Status: WARNING: Updates are slow right now, so please, if you subscribe and stick with this story, just bear with me.

He Never Told Me What He Did for a Living

Chapter Twenty Seven

Gran had left me the house in her will, and while I was grateful, I’d rather have her in its place. Gran was what had made this house a home to me, and without her, it stood as a skeleton, a lonely reminder of someone who once stood here.

Still, it was mine, and I used my key to unlock the door. A month had passed, and I hadn’t changed a thing- I couldn’t bring myself to do it. A pang cut through my chest, the same one I have felt every day since I lost her. Gerard and Angel had been here for me as long as they could, but Gerard had a tour to finish and Angel had her own life going on. I understood that they couldn’t drop everything for me, even if a selfish part of me did want them here next to me.

A new white envelope lay on the floor where it had fallen from the mail slot in the door. My chest expanded in hope of some sort of correspondence from Gerard. I picked it up and flipped it over, the red block lettering glaring at me angrily. My hopes deflated and sighing, I added it to the top of a growing stack. Gran might’ve left me the house, but I’d inherited the bills to keep it running, and they were piling up faster than I could handle.

I walked further into the house, heading for the kitchen, where I dropped my backpack and slunk into a chair at the dining table. I needed a job. And not just any job- one that I could pay bills with.
I tugged my jacket tighter around my body and bowed my head against the cruel wind beating against me. It threatened to rip the newspaper with its circled want ads from where it was clutched tightly in my hands. So far, I’d had no luck finding a job, but I had a few more names on the list, one in particular that promised better wages than the rest.

It looked fancy, and it was fancy- it was a place celebrities would and often did dine. It would be quite the commute for me, but it would be worth it. Opening the heavy wooden doors, a wave of warmth comforted me, and I loosened the scarf around my neck. A hostess in pressed black slacks and a white button up shirt with a black skinny tie greeted me. “Welcome. How may I help you?”

I smiled at the genuine warmth of her voice. “Hi. I’m here about the job ad In the newspaper.”

A smile broke across her face. “Finally!” she exclaimed, then looked me over quickly, murmuring to herself as she did. Finally, she came back to face me. “I think you’ll be perfect for the job, but let me get a manager up here to interview you officially,” she said, and that spark of hope tried to flare up again. Already knowing better, I squashed it back down.

“That would be great. Thank you,” I said.

“I’ll be just a moment,” she said, making her way back to the hostess station and picking up a shiny black phone. When she hung up the phone, she smiled again. “You can have a seat, Ms…” she said, trailing off since we hadn’t exchanged names yet.

“Scott. My name is Josie Scott,” I said.

“Josie, then. It’s nice to meet you. I’m Amelia.”

The wait passed by slowly, although it had only been five minutes since Amelia had told me a manager would be here soon for an interview. I’d watched her work in those five minutes, greeting every customer as warmly as she’d greeted me, checking her seating charts and gathering menus and silverware, all while making conversation with the guests, who all seemed to be dressed in clothes that were worth more than my overdue bills cost.

Finally, a woman dressed in a blue dress and black high heels approached the front with a clipboard. Even without the heels, she would’ve been a tall woman, but with them she seemed to be all legs. Her flaming red hair flowed down her back neatly, as if it didn’t dare tangle or lay in any other way. She was all business as she briskly approached Amelia at the hostess station. They spoke for a moment, then Amelia gestured to me. “Josie,” she said, “this is our manager, Jessica. Jessica, meet Josie Scott.”

Jessica shook my hand in greeting, then guided me into the dining room. A table for two in the corner already had a small stack of paperwork on it, and I wasn’t surprised when she guided me to that one.
“So, Josie, Amelia tells me you’re here for a job,” she said, getting right to the point. She crossed her legs and jotted my name down on the paper on her clipboard.

“Yes ma’am,” I said, feeling a little intimidated.

“Call me Jessica, please. Now, do you have any work experience at all?”

“No ma’am- I mean, No, Jessica,” I stammered.

Jessica only nodded. “And you’re how old?”

“Eighteen,” I answered.

“Good, good. Now, how flexible will your schedule be?”

“Well, I’m finishing high school this year. I’ll only have four classes from now until May. So after noon on weekdays, but I’m free on the weekends.”

“Those hours are fantastic for this place,” Jessica said, writing down my schedule on the paper. “But you have no experience, which could be a problem. How about we start you out training up front with Amelia as a hostess and see how you do?”

It took a moment to sink in. “Wait- you mean you’ll hire me?!” I asked incredulously.

Jessica smiled softly at my excitement. “Yes, Josie. The job is yours. Show me how fast you learn the hostess position and you’ll be waiting tables before you know it.”

“Oh my God, thank you! Thank you, you won’t regret it, I promise. When can I start?”

Jessica uncrossed her legs and stood, gathering up her paperwork. “Why don’t you come to the back with me and we’ll get you started now, if you’re free?”

The only thing I could do was nod.

I’d accomplished the first step toward living life on my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this chapter sat at the bottom of my story file with only a two sentence start, as it had been for several months. Until tonight. Tonight, I just opened it and was able to start writing and didn't stop until I felt i had to.

So yes, it's short and a sort of a filler chapter, but a very important one. It's all about hope- Josie's hope that things will start looking up and that maybe, just maybe, a life without Gran is possible. Gerard is in the back seat for this chapter, because this will be about Josie for a while- she's got quite a journey to go on, and a lot of healing to do.

Musical inspiration for this chapter: Big Girls Cry by Sia Big girls cry when their hearts are breaking.

And speaking of crying, I'm expecting a very important cry in August...the cry of a new baby, that is. The hubby, the big sister-to-be, and I are very excited :)