Status: Discontinued [2018]

A Promise

Chapter Two

Kisses

Fluttery and wet fingers ran along her cheeks, effectively waking her up. Snapping her eyes open, she found unfamiliar faces above her. Beautiful, female faces. Hazel, blue, and a pair of green eyes stared down at her, watching. Grace went to say something when the female dipped her face down, pecking her lips. The maid was at a loss. She didn't know if these were women that like other women or something else entirely. Something at the back of her mind told her they were not all they seem. “Come,” slipped from the hazel eyed one. Her blond hair was slicked back, wet from swimming. Grace sat up only to gape openly at what she saw. The three women had tails, fish tails. They ranged in color from red to a gray.

Grace went to back away from them, but forced herself to stop, wondering what had they done to cause her to fear them. “There isn't much time,” the hazel eyed one said. She reached out, waiting for Grace to take her hand. Slowly, Grace set her hand into the mermaid's. “I am Salome.” Grace nodded, moving with the mermaid deeper into the water at high tide. Salome wiggled her way until she floated, dipping beneath the waves, leaving the two others on their own. Fear started to take hold again, remembering stories about how mermaids would lure men into the water to devour them.

“You have nothing to fear. We are not sirens.” Her words seemed to calm her as did the water. It felt almost right to be in the water, with a mermaid at her side. The water swirled around her as she walked deeper into the sea. She smiled softly, ducking below the surface, swimming with Salome. The red tailed Salome swirled around, making sure Grace was there and not freaking out before bringing her up to the surface. “Take a deep breath,” the mermaid ordered. Inhaling a long and deep breath, she held it just as Salome dipped back underwater, taking Grace with her. It was fast. Grace didn't even know she was moving until the water splashed against her face.

Her lungs started to burn. A familiar feeling of suffocation. It consumed her mind. That was until everything seemed to come into focus. All noises, sloshing, bubbles rising, became clear to her as did the ocean itself. It's almost like she's was the water, feeling every being within it. Tasting the beaches of sand and the rocks of the shore. All of it was surreal; something so intangible that she believed it might be true. She felt her lungs fill with air, allowing her to breathe. Salome circled around Grace, studying her. The mermaid nodded before taking off with Grace in tow.

They moved through the water at much greater speeds than what they were going before. But everything was still visible to Grace. It scared her slightly, knowing she could make out everything around her as they swam by. Salome didn't slow down until a few other mermaids joined them. They formed a protective circle around Grace and Salome before moving. They took it slower, but still went at inhuman speeds. Their arms were at their sides, not moving as their tails flipped up and down. They got their back into it as well a few times, pushing farther with each flip of their muscled back half.

Slowing to a stop, a shadow in the distance appeared before them. Salome nodded and took Grace closer to it, leaving the other mermaids where they were, waiting. Grace glanced up at the shadow floating across the water. It looked to be a ship of some kind, but she didn't know unless looking topside at it. The two of them swam up, heading straight to the surface beside the anchored ship. The side rigging, roped ladder, was still down. The blonde mermaid leaned closer, running her hands down Grace's arms, cupping her cheeks in the end. “Head up.” Lips met her own, not moving as they press harder. A feeling stirred within her, spiraling from her toes up. Salome pulled away, smiling softly. “Remember, water is your friend.” Grace nodded, still feeling the effects of the kiss, wondering why it affected her so. She, by no means, was attracted to women, but this feeling, it made her question that statement.

Scrambling up the rigging, she looked around the dark deck, searching for life. Her long dress clung to her as she stepped onto the wooden planks, not knowing what to do next. “Alice,” was all that came out of her mouth as she headed to the door that led below deck. At least she thought it did. Silently moving around, Grace lurked in the shadows before finding the one place she wanted. The captain's cabin. It was on the main deck behind the stairs leading up to the poop deck.

Placing her ear to the door, she listened, straining to hear the chatter inside. Gripping the handle, brass, she slowly twisted it, pushing open the door, hoping it didn't squeak. Grace walked into the dark entrance, making sure no one could see her. Inside were two people; two she recognized. The man, the pirate from before and Alice.

Her mistress was straddling the man's waist, smirking down at him as her hair was undone. It sprayed across her bare shoulders since her chemise sleeves had fallen down. “It's amazing you're the captain,” she leaned forward, cupping his cheeks. “at such a young age.” Grace had never known about this side of Alice, but then decided the signs were there. She would flirt with any man handsome enough to catch her eye, but always seemingly underhandedly.

The captain, the man she didn't know the name of, leaned up, capturing her lips hungrily. Alice kissed back, deepening it before pulling back, smirking. “A good kisser as well.” Grace didn't know what to do. Her mistress seemed happy as a bed mate to the pirate captain. But that left her stranded out here. It sounds so much like one of her romance novels. Grace nearly groaned at the thought.

After standing there a bit longer, Grace came to the conclusion that she should leave, head somewhere else. Stepping back, she groped around for the handle, trying to do it silently. Once her fingers brushed the metal, she pushed it down, opening the door and slipping out. Shutting it, a hand came down on her shoulder, scaring her. Jumping, she tried to turn around, but the hand held her steady. “Ya ain't ta cap'n. Not e'en the bonny lass he's got.” The large man in just trousers, eyed her up and down. “Ya not bad though. Pretty bonny lass, this one.”

Grace feared for her life as the man pulled her onto the deck, showing her to the rest of the crew that was up. Only a few were. They were watching where they were heading and dropping or raising the sails. Grace knew absolutely nothing about how a ship worked, but she didn't have time to think on that when a light was shining in her eyes.

“What have ye got the'e, Hobson?” Raising her hand to block the light from her eyes, she saw the few other members, noticing they were vastly different. One was tall and lanky. Another was short and has an eye patch. One of them was missing an arm. Another was huge, tall and muscular. He made her feel short and insignificantly small.

The man missing his arm, greasy brown hair and mud brown eyes, smiled at her as Hobson, the man holding onto her answered, “She be a stowaway. Found 'er wonderin' ta ship.” Fear tangled itself around her heart, squeezing as it stuttered for its next beat. Rigid, she feared what they might do to a stowaway, even though she wasn't one, but they wouldn't believe her if she said she swam to them. They are in the middle of the ocean! Of course they won't believe that! She squared her shoulders, standing tall with her head held high, facing this danger.

“I wish to speak with the captain. Please.” They looked at her as their smiles grow, finding something very amusing.

“And what incentive do we ha'e to do that?” the burly one asked. His voice was deep, deeper than Grace imagined. “Ye showin' up on our ship, demandin' ta see our cap'n. It be suspicious.” The others agreed quickly. She found his logic to be sound. She was suspicious, and they were just protecting their captain, or that was what it looked to be.

“Then bring him out here. I'll stay here,” she gestured to the crew, “under guard.”

“She got a point. Victor,” the short man that is missing an arm, “go get the cap'ain. Say it be urgent.” Victor scrambled away to the Captain's cabin, knocking and talking softly through the door. “What be yur name, girl?” Grace debated with herself to either lie or tell the truth, but knowing how horrible she was at lying, she decided to just tell the truth.

“Grace. Grace Rivera.”

“I seen ya befo'e. At the mansion. Yes, you we'e the'e.” Grace felt dread start to tango with fear, having a field day within herself as she stared up at the bald man, looking into his shocking green eyes. “How can ya be out he'e?” It was a question she really didn't want to answer. From word of mouth, she had learned that pirates were very superstitious. They thought almost everything was a bad omen of something or another. If she tells them that mermaids helped her, they might believe she was either a treat for them or a curse. Or it could be something totally different. Grace just didn't know.

She kept her mouth shut. The man stepped closer, waving for the man with the light, the tall, lanky one, to step forward as well. “You wouldn't believe me if I told you. It's the stuff of dreams and nightmares.” She might not be good at lying, but dancing around the truth was her specialty.

“Butcher, stop harassing our guest,” a very familiar voice commanded. Grace felt her spine lock into its position, not moving one bit as his boots thudded across the wooden deck. Hobson moved from behind her, releasing her from his hold, but she didn't move. Her gaze drifted down, eying the knots in the wood. She followed them until a warm, soothing breath fanned across her ear. “I told you we would meet again,” he whispered, sending shivers down her spine. Grace didn't know if they were of fear or pleasure or something else. She didn't know; everything that makes her her was gone, leaving a stone statue of herself in her place.

Butcher's hulk disappeared back into the shadows of the light as the captain stepped into her view. He smirked, leaning forward to look at her closer. “It's only be a few hours. How, in the name of Davy Jones, did you get out here?” One thought. One brilliant and dangerous thought came to her.

She mustered up her courage, beating down her fear and dread to look up at the captain. She made sure to forget about his features which was pretty easy when it's dark out, and she couldn't really see them. “Mermaids.” The smirk disappeared and was replaced with a frown. The rest either froze or cursed like no land-loving man would.

“Cap'n, if...” Hobson glanced at Grace, showing his scarred face. One ran down the right side as another crosses his nose. There seemed to be a slight nick in his left ear; coming from what, she didn't know. “if what she says is true...”

“No.” Everyone stopped and turned to the man, not uttering another word from their filthy mouths. “There is more to it. Girl, I don't like to be lied to. Now, tell me the truth.” Grace glanced around at the men, seeing how scared some of them look. It gave her hope that she might make it out alive.

Locking eyes with the caliginous eyed captain, Grace said, “Mermaids,” once again, “I do not lie.” He stormed forward, grasping her chin, making her look up as he stood before her. His dark, warm chocolate eyes searched her own, trying to find the lie within her windows to her soul. He searched and searched, but he didn't find it. Instead, he stepped back, releasing her chin and placing a hand on his cutlass at his hip.

“Cap'n?” Hobson asked, nervous.

“Set sail. We need to get as far away from here as possible and fast. Hop to!” Everyone scurried away, but Grace and him. They stood still, still looking at each other. For one reason or another, Grace felt like she couldn't look away or shouldn't. “My lady,” he bowed his head and gestured out with his arm back towards the stern. “This way.” Grace nodded softly, following his lead. They headed towards his cabin. Her eyes locked onto the gold buttons on his jacket. She didn't get a good look as he opened the door and gently pushed her inside. “Under no circumstances are you to leave this room. Understand? Only when I come back is it safe.” Grace didn't know how to take that, but nodded all the same. She stood there a moment before turning around and walking into the room.

Alice laid on the bed, looking up at the ceiling. When she turned, hearing Grace come in, her smile fell. She quickly sat up, pulling the sleeves of her chemise up as well. Alice did not expect to see her handmaid here, not in a million years. “Grace?” she asked, sitting on the bed and looking over the water logged girl that was older than her. “What are you doing here?” The maid simply strolled over to Alice, glancing her over. Just making sure she wasn't harmed or mistreated.

“I could ask you the same thing, Mistress.” Alice waved her hand, dismissing that statement easily enough.

“I'm not a mistress out here, Grace. No use calling me one.” Grace nodded, accepting the change even if it went against what she had been taught. “Besides, this is like a dream come true for me,” Alice gushed, staring dreamingly at the far wall. All Grace could do was stand and watch her mistress continue on. “I never thought it would work.”

“What would work?” she questioned, fearing Alice might have caused this. She might not know it now, but many people died during the raid. Sons and daughters had no mothers, no fathers and all because Alice might have called the pirates to her.

Ducking her head in embarrassment, Alice glanced at her maid. “A message in a bottle.” Grace's eyes widened, not believing Alice could be so oblivious to what that might cause in the long run. “It was harmless enough. When the pirates showed up, especially Lorenzo, I knew.” She pounds her fist into the bed, smiling. “I knew they had come for me. For me, Grace. I am like one of the heroines in my novels.” Grace swallowed the lump forming in her throat. All for a dream, Alice sacrificed her people, her family, her life, so she could become like the main characters in her novels. To live her fantasy. It sent disgust through her. What she would give to knock some sense into Alice.

“Alice, people died because of this.” Grace tried to put it as nicely as she could, but it was still a fact. Alice's face scrunches up at the thought.

“Ew.” Her mistress didn't like the image that popped into her head, but shook it off. “I did nothing wrong. Besides if you're so concerned, why didn't you leave me and help them? You left the port as well.” Her point hit Grace in the chest, knocking the wind from her lungs. She never thought she would do something like that, but she did. She left her home to save Alice, who didn't seem to want to be saved. Grace looked away, realizing she was no better than Alice. She let them die. She might have not caused it, but she left them to die and rebuild on their own. She just needed time to think.

Pulling her hair out of the bun, she ran her fingers through the tangled, saltwater drenched locks. Knowing she needed to take a bath to get the saltwater out of her hair and off of her skin, she stared at the wall, wondering what was going to happen next. Where will this ship take them? And what will happen if they try to leave? Grace didn't know. She didn't know much of anything any more. After mermaids coming to help her, she started to believe there were things in this world that weren't just myth and legend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you have enjoyed this chapter. Most of the edits were with grammar and the pirates' dialogue.

Please let me know what you think of this edited version.