Status: WARNING: Updates are slow right now, so please, if you subscribe and stick with this story, just bear with me.

He Never Told Me What He Did for a Living

Chapter Seven

Angel was over in a jiffy, bringing with her several pieces of clothing. She hugged me tightly, nearly knocking me out with her hanging garment bag. “I’m so glad you’re going to meet your Mystery Guy!” she squealed.

I smiled softly and looked at the time. “Angel, let’s get busy. We’ve only got an hour and a half to do this.”

“Right!” she exclaimed, then released me. Spinning me around slowly, she murmured to herself then nodded. “First things first- go take a shower.”

I obeyed, and walked upstairs. I rolled my eyes as I heard her yell up the stairs “Make sure you shave!”

Fifteen minutes later, I was standing in front of Angel in nothing but a robe and wet hair. I looked on in horror as she pulled out various hair accessories, including a curling iron. I’d never in my life curled my hair before. When she saw my worried expression, she smiled and said “Trust me.”

She set to work brushing my hair out, then applied mousse and blow dried my hair. She then plugged up the curling iron, and while it was heating up, she ordered me to get dressed. I eyed the clothes on the bed. She’d brought a bra with matching underwear, both with the tags still on them. I raised an eyebrow when I noted that they were both in my size. Nevertheless, I put them on. I didn’t know whether to be amazed or horrified to discover that the bra was a push-up, which made my minimal cleavage look to be at least a C cup. The outfit consisted of black skinny jeans and a dark red sweater with a scooped neckline.

So far, I had to admit that the image in the mirror looked pretty damn good. Angel peeked around the door and whistled. “Damn, girl, you look amazing!”

“Thanks,” I said as she gestured for me to sit back down. She fastened a cape around my neck, ‘just in case,’ she explained. I relaxed as she went to work with the curling iron, followed by the make-up.

“Okay, you can look now, Josie!” she said. The excitement in her voice was unmistakable.
If I had been stunned before by the clothes, I was doubly stunned now. I hardly looked like myself. My hair fell about my shoulders in soft waves, and my make-up was flawless. “Angel…this is amazing!” I said excitedly. “Thank you so much!”

She waved her hand. “Hold on, you gotta put on your boots for the full effect!” she said, then handed over a pair of black boots with a wedge heel. After tugging them on, I stood an inch or so taller than my usual five foot four, and I agreed with Angel- they brought the whole outfit together.
I threw my arms around her, nearly in tears over my transformation, even if it was only for one night. “Careful, Josie, you’ll smudge your liner,” she warned with a smile. “Now, I called you a cab already. He already has the address, so you don’t even have to worry about anything.”

Two loud honks sounded outside, and I swallowed. “Thanks Angel!” I threw yet another thank-you over my shoulder as I raced outside to the cab. The cabbie nodded at me approvingly, and I shivered in excitement as I closed the door.

On the drive over, I did my best to slow my breathing, but nothing I tried worked. When the cab slowed to a stop and the cabbie said “This is your stop, lady,” I stopped breathing altogether. Smiling nervously at the cabbie, I handed the money and got out. I watched as he drove off, and then wiped my sweaty palms on my pants.

Turning around, my heart stopped. I was standing in front of a cemetery. This couldn’t be right. I pulled the note from my pocket and re-read it. 800 Freemont Ave. The street sign proclaimed that yes, indeed, this was Freemont Avenue, and I was indeed standing in front of number 800, which was Freemont Cemetery.

When my heart resumed beating, it beat slowly, as if it had been defeated. I looked around for my cab but it was already gone and I had no cell phone. I had been right. Gerard had been right. This was nothing but a joke. And like the fool I’d said I wouldn’t be, I’d fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Tears began to trickle down my face against my will, and I was so wrapped up in my misery that I didn’t see the obvious coming. A big flash caused me to see black spots for a moment, and by the time my vision cleared, all I could make out in the darkness was a handful of figures running towards a car. I heard a girl giggling before the vehicle sped off, and I wondered how she could have let someone do such a cruel thing. I wasn’t popular, but I hadn’t deserved this either. I’d been caught on film. The picture would surface at school, and I’d be the laughingstock. Even Angel wouldn’t be caught dead with me, much less Gerard.

A car screeched to a halt a few feet away from me, and I stopped walking until I recognized Gerard getting out of the vehicle. I ran towards him, nearly falling as I reached for him. He wrapped his arms around me tightly, holding me as I cried into his chest. “I’m so sorry, Josie. I wish I could’ve prevented this.”

When the tears had slowed, he helped me into the car and drove me home. “Where’s Angel?” I hiccupped.

“She had to be home by a certain time, but she’s very upset. She’s sworn to extract revenge on the dirt bags that did this to you. She also said for me to tell you that she’s sorry she talked you into this.”

I sniffled. “It wasn’t her fault. I should’ve listened to you,” I admitted.

Gerard snorted and shook his head. “I could’ve been nicer about explaining why it wasn’t a good idea to come tonight. Then, maybe you woulda listened instead of getting out of the car,” he said, and I could tell he was beating himself up about this.

I shrugged, even though I knew he couldn’t see it in the darkness. “It’s not your fault. You couldn’t have known what the plan was.”

After that, there was nothing to say, and we rode the rest of the way in silence.

At home in my room, I sat down on the bed, my hands trembling. I was strong. Downstairs, Gerard and Gran were talking, and I could only imagine what about. The mumbling voices of Gerard and Gran stopped, and now someone was knocking on the door. I hastily wiped at my face, checking for tears. My hands found no wetness.

"Come in." I called.

The door slowly creaked open and Gerard peeked in.

"Hey. Your grandma sent me up with some cookies." he gestured to the plate.

"You could come all the way in, you know." I said, since he was still standing in the doorway.

His cheeks colored slightly but he came in, closing the door behind him. He crossed over to the bed and sat next to me, offering the plate of cookies. We each took one and ate in silence. “Gran thinks cookies can fix anything,” I said with a small laugh.

"Maybe," he said, chewing thoughtfully.

We ate our cookies in silence for a moment before he spoke again. “I’m sorry you’re hurting.”

I sighed and looked over at Gerard. “Me, too. It wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t have that picture of me,” I explained. “If there was no proof, I could get over it. Now, when that picture gets out, I’ll never live it down.” Bending down, I unzipped my boots and kicked them off, then pulled my legs up on the bed to sit Indian-style.

"That’s shitty,” Gerard said. “As if humiliating you wasn’t enough- they had to have proof of it.”

“Yeah…how come it seems like we’ve known each other for years?”

"Funny, isn't it?"

"Yeah. You're my first real friend."

"Ooohhhh! You said the F- word!"

"I did."

Gerard’s gaze met mine intensely, and I felt something like fire burning under my skin, making my blood boil. His face was flushed, and I could feel his warm cookie-scented breath fanning my face, caressing my lips.His finger came up and traced my jaw, his thumb caressed my cheek. Gerard was moving closer, and I was feeling something like lust bubbling under the surface. It was so wrong but it felt so right.

Then I was attacking him. I felt as if I was outside of my body or watching someone else do this. I watched my hands take a life of their own and cradle his head as my lips touched his. I watched (and felt) as he responded by twisting his fingers in my hair.

I gasped for air and crushed myself against him and his arms encircled my waist, pulling me into his lap. His hands rested on my hips, teasing at the hem of my t-shirt.

He broke away and buried his face in my neck.

"Josie, we can't do this. It's wrong."

"Then I apologize for attacking you." But I'm not sorry at all, I added silently.

"Don't apologize. I would do it over again-but I’m too old, Josie."

"Then where do we go from here? I mean, that is gonna be hard to overlook…”

Gerard licked his lips nervously. “I…I don’t know, Josie. I feel like I’ve taken advantage of you, in your vulnerable state,” he admitted.

For the second time that night, tears blurred my vision. I turned my head as my lower lip began to tremble. Gerard’s strong hand reached out and he turned my face back towards his. “I’m sorry, again,” he said as he wiped my tears away. “I should go, before I mess things up again.”

I touched his hand. “Please stay?” I asked, pleading with my eyes. For a long moment, I thought he might say no.

But then, his face took on the look of defeat, and I knew I’d get my way. No pun intended.

“Alright, fine. But first, I’m making sure it’s okay with your Gran,” I nodded in agreement, knowing she wouldn’t mind because she trusted us both.

While he went downstairs to ask, I proceeded to take off my smeared make-up and traded my ‘date’ clothes for a black tank and pink and black boxer shorts. I was snuggling up beneath my blankets when Gerard walked back in, closing the door behind him. For the first time, I noticed he was wearing a pair of black sweatpants and a plain tee shirt. He caught my gaze and said, “What? I’m not allowed to wear comfortable clothes?”

I just laughed and patted the bed beside me. “Are you a cuddler?” I asked.

He raised an eyebrow and smiled crookedly. “Maybe. But I will be on top of the blankets, alright? I won’t allow you to take advantage of me,” he said, wagging his finger at me.

I laughed again and clicked the lamp off, allowing the darkness to fall over the room. I smiled as I felt the bed sink under his weight, and it struck me that I should find it odd that a nearly thirty year old man was sharing a bed with an eighteen year old girl. But I didn’t. In fact, I found it the opposite of odd- it was comforting to me. I’d expected things with Gerard to be a little awkward after a kiss like that; instead, we’d moved past it swiftly, as if it never happened. But I knew I’d never forget it.
♠ ♠ ♠
After this chapter, updates will slow slightly, as I've hit a snag in rewriting, but I will get this finished.

Also, I'm proud to announce that I am the co-author of a wonderful new story here on Mibba, Love Isn't Always Fair. It features fantastic original characters, Andy Six and Jinxx from Black Veil Brides, Dahvie Vanity and Jayy Von Monroe from Blood On The Dance Floor. So, if you're a fan of either of those bands, definitely check it out and leave some feedback for us!

Happy reading,

Rat Head