Sequel: The New Generation

Sherlock's Girl

The Client

The next morning John, Sherlock and Sapphire were sitting drinking tea while Mrs Hudson was running around downstairs. John had decided to stay at home for the rest of the week and return to work, once he was sure Sherlock and Sapphire had settled.

The morning went off to a slow start, but at 11 the doorbell rang, with maximum pressure applied to the bell for less than a second. In simple terms, client. Mrs Hudson from downstairs let the person in, telling them where to go. "Straight up the stairs dear."

"Thank you" replied the voice. A feminine voice, so the client was a woman. Soft footsteps slowly climbed the stairs. When they reached the top, the feet paused. Sherlock stared at the door with anticipation; two small knocks were cast on the door.

"Come in" Sherlock commented, he wasn't blinking. The door slowly opened. Behind the door stood a woman of about 5ft 10" long blonde hair, dressed in a smart business suit, Middle aged, about the same age as John, Sherlock conclued as the woman hesitated in the door way.

"Come and sit down already." Sherlock said, as he gestured to the seat opposite him next to the fire place. The woman slowly passed the living room, passing Sapphire who was sat on the sofa reading, too engaged in the story to glance at the stranger. The woman took a seat opposite Sherlock, taking in her surroundings as she lowered herself into the seat.

"So what do you need my assistance with, Miss? Umm?" Sherlock asked.

"Morstan, Evelyn Morstan. I assume you are Mr Sherlock Holmes?" Evelyn said looking at Sherlock.

Sherlock was disappointed; his death had been in the papers only four days ago. Yet the woman in front of him didn't seem bothered by the fact he was in the room, alive and breathing. Sherlock sighed, "So it is true, no one reads the papers".

"Yes I am. And this is John Watson." Pointing to John in the kitchen. "But you haven't answered my question." On this John decided, that he should keep an eye on Sherlock. So made his way from the kitchen, and stood behind Sherlock, ready to stop him if he got out of hand.

"Well, Mr Holmes. I returned from this morning after my late shift at the..."

"Hospital. Yes, okay skip the boring details and get to what happened." Sherlock interrupted.

Evelyn was quite shocked at the way he was speaking to her. "Umm. Well I returned from work, to find that my flat had been broken into..."

Sherlock rose from his seat. "Okay, I have heard enough. Thank you for coming Miss Morstan, but home break ins are not my problem. They are problems for the police to deal with. That is what they are there for. They are not for wasting my time. Good bye." Sherlock said, pointing towards the door.

Evelyn remained in her seat, looking confused and a little annoyed. "Mr Holmes! This is not your average break in! If you had let me finish, you would know that nothing had been taken, but my flat was a mess. The only thing the robber did other than mess up my flat was, leave a note of my coffee table. And I mean literally on my coffee table." Sherlock had sat back down at this point; he was listening intensively, with his hands together in front of him.

"What did this note say?" Sherlock asked, without moving.

Evelyn rummaged in her bag and pulled out a photo. "The note said. "Find Sherlock"", Evelyn said handing Sherlock the photo. Sherlock looked at it and recognised the writing. The wording may have been different but the smiley face in the "O" gave it away. John also glanced at the photo, taking slightly longer to realise who had written the note, than Sherlock had. The pair looked at each other, and muttered the same word, at the same time, "Moriarty!"

Sapphire noticed the concern in men's voices. "Sherlock? John? What is wrong?"

Sherlock snapped out of his trance, "Nothing Sapphire." Sherlock lied.

Sapphire glared at Sherlock, "Don't lie to me! You know it doesn't work!"

Sherlock cursed in his head. Momentarily he had forgotten the girl's mind and observation skills. "It is just someone me and John know checking something. It is nothing to worry about." Sapphire looked at him. "Sapphire could you go down stairs for a bit, while John and I talk to Miss Morstan?"

Sapphire remained where she was, shaking her head. "I don't want to. I want to help."

Sherlock rolled his eyes, "Please Sapphire!"

Sapphire sighed and admitted defeat. "Okay, I will go. This once! I am helping next time." Sapphire turned around and stormed down the stairs. Sherlock didn't continue until he heard Mrs Hudson talking to Sapphire.

Evelyn looked at John and Sherlock, "So you seem to know the person that broke into my flat..." Sherlock looked at Evelyn for the first time in minutes.

"Yes we do he is an old acquaintance of ours." He said. John stood behind Sherlock, looking at the floor. He was too worried to look at either of them. Sherlock looked at John and Evelyn. It seemed he had made up his mind on what he was going to do.

"Do you mind leaving us for a while, Miss Morstan? And meeting us again back here at about 4-ish this afternoon?" Sherlock asked.

Evelyn looked at him and nodded, "Umm... sure. I will return here by 4 this afternoon. Thank you for your help gentlemen."

Evelyn turned to leave. "Miss Morstan. Could you please not tell anyone that you have seen us?" Sherlock asked. She looked at Sherlock.

"Of course." She said. With that she left and walked down the stairs and left closing the door quietly behind her.