Status: Discontinued [2018]

A Promise

Chapter Fourteen

Truth

Lorenzo looked at Butcher and the rest of the crew. He knew the news was sudden and even frightening, but they had to deal with it. They had to know that Tom and Alice were not coming back. They were either dead or not returning because they caught the eye of someone powerful. And that they were going after Grace, wherever she may be. “Are you goin' ta ask fo' help?” Butcher asked, knowing it might be the only way. They had no idea where to start. She just disappeared into the ocean, leaving no trace they could follow.

The captain just didn't want to ask for anything. He didn't want to ask his mother for a favor, especially when she basically estranged from him and his father. “Not until I have no other choice.” Butcher sighed. He knew Lorenzo didn't want to ask for help, but this was beyond them. He knew it too. They could do only so much. They were mortal.

“Cap'n. We be helpless 'ere.” Lorenzo turned to the bow, watching as the ocean sprawled out in front of them. Lorenzo knew his First Mate's words were true. They didn't know where to start. And they didn't know who to ask. “Askin' a seer could give us som' insight,” Butcher offered as an alternative to asking someone Lorenzo really did not want to talk to. His mother. “I know one close by.”

Lorenzo looked at Butcher from the corner of his eye. Butcher leaned on the bulwark, staring at the blue of the ocean. It rolled and tumbled as they cut through it. The wake the ship was creating was large and running out to the sides, disappearing back into the ocean.

“Very well,” the Captain said. He hated going to “seers” or “shamans” because they usually were charlatans and scammed money from people. Or they were pretending, to get attention. “Where is this seer?” His dark gaze turned to his friend. Butcher stood and smiled. “What are you getting me into?” he questioned as Butcher headed to the helm, taking over for the young male that joined their crew not long ago.

Lorenzo followed, waiting for an answer that he knew would not come. Butcher wasn't going to give him anything. Not now.

The two stayed silent as the ship turned to the east, drifting farther and farther away from land. It was just a strip before disappearing altogether. They sailed out into open waters, going where Butcher said. Even though Lorenzo was anxious and pacing the poop deck behind Butcher. Lorenzo just wanted to save Grace. Alice was already lost. She had chosen her path. She stayed with Macantecohl and his people. She had chosen power and luxury over freedom. Or rather, that was her freedom, the freedom to do what she wanted and without any complaints. She wouldn't have work for anything she wanted; all she had to do was ask.

Then the captain paused in his wearing down the wood and turned to the back of the man that was steering the ship. “Why did the king say that he would kill you?” Lorenzo knew Butcher had a bad past because he said so and when Lorenzo picked him up, she said so.

Butcher didn't answer. Not right away. He stiffened and let the currents steer the ship for a moment before correcting the heading quickly. “Do ya 'ave ta ask now?” His voice was tight, deepening with each word.

“Is it that bad?” Lorenzo stepped up to his side, glancing at the burlier man. “We all have our past we care to forget.” Butcher gave him a look. “Very well.” Lorenzo smirked. “Not all of us.” Butcher chuckled as he turned the helm to the left. Lorenzo glanced out to the sea. Before them was an out-shoot of land. It seemed to reach out before curling away.

The stoic male sighed. “Ya always 'ave been a good f'iend. Please just tis once, leave it be.” Butcher did not want to talk about his past when Grace was not here. He wanted her to know as well. She would understand and possible accept him after the news he would bring. Lorenzo would probably brush it off, leaving it in the past. Sometimes it was better to have the comforting hand then the one that would brush it off. Butcher missed Grace already and she hadn't even been gone for more than a few hours.

Slowly the ship made progress down south and then more east as if heading to an island or the other side of the world. Lorenzo didn't know which Butcher was going for. He stayed silent and let the man steer the ship where he wanted. Instead, Lorenzo looked at the waters below, watching the waves go by, wondering if Grace was beneath them once again. He hoped it wasn't too late, but he wanted to tell her so much.

Dolphins popped up, breaking the surface of the water close to the ship, jumping when they felt like it. The men took it as a good sign. They shouted and cheered, but Lorenzo couldn't bring out even a fake cheerfulness. He hadn't known he depended on Grace's calm presence so much until she was gone. Butcher was at the helm, looking more free than ever. He had a smile on his lips as if he broke some chain around him, leaving his soul free and unburdened. While Lorenzo felt worse than ever. He would never admit, but he was moping, hoping Grace was with the dolphins and would just appear before him.

“Cap'n, get som' rest.” Butchers voice pierced the heaviness around the captain, bringing him back from the storm cloud he created for himself. “I'll call ya when we get the'e.” Lorenzo ran a hand through his stiff, salt encrusted black hair. He needed a bath.

“I can't,” Lorenzo mumbled. He feared his dreams would bring about all the things he had done and to Grace either unknowingly or knowingly. He was berating himself for not seeing she was a nymph before. All the signs were there and at one moment he had seen something else around her, another form, but still he denied the truth. Somewhere in his mind, he had wanted it to not be true. He wanted her to just be normal so he didn't have to give her up. Since she was the one that they were looking for to pay off their debt. But that left him feeling horrible. She was the price he had to pay to return his debt to the person that had saved him.

“Don't worry, Cap'n.” Lorenzo glanced back at his First Mate, wondering what could be on his mind. “We'll get he' back.” He sighed as he walked away, down to his quarters. He didn't need the crew to see him like he was at the moment. They might take it as a bad sign, even with the good sign of the dolphins swimming along their ship. No. He couldn't let them see the distraught face of his.

He got in his quarters, looking around it, wondering what he should do. Within those walls, he could pretend everything was all right that he was sailing the seas on an adventure, going to stop at the next friendly port to resupply and make a woman's night. But as he stood there, the woman that he would indulge in throughout the night morphed into Grace's sad face, disappointed in him. Opening his eyes, he stared out the porthole, wanting to have Grace back if for nothing else to get rid of the guilt he felt. Lorenzo couldn't relax as he sat down at his desk, looking over the papers that litter the surface. Papers that told him everything he needed to know and how long they could go before resupplying.

He sifted through them, realizing they would have to stop and gather food and clean water once they see the Seer. They didn't have enough for any sort of long journey. A few days if they kept eating as the usually did. If they rationed things more, they could get a week.

Setting the papers down, he rubbed his eyes, wishing he could get some sleep since he hadn't had any proper sleep for the last day and a half. He leaned back in his chair, staring up at the ceiling, willing the time to pass faster, but it never did and would never listen to him.

Grumbling curses beneath his breath, he stripped himself of unnecessary layers and weapons, flopping on his bed and closing his eyes, thinking about how much he wanted to sleep. But it wasn't coming. This was what he was afraid of. Instead of opening his eyes, he tried to push the restlessness away, concentrating on getting to that calm, dream-like state.

Unbidden and clearly unwanted, an image appeared before his eyes. The time Grace almost died. The knife had plunged, ready to take her life away without much thought. He didn't want to remember, but he had seen it. In that moment, he realized how much he needed Grace, how much he wanted her. She couldn't die without knowing that, but life was never fair. She wouldn't know and that hurt him more than he ever thought.

The image dissolved into nothing, leaving him wondering if he truly saw it as he drifted along in a trance. He stood in the middle of a room, realizing it was his own. Not the one on the ship, but back home. Home. Lorenzo missed this place, huge and lined with shelves of books. His bed was on one side, plain compared to the rest of the room. The huge windows lead out to a stone balcony that he used at night, to clear his thoughts. But as he looked around, he realized why he left. He grew up with his father, left by his mother, and every day was another day locked away in that horrible room. No one came to see him. Only dropped off his food or invitations that he had to attend some ball.

With a ripple, the image disappeared, leaving him in nothing once again. “Cap'n,” came a voice, pulling him from that trance. It was soft, gruff, but not grating. He slowly opened his eyes, staring up at Butcher, wondering why he was here. They couldn't have reached the Seer already. He wasn't out for that long. “We be 'ere.” Lorenzo sat up, rubbing his eyes and head. What a strange dream. He ran his hand through his hair, cringing at the knots that littered his tresses. “Are ya al'ight?” Butcher asked, noticing the slightly dazed look upon his captain's face.

Lorenzo nodded, standing up and slowly, methodically putting on all the layers he took off. Butcher waited. “This Seer,” Lorenzo started, buttoning up his vest. “does she have a name?”

“Best not spoken, Cap'n.” Lorenzo's brow furrowed. “Ya be understandin' in a bit.” He scoffed, but left it. Butcher was coming with him after all. He wasn't going to let the man stay behind.

“Let's go,” Lorenzo said, walking from his cabin, heading to the waiting crewmen that had lowered a dinghy for the two of them.

Hobson nodded as Lorenzo looked at him. “Safe travels, Cap'n” That was the best he was going to get out of the man, but Lorenzo accepted it, climbing down into the dinghy, Butcher right after him. They untied the ropes holding them in place and they set off. Lorenzo glanced around them, realizing they were in a bay of sorts, secluded and hidden by the land around it. Forests lined the whole bay in green with birds calling from one side to the other. It would have been a wonderful place to explore, but right now they had a mission to complete. Find the Seer.

“How far inland is she?” Lorenzo glanced at Butcher as he rowed, wondering if she was farther than either of them thought, or at the least what he thought. They didn't bring much with them. Water mostly.

Butcher grinned. “Not far, Cap'n.” Lorenzo was getting tired of Butcher's evasiveness. He wanted a straight answer. It was too hard to keep up with this Butcher. This free Butcher.

The two of them traveled in silence until they got to the sandy beach. Butcher jumped out, pulling Lorenzo and the dinghy on land, tossing in the oars. Lorenzo got out of the dinghy, landing awkwardly in the soft sand. Butcher gestured for him to follow him into the forest ahead. It was really a jungle, again.

Lorenzo picked up the water-skins, following after the large man. He pushed through the branches and vines to appear on a well traveled path. It wasn't much, but it made it easier to walk and find where they were going. Butcher looked up towards the sky several times, as if checking how much time had past, but it was hard within the thick jungle they traversed. Lorenzo was sick of jungles, but this was different than the one they were in before. More humid, if that was possible, and there seemed to be a constant drizzle. It soaked them to the bone. Lorenzo did not like this place and wished to be out of it as soon as possible.

“We be 'ere.” Lorenzo looked up confused. He didn't see anything, but then Butcher pointed up. Above them was a house, wooden and built between three large trees. Lorenzo gaped at it, wondering how that was even possible. He never seen anything like it. A tree house. “'ello!” Butcher called up, startling Lorenzo. He even jumped, grasping the hilt of his cutlass, prepared for an attack at any moment, but none came.

“I've been expecting you. Come in, come in.” Lorenzo was surprised at the rather young voice that greeted them. A rope ladder dropped down for them to use to get up. Butcher gestured with a single wave of his hand for Lorenzo to go up the rickety thing, but he didn't decline. He went up as Butcher held the ropes to help it keep steady. Once he was up, he glanced down at Butcher, watching in amazement at how he climbed up with ease. He wasn't one to go on the shrouds, but Lorenzo figured if there was no one else, Butcher could do it with how skilled he was. “Been meaning to put a weight on the end of that, but never found anything heavy enough,” the female voice said to his left. Lorenzo spun so fast he feared he would lose his balance.

Butcher came up to her chuckling. “Ah, I see ya 'ave met,” he said, brushing off his hands as Lorenzo glanced between the two of them. “Seer, we 'ave come for yer guidance.”

“I know. Come in. I have some lovely fruit.” She waved them to follow as she moved across the rope bridge with practice ease, moving into the hut like structure before her. Lorenzo glanced at Butcher, wondering if this was a good idea. “Lorenzo, I suggest you get in here if you want the answers you seek.” He was dumbfounded. She had known his name. They never said it. But that didn't ease the tension within him completely. He followed her, hand still grasping the hilt of his sword, ready to draw it if anything went wrong.

Ducking his head through the doorway, he was greeted with a simplistic styled hut. A few rugs to protect anyone's feet from getting splinters and a curtained off area to the one side, probably her bedroom of sorts. “Sit.” Lorenzo turned to her, gazing into two different colored eyes. One was ice blue as the other was brown. He sat without a word, placing his one hand on the wooden table as she shuffled around, pulling down a bowl of covered fruit, whispering something before setting it before him. Butcher stood just behind his shoulder.

She stood on the opposite, watching Lorenzo pick at the fruit, not trusting it until he took a bite. It was delicious. “Now,” she sat before him. He hadn't seen someone wear so little until he reached these jungles. Women wore nothing on top most of the time, but this woman did. A shawl of sorts, covering her breasts and shoulders, but nothing else. She also wore a skirt with her legs bare as well as her feet. Any man would want her. She was curvaceous in the right ways. “Tell me about what or rather who you want to find.” The Seer smiled, showing her black teeth, painted that way. It made Lorenzo pause. He hadn't seen that before.

Butcher nudged him from behind. Lorenzo glanced at his First Mate, glaring slightly before sighing. “I want to find a woman named Grace.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And after a year of nothing on this story, I have finally posted something! Yay! See I haven't totally forgotten this story. :)

Anyway, I haven't gone back and checked, again, for any errors, so if you see any, please tell me.

I hope you have enjoyed this chapter and revised version of this story so far. This is where the story will change dramatically.

I do not know if or when I will post the next chapter. I guess it really depends on you guys and what kind of mood I am in. But I promise I will finish this and the other stories sometime in the future.