Sequel: The New Generation

Sherlock's Girl

Going home

They arrived at Baker Street a little after 6. Sapphire was asleep on Sherlock's lap. He carefully moved himself from under her, then lifted her up and carried her through the door of 221B, while Mycroft's driver followed behind with Sapphire's things placing them at the bottom of the stairs before leaving.

At the top of the stairs Sherlock hesitated briefly before opening the door, to find John and Mrs Hudson sitting in the chairs in front of the fireplace. Nothing had been moved since Sherlock had last been in the flat. He place Sapphire on the sofa, covered her with a blanket, before properly looking at the pair, his friends, the people he faked his own death to protect.

"So it's true then." Mrs Hudson said, tears streaming down her face. Sherlock nodded, too scared to say anything yet. "Well I am glad Sherlock, because I missed your mess." She announced as she broke into a smile.

"I thought you weren't my house keeper." Sherlock laughed. He ran over to Mrs Hudson and hugged her. As she burst into tears. They broke apart from this embrace with a small smile on both of their faces. Sherlock turned to John, who was staring at the figure laid on the sofa.

"Who is she?" John's tone was uneasy as he said this, staring at Sherlock.

"Her name is Sapphire, John, she is an orphan. She ran away from the orphanage and was living in Vauxhall Arches." Sherlock replied, hoping this was enough for John.

"Okay. But why is she here Sherlock?" John was now staring at Sapphire with fear in his eyes. 'He thinks I have abducted her, and love her like a partner' Sherlock concluded in his mind.

"John it isn't what you think. She is her to live with us. Hence why I will decorate 221C, so she can have her own room. I am adopting her john. Mycroft is handling the paperwork." Sherlock said, trying to reassure his friend.

"Adoption! Are you mad! When did you meet this girl? It can't have been more than 3 days ago because you have only been "dead" for 4 days! And Mycroft is allowing this!" John shouted.

Sherlock lost his temper, "John I couldn't leave her! She was alone! She had no one! Besides she is me! John! Don't you see! I didn't want to see her being ignored like I was as a child! I saw myself in her! So I don't care what you say John! She is staying whether you like it or not!"

"Boys keep the noise down, you will wake the poor thing!" said Mrs Hudson, who was looking at the girl sleeping on the sofa. Sapphire had stirred in her sleep.

"John you will see what I mean when you talk to her tomorrow, but for now let her sleep. In fact we all need sleep." Sherlock turned to retire to his room, turning around to look once more at Sapphire then Mrs Hudson and John, "Good night" he said before disappearing into his room.

The next morning Sapphire woke early, she wasn't on the usual hard concrete, but instead on the sofa in Sherlock's living room. "Sherlock's flat" Sapphire assumed. She got up quietly until she found the front door. She needed to get out and get some fresh air. She tried to open it, but the door was locked. That was it sapphire couldn't deal with the idea of being trapped. Putting full force behind her actions, she started pulling at the door, screaming with all her might at the same time.

With this Sherlock came running down the stairs jumping the last few, he wrapped his arms around Sapphire, brought her to the ground and sat on the floor rocking her in his arms.

"Sapphire, calm! It's okay. Everything is fine." With this Sapphire stopped screaming and burst into tears.

"It was locked Sherlock. The door was locked. I couldn't breathe." She cried.

"Shhh its fine. Everything is okay." Sherlock was lost in what to do in this sort of situation. John had made it down the stairs by now. He looked at the pair on the floor, he wanted to help Sherlock but he hadn't been formally introduced to the girl. So now was the time he decided.

"Sapphire." The girl slowly looked at him, her eyes filled with tears. "Hello Sapphire. I am John. John Watson." He offered his hand towards her.

"Hello Doctor. You must be the friend Sherlock went to visit yesterday. He must have told you then that he was still alive." Sapphire commented. She took John's hand shaking it gently. John gave a look of surprise at Sherlock, who just smiled and uttered 3 words.

"Not a word." Sherlock chuckled. John helped the poor girl up, and then with John leading and Sherlock following behind, they guided Sapphire back up the stairs. John went straight into the kitchen, to make tea.

"Breakfast Sapphire?" Not bothering to ask Sherlock knowing the answer would be no. Sapphire looked up from her place on the sofa, looked up at John and kindly said, "No thank you, I ate a sandwich yesterday. I am good for a while." With this statement she broke into a smile. John looked at Sherlock who was sat in his chair by the fireplace, chuckling behind his newspaper.

"Another Sherlock trait she pocesses. It is not healthy for her." John thought but decided not to comment out loud. John was now starting to see why Sherlock had brought her back with him; she brought out the good in him.

"John. Go get milk! We need milk!" Sherlock shouted from the living room.

"Why don't you go Sherlock?" John asked.

"I am busy. But you can take my card." Sherlock said. "Okay." John thought. "Maybe not all the good, but something was better than nothing." John grabbed his coat and Sherlock's card. Off he went to buy milk. It was nice to have Sherlock home.