Status: Discontinued [2018]

A Promise

Prologue

The silence echoed throughout the night. A loud cry pierced the darkness and broke the silence. It stirred everything up. Animals. Humans. More noises filled the air, leaving nothing to silence that night as the stars sparkled.

“You have a darling baby girl, ma'am,” the midwife said, curling a blanket around the crying girl. She walked over to the exhausted woman glancing down at her. She wondered if the mother would hold her child or sleep it off. “Ma'am?” Reaching out, the midwife shook the woman, rousing her from sleep. Looking up at the dark eyed midwife, the woman blinked her brown eyes, staring at the woman holding her child. She remembered slowly that she had a child, a daughter.

Gesturing for the others to help her sit up, she propped herself against the headboard with pillows behind her. The woman sighed with effort, glancing at her baby. “Give her here.” The midwife smiled softly before handing over the wailing baby. The child slowly stopped crying as the mother rocked her back and forth, humming a tune. The tune drifted through the room, calming everyone within hearing distance.

All of the women smiled, watching the touching scene before them. That was until the door slammed open. Standing in the door way was a tall man, hair slicked back with grease. His dark eyes scanned the room, falling on the woman and the midwife still beside her. “No. Please,” she begged, knowing what was going to happen now. “Please, don't.” The man paid no attention to her, pulling the child from the woman's hands. Glancing at the baby girl, his scowl never left his face. If anything it became more pronounced, deepening as time goes on.

“She will do her duty.” The woman gasped, knowing what that meant for her as he handed the child back. The man walked out of the room, slamming the door shut. The baby started crying, but the tearful woman shushed her, humming the tune once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I know. I'm posting this again. This is the edited version. Basically there are some major changes grammatically and some changes in the story.

I hope you enjoyed it. Please give me feedback. I would appreciate it. :)