Status: hiatus

Kingdom Come

uno.

I sighed as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. The bruise on my eye had turned a nasty purple, but it wasn't anything I wasn't used to by now. I shook my hair forward. The makeup I had put on had helped to hide the edges and reduce the shade of purple, but it didn't completely cover the bruise. I hoped everyone would be drunk enough not to notice.

Tonight was another one of my parent’s parties. They owned stocks and had shares in many companies, so they threw many parties because "that's what rich people do". I honestly don't understand it. My parents say they're charity events, which is just bullshit as my parents are the most uncharitable people I know. I never asked for the details, so maybe there is something to all this.

I pulled my black hair up on my head, clipped with pins. I fixed my bangs so they covered most of the bruise. The part of the bruise that could be seen could be mistaken as eyeshadow unless someone looked closely. I was in charge of keeping things running smoothly, and staying in the shadows. Of course, I had to dress up too. I would much rather put on my combat boots and go hang out with my friends, but I knew that would just result in a beating. I was hoping to skip one tonight, hoping my dad would just pass out after the party.

I sighed to myself again as I smoothed out the purple and black mesh tube dress I was wearing. I bent over to pull on the black stockings, and make sure the lace tops were hidden by the bottom of the dress. I slipped on the black ruched chiffon peep toe booties I'd bought yesterday.

I twisted a bit to look at my skinny body in the reflection. The top of the dress showed off the top of my dreamcatcher tattoo on my rib cage. I glanced down at my left wrist, looking at the tattoo of three small birds flying. I got it to symbolize being free, whenever those moments came. Mostly when I was smoking a joint, or whatever my choice of drug was that night.

I looked at the insides of my fingers; on my left hand on the right finger was an infinity tattoo. On my right foot I also had a tattoo, near my toes in the corner, of a treble clef with two lines in the circle part to make it look like a peace sign, and on the hook there was a heart. I got that tattoo when I was younger, before I quit playing music. I hated looking at it now, as it reminded me of what I used to love. I shook my head to clear it; I needed to put on my facade now.

"Rosalie!" My father's voice spat from the other side of the bathroom door. I flinched instinctively at his voice. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Yes?" I replied softly, not needing to piss him off before the night even began. Though from the sounds of it, he'd started the night before the guests arrived. I was glad Jaime was with Evelyn tonight. He didn't need to be here once the guests went home, as my earlier hopes seemed to become even slimmer in chance.

"Get your ass out of there and get this damn party started! You better not look trashy like you do every other damn day!" He said back to me. I bit my lip, took another breath and nodded to myself.

"Right away, Dad." I said nicely, quickly putting away my makeup and double checking my bangs were still placed good. Then I swiftly opened the door and was relieved when I saw my father heading back downstairs. I realized the doorbell had ringed. The early-birds were already here. I hurried down the stairs as my father, acting nice and sober, greeted the people at the door. I went into the kitchen, making sure the caterers were ready.

After checking everything was ready, more guests had shown up. There was about eight or so people already beginning to mingle, and I was sure more would be arriving soon. I was already starting to feel jittery, the effects of withdrawal. I bit my lip and told myself just a little while longer. I had to wait for more people to show, so my absence wouldn't be noticed.

I turned the music up louder as more guests arrived. Some guests noticed my presence and greeted me. I put on a fake smile and talked politely to them. A woman my mother was friends with was talking to me now, her shiny cocktail dress a bit too form-fitting. She had obviously tried too hard to look presentable, as she had a least three layers of makeup on. Her eyeliner was smudged, and her eyelashes clumped unflatteringly together. I would have laughed, had she not been right in front of me. I held back a giggle and nicely gave a reason to be excused.

As the night went on, I became more unsettled. The house was full, and guests were spilling out into the backyard to mingle. I checked the time as I happened to pass the kitchen. It was just after nine o'clock, the party had been going on for almost two hours. I needed to get out of here.

I headed up the stairs, maneuvering around party goers as I headed to my room. When I got to my room I quickly walked in and shut the door behind me. I walked over to my bed and stuck my hand under the sheets, feeling around for my small bag. It was a purple cotton drawstring bag with little containers of pills. I realized I didn't have anything to swallow them down with. I hated swallowing them dry but I didn't want to go back out there. I grimaced but grabbed three pills from a random container and forced them down. I coughed and swallowed a few times before they were all down.

Just as I was putting the bag back under my sheet, I heard the door open. I instantly shoved the bag under the sheet and straightened up, turning. There stood a boy in the doorway, looking a bit confused. He saw my face and turned apologetic.

"Sorry, I didn't know this was a bedroom. I was trying to look for a place to clean up." He said, and I noticed a stain on his white dress shirt.

I smiled softly, putting up my facade as I nodded. "Its alright, happens at almost every party. We should really put up signs sometime. I'll show you to the bathroom."

I heard him laugh lightly as I took a breath and I walked away from my bed. I led out the room, closing the door behind me. I showed him to the bathroom at the end of the hall.

"So how'd you get this?" I asked him, gesturing to the tinted stain on his shirt. He had grabbed a washcloth from the glass cupboard next to the mirror, and was beginning to wet it.

"Some asshole dropped his champagne flute on me." He said, rolling his eyes. As he looked in the mirror, trying to get the stain, I looked at his features. He had chocolate brown short curls, with deep brown eyes. He had freckles scattered across his face, with a strong muscular build about him. I noticed through his semi-see-through shirt he had a broad muscular chest. He was a few inches taller than me with my heels.

"There's always someone who gets something dropped on them." I said, shaking my head lightly. I reached into the other side of the cupboard for the stain remover. "Here," I said.

"Thanks." He said, taking it from me. It took him a few moments before he was finished. I took it back and nodded.

"I think you’re good now...." I trailed off, seeking a name.

"Brice," He answered, giving me a smile.

"Rosalie, nice to meet you." I returned his smile.

"Nice to meet you too."

We walked out of the bathroom and back into the hall. I could feel a high coming on fully from the pills I’d taken ten minutes prior. A woman came up the stairs and called Brice. He turned to me and bid goodbye, before going over to the woman and walking back down the stairs with her. I soon walked back downstairs as well, making sure no one was watching as I snuck out the door. A few people were milling around, mostly by the driveway where several cars were parked. I slip around them, sneaking off into the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I posted this before, then decided to edit and I'm much happier with it (:
This is just the intro chapter, just to introduce the characters and stuff. I promise it should get more intresting in the next chapter! (:
I love comments, so feel free to leave them!