simple black dress that showed off her curves in a decent way. Krissy always looked lovely, no matter what she was wearing.

At the moment, I noticed how uneasy she looked. From when she would tap her fingers against the table and slightly pursing her lips as he gaze was towards the glass of water in front of her. These little things were a big impact on her, since she was always such a carefree person. Now she just looked completely vulnerable. Something happened, and it seemed like she wasn’t going to tell me what was wrong.

She gave a shake of her head, looking up at me with an apologetic smile. “I am sorry, I am just having an off day,” she told me, and I wasn’t buying it. Something else happened, I could see that it was gnawing at her.

A sigh escaped my lips, placing my hand on top of hers. She hesitated as she moved her hand to hold hand. “Tell me what is really wrong, Krissy. Something big happened, and it shows,” I told her. It wasn’t like me to pry, but it worried me. It had been bothering me this whole time ever since I picked her up from her apartment.

“I ran into someone today,” she finally started to say, her eyes looked around before looking upon me, “I ran into Jonathan.”

That made me let go of her hand for a moment, sitting back in the chair as I thought. Didn’t she have a restraining order against him? This bewildered me.

“He didn’t do anything to me, don’t worry,” she told me, reassuring that factor. That made me sigh in relief, holding her hand again. “I am going to go to court tomorrow to see if I can file another restraining order, but he told me that they aren’t going to renew it.”

I just nodded my head, not wanting to talk about the subject anymore. That man made my blood boil, even if I have never met him before. The stories that she told me made me hate him. He was a no good man. For a man to hit a woman was low and highly disrespectful. It seemed like men in this era didn’t have respect for women like we did in the past. It was slightly sickening.

She was about to say something, but I cut her off before she could. “Let’s not worry about it, and we will take care of it first thing tomorrow,” I told her, and lifted her hand to kiss the back of it gently. “I don’t want him going near you again.”

She gave me a slight smile. “Thank you, Steve, for being here for me,” she told me.

“I will always be here for you,” I told her, a smile on my face, “Now, let’s forget about it and have a nice dinner with no distractions.”

She saluted me with her free hand, sending a wink my way. “Yes sir,” she teased, and a laugh came from her lips.

Even if we were having a good night, it still bothered me that her ex-boyfriend was going to be near her.

---

The next morning I went to her house after she called me to tell me that she was awake, getting ready to leave to the courthouse. When I neared her complex, I noticed a man standing there. That made me raise a brow in question, finding it strange that he was standing there with his hands in his pockets, standing as if he was waiting for someone. As I walked myself to the gate, he looked at me.

“Oh, aren’t you Captain America?” he asked, making me stop for a moment before I entered a passcode to get inside the complex.

“Yes, what of it?” I questioned, getting a strange vibe from this man. When I took a closer look at him, my brain started to connecting things together. His physical appearance matched the description that Krissy told me. That was when I got defensive. “Jonathan, is it?”

He looked shocked, but then cooly shrugged his shoulders. “Yeah, that’s me, Krissy’s ex,” he told me in a calm matter. That irked me. Why would he be there waiting for her to come out? “Coming to pick her up?”

Taking a step towards him, I grabbed him by his shirt. This was completely out of character for me, but I had to make sure that he knew who he was messing with. “Look, I don’t want to see you around her, you got it?” I stated, more than asked. He had no reason to poking himself around where she was.

“Steve?” I heard her voice ask, making me let go and take a step back from the guy. “Jonathan, why the hell are you here?” I looked to her as she walked out of the gate, closing it behind her. She walked up to stand beside me, glaring at her ex-boyfriend. This has been the most hostile I have seen her get.

“I am just about to leave, your boyfriend wants me to,” he stated, taking a few steps back. “He seems like a catch, Krissy.” He nodded his head towards her, and then to me. My eyes narrowed as he smirked before he left, walking down the street with his hands in his pockets.

I clenched my fists, but Krissy placed her hand on mine. That made me relax, holding her hand and I looked down at her. She gave me a smile, which I returned before looking to where Jonathan last was. I had a feeling that this was going to be a tough battle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the lovely comments, you lovely readers!

So, I already written up to the last chapter of this.
Chapter 15 is the last chapter.

I might write a sequel, but that is if I can create something for it.

Three more to go, fellow readers.

I am highly thinking about making a Clint Barton, aka Hawkeye, story. That is in my head.

Love you guys. <3